“Great value, great neighborhood”

Clayton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a King suite with a living area, which had a lot of room for the price of $145. It included a free full, fresh breakfast buffet each morning, and I can't say enough about how delicious it was. Fresh omelets & waffles, all the hot and cold breakfast staples, and juices and coffee. The pool and workout area were nice, the lobby is beautiful. Lots of nice wood in this hotel. A couple of things we didn't like in the living room were that the sofabed was not only uncomfortable, but the cushions were falling in, and one had a cigarette burn on it. We were in a non-smoking room and it did smell like smoke. We threw a couple extra pillows on the sofa and a blanket over it and made due. The hotel is in a great location with shopping, parks, art withing walking distance. It was only about a 15 minute drive downtown. Loved the Clayton area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thanks, Denise! I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves and took advantage of the beautiful Clayton area! Everything is so close and we are so central to all that St. Louis has to offer and yes, downtown St. Louis is about 15 minutes away in the car but there is also a rail system (MetroLink) and the stop is only 2.5 blocks away - so that's always an option as well. I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast! I do apologize for the issues with the pull-out couch and I will definitely address this with my housekeeping crew. I appreciate you bringing that to our attention. We thank you very much for staying with us and we look forward to having you again next time you're in our area!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had an enjoyable stay at the Crowne Plaza hotel in Clayton (St. Louis), MO. The staff were very nice and helpful. The free breakfast buffet was huge and most days it was very good. There is an interesting indoor pool area that our kids enjoyed where they can swim underneath a barrier to be outside. We had a suite that was a good size and the price was very reasonable. There was inexpensive self parking adjacent to the hotel that was free on the weekend. Our biggest complaint is the slow elevators, and we were fortunate enough to be on the 7th floor which had separate elevators for the meeting rooms on that floor. We are going to be in St. Louis next summer for a conference downtown, and we will probably stay at this hotel and take the Metro to the convention center.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the 7th floor since there is a separate elevator.
1  Thank Carolyn A

Thank you, Carolyn, for sharing your review with us and our online community! I'm so glad to know you were pleased with your stay and found the value and level of service that we strive to deliver. It is so nice to know you will be back with us next summer! We can't wait to have you. I do understand the issue you brought up regarding the elevators, but I am very happy to say that we already have an order on the books to have them replaced in just a few months. As you saw while you were here, we do stay pretty busy during the summer and fall so we don't want to replace them just yet as that would mean the whole building would be without them. We do have a plan, though and I look forward to having you back with us next year so you will get to enjoy the new ones! Thank you again for staying with us and we'll see you next summer!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed at the Crown Plaza in Clayton while in town for the weekend. The hotel itself was clean, quiet and comfortable. Parking in their garage was free, as was the daily breakfast buffet which puts other hotel breakfasts to shame. It was really good!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thank you for your great review, hjay07! Thank you so much for the compliments on our breakfast! Yes, parking is free on Friday & Saturday nights and even during the week it is still the lowest in town at $6 per night. We thank for staying with us and I hope you will return to us again next time your travels bring you to the St. Louis area!

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We were welcomed with a smile and the majority of the staff were very courteous, friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable. However, the microwave in the room was very noisy, and parking was difficult ( spaces were at a premium on level orange). The hotel Restaurant needs a more diverse dinner menu.

• Stayed: August 2013

Hi, Free2roam3 and thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback very much and I'm so glad you had a great experience overall! I'm so glad that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful - that is very important! I know parking can be a bit difficult, but I always suggest checking in first before parking instead of trying to park and then checking in. We provide valuable instructions at check-in and there are signs all over the garage directing you to the right place. I will also share your restaurant suggestions with my team. If you see my response, please contact me at the hotel and let us know what you would like to see on the menu! Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to have you again next time!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Tired lobby, staffed by equally tired and grumpy staff.

Elevators are seemingly NOT for guests, but for housekeeping. The staff GROWNS and GRUNTS when they are unable to push their carts on the elevator because you are there first. Really....the attitude and language would have been laughable, but i was not amused. RUDE! RUDE!. I ran into these elevator natzis from housekeeping at every turn. Amazing.

Rooms are "OK" at best. Tired.

Meeting rooms are dated, as is everything else here. No consistency throughout the property.

The "Diner like" cafe was horrible.

If you are looking to revisit the '80's....come here.

Wont be back.

(OH, i am a member of Priority Club, and am a Platinum/Royal Ambassador member)

Room Tip: I went back to the Sheraton around the corner. Not typically a Sheraton fan, but this property is i...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JamesE339

Dear JamesE339, I am so sorry to read this review as this is certainly not the goal here at our hotel. I will definitely address your concerns about the elevator with my housekeeping staff - please be assured. We want you to find a hotel that can be your home away from home and I truly hope you find one that can do this. We do thank you for staying with us and for providing your valuable feedback and we wish you safe & happy travels in the future!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel four times while visiting our daughter at Washington University, all on weekends. The weekend rates are very reasonable especially considering it comes with a full breakfast for two and free parking. The hotel is old and slightly worn in common areas, but every room we’ve had has been very modern and well maintained. The staff has always been very friendly. The hotel is located in a business district, so it’s fairly quiet on weekends and there is not much within walking distance. However, the University and Forest Park is only a short drive away. I assume weekday rates are higher, given they are in the middle of an office district and parking may not be free on weekend. But for a weekend value stay, I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thanks, John and we certainly enjoy having you! Yes, I'm glad you pointed out how reasonable our weekend rates are - I would go so far as to say we are the best value not only in Clayton, but in our surrounding area as well! As you mentioned, overnight parking is free on Friday & Saturday nights (even during the week it's only $6/night - still the lowest around) and the breakfast simply can't be beat! Let's not forget the complimenrary Wi-Fi! Yes, we are in a business district, so families looking for a hot vacation spot should probably do their location research and bring a car, but again we are in such a central location that everything is only a short drive away and MetroLink is only 2.5 blocks away. Clayton is a very clean and prestigious area and although it quiets down on the weekends, there are still plenty of restaurants nearby within walking distance. Thank you again for taking the time to share and for staying with us! We certainly appreciate your recommendation and we look forward to having you again and again! -Eric

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We didn't expect much from our two-day visit here. We usually stay at the Sheraton across the street. Wow! What a pleasant surprise! We drove from Columbus, Ohio having to sit through construction outside of Indianapolis. That made for a very, very, very long day. When I came to the front desk I was so tired I could hardly walk. Yolanda, the night manager, made it a point to make me feel better. She was so polite, so kind and pure five stars in her performace. I left the front desk feeling much more as east. She was very kind to give us a room that was a short walk from the parking structure.

Our two room suite was truly beautiful. The bed was comfy and soft. The bathroom was covered wall-to-wall with Italian marble. And, every single person we met was so happy to be at work, warm smiles everywhere.

We will be sure to stop here on our next visit to St. Louis. This place was a truly delight.

We were so pleased, we sought our the general manager Rna Whitma so that he could hear from firsthand what a great job he and his staff are doing here. He was very kind as well.

Room Tip: If you're tired from a long drive, ask for a room on the second floor. These are a very short w...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much, flyingbnm, for sharing your great experience with us and the rest of our community! Reviews like this one are always so rewarding and they let us know that we have done our job, especially Yolanda! Yolanda is great asset to us and we are so fortunate to have her! I will most definitely be sharing your review with her to let her know how happy you were. I'm glad you enjoyed your room and it brings a smile to my face to read about all of the employees you had encounters with! On behalf of our entire staff, we thank you so much for staying with us and we're so happy to know you'll be back with us next time! We look forward to seeing you again SOON! -Eric

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Hampton Inn and Suites Clayton / St Louis - Galleria Area
Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis
The Hotel Majestic St. Louis
The Hotel Majestic St. Louis
#79 of 123 in Saint Louis

Been to Clayton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!