“stay here after the Cardinals game”

Clayton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
davenport, Iowa
“stay here after the Cardinals game”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stay here quite often after a Cardinals game. It is a convenient location to sites around town, the stadium and to shopping. I can get decent rates on many nights. They offer a wonderful free breakfast to (rewards) customers. We sleep well. There are two towers of rooms so always ask for what you want. It is usually hot and humid in StL so I agree with other reviewers that the pool situation is not the best but it is passable. Enjoy this nice hotel away from the crowds. The city of Clayton is a great place to spend time.

Room Tip: Ask about the two towers and the difference between the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you, Iowajeannie, for your great review and recommendation! We're glad that you enjoy your stays here and that you find value in our hotel, not to mention we're always happy to see support for the Cardinals! I'm so glad you pointed out the location - many times guests tell me that they wish they would have known just how close we are to the MetroLink rail system. It really is only 2.5 short walking blocks away from the hotel and it will drop you off right in front of Busch Stadium - and for around $4 per person round-trip, you can't beat it! I also want to point out that breakfast is actually included for all of our guests, not just IHG® Rewards Club Members. Yes, the pool can be a bit stuffy since half of it is indoors, but the outdoor section usually stays nice and cool and is shaded for a good part of the day. Our two room types offered are the Standard Rooms and then the Executive Tower Rooms. While both are perfectly accommodating and updated, the Executive rooms do offer a larger floor plan and bigger bathrooms - and yes, they also sell for a bit more. Just make sure to check availability at the time of booking and see what's available! Again, thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to having you back soon! -Eric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

The staff at this hotel was the best I have encountered anywhere. Every person in every job from pool to housekeeping to front desk to dining room could not do enough to make our stay pleasant. My 6 yr old grandson was treated with as much respect as wedding guests we observed there. Perfect location for going to all attractions. Delicious food with varied menu. Indoor and outdoor pools next to game
room requiring no money! Indoor parking garage and great buffet breakfasts included. We would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank MadreJ
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you so much, MadreJ, for taking the time out of your day to review our hotel and recommend it to others! We are delighted to know that you had such an enjoyable stay and you have rewarded our staff with your compliments! We hope you will come back and stay with us next time you're in St. Louis and we thank you so much for staying with us! Enjoy the rest of your summer and we wish you safe travels ahead!
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is the hotel where my husband stays on business so I knew from his previous stays that when we visited on a family vacation, it would be a pleasant experience and I was not disappointed. ALL of the staff were very friendly and professional, from check-in to the comfortable Concierge Lounge on the corporate level, and in the restaurant where we enjoyed a delicious free breakfast thanks to the breakfast passes. I was impressed by the hotel owner who personally greeted all of the tables in the restaurant at breakfast. I know that's just good business, but it made us feel especially welcomed and I appreciate that. Our room was very tastefully decorated with wood laminate flooring, very comfortable beds and the bathroom was incredible - deep soaking tub, separate shower stall. We did use the swimming pool and while I did also wish there was a hot tub, the pool water was pleasantly warm/comfortable and there were ample towels available. Swimming under the divider was a bit odd, but I understand why it's like that considering the weather elements and to keep birds and insects from flying through. The sauna was closed while we were there and the pool area looks to be in the need of a good spruce up, but the gym area in a separate area from the pool, looked very state of the art and there was also a free gaming room which certainly would be enjoyable for children and teens (or kids at heart). :) Despite the possible need to renovate "a bit" around the pool area, our entire stay was so enjoyable that we'll definitely return while on pleasure again and I now know that staying on business here is nothing short of excellence as they definitely aim to please.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Well, Luckyone2002, we certainly thank you for your kind words! Our staff is dedicated to providing friendly, hospitable accommodations and it is quite rewarding for us to receive a review like yours! We're so glad you enjoyed all of f the amenities and I do want to point out that we are nowhere near done with our renovations. As you can imagine, the summer is a busy time and we cannot afford to be without our pool area, but we have plenty of improvements yet to come - we're excited about all of them and we hope you will be able to enjoy them when you come back next time! The gym does feature Life Fitness equipment and we have recently added personal TV's to the treadmills, etc. - so thank you for noticing! We are fortunate to have your husband with us so often and we hope you'll be able to make it back out again soon - please stop by and say hello when you do. Thanks again for sharing and take care! -Eric
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Knowing that Clayton is an upscale area of St. Louis, I decided to book in at this hotel, despite the fact that I noticed there is a large amount of variety on the opinions here on Trip Advisor about this hotel--which in my opinion is never a good thing. So, the pros first: a great business center, beautiful lobby, and charming style of an older hotel building--not the cookie cutter newer hotels. The service was friendly and accommodating--they even let me check in a bit earlier than expected. The bed was huge (even though it was marked as a queen room) and I liked the fact that the floors were made to look like wood--it just felt cleaner to me. The soaps provided in the bathroom were of a higher standard than most hotels and quite refreshing. Now...I am a big swimmer, and had hopes of using the pool to swim laps that afternoon before going out. The pool is an indoor/outdoor pool, and there is a divider that you had to swim under in order to get outside. Thus, the way the pool is structured, it was nearly impossible to swim laps. Had this divider been removed, it would have been no problem. So, this was a let down. There is no hot tub to enjoy, which was a disapointment, and the sauna is disgusting. Firstly, there is graffiti carved into the wood, it wasn't all that hot, and in fact, if you sat on the lower benches, you really felt no heat at all. There was also no door handle on the inside of the door to close it with, so after standing there for a minute trying to figure out how to close the door, it dawned on me to put my hand on the top of the door (where there is a big open space that all the heat must seep out of) and slam the door shut this way. Come on guys--how a hotel of your standing can have such a nasty and poor quality recreation area is beyond me! As many others have said--time for a major refurbishment in this area. I never did find any workout room...after what I saw in this area, I am not sure I'd want to use it any way. One other issue I encountered was the fact that the room just never quite got cool enough--and always had a humid feel to it. This greatly affected the quality of my sleep such that it was poor. I do have to say that the breakfast in the morning was excellent--tons of food and all really good!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank greyhoundymom
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you, greyhoundymom, for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. I appreciate you providing such a detailed review of your experience and I'm also glad to know that you did find some pros to your stay. I am disappointed though, particularly to hear about the dry sauna. People use it all the time and I have never heard anything like this, but I will definitely be looking into it and addressing with our facility management team! Yes, the pool is indoor/outdoor so that we can keep it open all-year round - and yes, there is a divider that you have to swim under so I apologize for the surprise factor there. Regarding the hot tub, we do not claim to have one and we never have. The workout room is actually very modern with private TV's on the equipment and it boasts premium LifeFitness™ equipment - I'm so sorry you weren't able to find that! We do thank you for staying with us and hope that you will return to us in the future! Please feel free to contact me personally if you do so that I can make sure you are well-accommodated. -Eric
Twin Cities, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

My mother and I stayed here two nights while we were visiting Washington University. We were extremely pleased with the stay. The elevators were a little confusing at first, but after the first night we were pros. Our room with two beds was extremely spacious, with beautiful hardwood floors and very tall beds. The AC unit confused us for a while, until we discovered it was controlled by an electronic device on the wall. We were on the very end of the hallway on an upper floor so it was a long walk, but I think that helped with noise. We only saw one other person on our floor during the entire stay, and we didn't hear anyone during the night. The free continental breakfast here makes every other hotel's pale in comparison. It's a full hot buffet with made-to-order omelets and waffles. There's also a ton of fruit, cereal, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, etc for those who aren't fans of a heavy breakfast. Don't forget to tip the hardworking wait staff! The hotel is only minutes away from the University, but make sure you have a GPS or something so you can navigate your way out of Clayton. A plus is the hotel is only a few blocks away from a bunch of restaurants. The neighborhood felt very safe and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Park on the orange level. Ask for a free cold bottled water at the desk. Get the continental breakfa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you, Hanna, for your wonderful review! We are so happy that you and your mother enjoyed yourselves! I know those A/C's are confusing at first, but they're controlled by an actual thermostat on the wall just like we have at home. I'm glad you weren't disturbed and yes, the breakfast certainly offers a nice variety! Clayton can be a little confusing, but it's a beautiful area and we're glad you found the proximity to Washington University to be convenient! If you come back to visit the college again or are coming back to St. Louis, we hope to have you back with us! Thanks for staying with us and take care! -Eric
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

First of all, based on the pictures (and the outrageous price I paid) I expected a rather upscale place, or at least not a travel lodge. Unfortunately the hotel is in a strange industrial part of town that looks abandoned and feels uncomfortable. The exterior is outdated, the interior is badly decorated and outdated.

When I got to the front desk the staff member was so rude I had to ask for the manager to complain. Just flat out hateful to me! The manager gave me free parking and I thought the troubles were over. But no. The garage was a mess, and totally impossible to navigate! There were doors to other buildings labeled "lobby" but it was for another building! I was carrying heavy luggage with no clear place to go!

The room ended up being large with comfortable beds, so I calmed down and tried to relax by going to the pool. BIG MISTAKE. It smelled like human pee and the floor was slimy. The outdoor section was tiny and the entire pool had a black ring of caked on dirt and mold that made me feel disgusting and unsafe.

I didn't think it could get any worse but then the air conditioner malfunctioned and was extremely noisy banging and creaking. I didn't get any sleep and when I complained about everything in the morning I was met with scoffs and rudeness. I wish there was something else I could do to make sure no one has this experience.

Don't ever stay here and waste your money. Pay to stay somewhere else

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lucibelladonna
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We thank you so much for your feedback but we are pained to see read your disappointing review. I do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered, but I do try to address each issue so that future travelers may be able to avoid the same confusions. I remember you and I know there were some issues with your credit card and pet deposit, but I apologize if you felt mistreated. When I spoke with you, I wrote directions for you to go park and which entrance - but for future travelers, please know that there are signs clearly posted on each floor of the garage directing you to our entrance. You bring up an interesting point that I would also like to address - the location. Clayton is actually a very clean, prestigious suburb of St. Louis County and yes, downtown Clayton (where we are located) is a business, financial and government district - so yes, things do kind of die down on the weekend. At the same time though, many restaurants are lively during the weekends and our central location makes it easy to get just about anywhere in St. Louis. Sometimes it helps to research before booking in St. Louis so you know where you're going to be staying. As far as the pool goes, the pool was very busy that weekend and we have attendants down there every hour. I have never heard reports of anything black anywhere, but I will definitely keep on the lookout. Again, I sincerely apologize that we weren't the location you expected but we do thank you for staying with us and wish you a wonderful summer with safe and happy travels ahead!
Syosset, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for one night on a college tour. The town is very clean and the location very good. The problem I had was with the room and the lack of any privacy. If anyone flushed their toilet above, same floor or below you would hear it. Conversations were easily heard from adjacent rooms. The hardwood floors were nice but I think played a role in the great acoustics!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you, stentdoc, for your valuable feedback! I'm disappointed to know that the noise level lead to a less than pleasant experience. I hope you will return to us in the future and if you do, perhaps we can get you on the top floor or get you towards the end of a hallway to help avoid extra noise. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you enjoyed Washington University!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
The Cheshire
The Chase Park Plaza
The Chase Park Plaza
#31 of 121 in Saint Louis
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,058 reviews

Been to Clayton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!