“tiny room, good amenities, excellent staff”

Clayton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Oakland, California
“tiny room, good amenities, excellent staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

we stayed in room with one king bed and the room is small and the bathroom is tiny. but it had a good size fridge and a microwave which was a big win. room was clean, bed was comfy. staff was very nice. it was noisy, our room was close to the tiny elevator, and we could hear everything out in the hallway. all in all, a-okay.

Room Tip: the building is old, and you can hear everything out in the hallway. we were very close to the eleva...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yasmin k
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We're glad you enjoyed the room amenities and found the staff to be so nice! It seems you were in a smaller standard room - but if you ever stay with us again, try reserving a 2-room suite or a room in our Executive Tower if you're looking for more space to roam around. We hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had everything you might need except free parking and free wifi in the room. Great location. Great restaurant in the hotel. Excellent staff in the hotel and the restaurant! Other places to eat are within walking distance and Clayton is a good central location for all the greater St. Louis area. Bed was comfortable and the bathroom was well done when remodeled. Indoor/outdoor pool and gym were a plus as well. I'll definitely stay again when traveling to St. Louis for either work or with the family!

Room Tip: The higher up you go the better the view of downtown Clayton.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us! We are so pleased to know our staff was appreciated and that you enjoyed the restaurant. Clayton is a great location and we're glad you agree! I do want to point out, however, that our Wi-Fi is free to all guests throughout the entire hotel and restaurant. Yes, we do charge for parking, but we also offer the lowest parking charges here in Downtown Clayton - at only $6 per night flat-rate (Sun-Thur) and then FREE parking on Friday and Saturday nights. We're glad you'll be coming back and we can't wait to have you with us again! Safe Travels!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

My family of four stayed here for a trip to explore St. Louis. We had reservations for a downtown hotel by the Arch, but canceled them after reading horrible reviews on bedbug registry dot com. Crowne Plaza was not on the list as of March 28, 2013 so we gave it a try. 10 miles from the city didn't matter to us. The neighborhood that this hotel is in, is very nice. We enjoyed looking at the beautiful stately homes. The hotel is sort of a boutique hotel. Old, but they are remodeling. We stayed on the Concierge floor 6. The Concierge floors are on 5 and 6. We paid a decent rate of a little over a hundred and twenty. We had hardwood floors and comfy pillow top beds. Marble in the bath with a separate glass shower with nice water pressure. The room was very clean, the floors actually shined. I could not find a speck of dust! The temperature controls worked good. The only thing is that the walls are thin. I could hear the woman next door walking around her room and flushing the toilet. My husband could hear me talking to my kids from outside the room. Free parking on the weekends, and $6 to park for week days with in and out. Over all, I'd stay here again only if the Concierge rooms were open. The other rooms were down small smelly hallways. These narrow Carpeted hallways actually smelled of curry. I have read this in other reviews as well, so I am sure this was not in my imagination. The concierge floors had big wide hallways with tall ceilings. Another cool thing is that we got free breakfast for all four of us on every day of our stay! The breakfast was the best free hotel breakfast we had ever had. I am NOT kidding. The hotel restaurant is dark and oddly shaped and is more like a bar, but the food was hot and fresh and delicious. The woman making omelets and waffles was amazing so make sure you tip her well! The bus staff was fast and courteous. There was a manager woman running around. She was obviously frazzled due to the amount of people, but she came off as rude. Never a smile. I did see her muttering under her breath several times. But, like I said the other staff was great and selection and quality if the food was amazing. There was a pool that went from inside to outside with a swim under wall. The inside pool area looked dated and needed a paint job. The kids stuck to swimming outside in the heated water. The exercise room was decent. I did notice a lot of smudges and hand prints on the windows and doors in the common areas.

Room Tip: Pick concierge floor 6 if you can. Ask for hardwood floor room.
1 Thank HomeSweetHome4me
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear HomeSweetHome4me,

Ferdinand G.
Ft. Thomas, KY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here to be close to my colleague's office. The lobby of the hotel is very beautiful so I expected the same of other parts of the hotel. The woodwork for the most part looks original and has been well maintained. The elevators were shabby and in need of some cosmetic work. The keycard reader on my door was in bad repair and required about 10 scans of the card before the door unlocked. My room was fine - clean and with a comfy bed - but plain and institutional in appearance. It was small and with curious laminate flooring rather than carpet. The marble in the bathroom was nice but spoiled by how the shower head just stuck through. Little things like the toiletries, clock and TV were very nice. The biggest disappointment was the restaurant. There was no host or hostess on duty so I seated myself. When I got settled I realized that there was salt or some granular substance on the table. The waiter seemed more interested in the sporting event on the TV. There was a spray bottle of some sort of cleaning fluid on the back of the other side of the booth in which I seated myself. The meal was fair but nothing special. Likewise the breakfast the next morning, when I noticed that the other coffee cup on my table was not thoroughly washed. This hotel could be a gem given its location; however, it needs a lot of attention.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear 27Love2travel,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and we hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

I look forward to having the opportunity to host you in the near future to allow you to experience our commitment to quality and service.

Krysllin G.
Evansville, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stay in Clayton when we visit our daughter who attends a University in the area. They have updated some areas without taking the time to do the "full-monty" and it is time. Good location, service is average and the breakfast is better than your average hotel breakfast. I would stay again for convenience but that is the only reason.

Room Tip: I am told there are two towers and one is nicer than the other all I know is the elevator and tower...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear ColonelTim,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we thank you for sharing your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Leawood, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We only stayed one night but had a good experience. Best part was a free arcade game room off the pool area - the pool was fine (pretty average indoor hotel pool), but the added opportunity to play some free games (frogger, race car, etc.) was great entertainment for the kids. We had room service and the food was good. The included breakfast was good and the hotel manager made a point of introducing himself and checking to see if we needed anything. The hotel itself shows its age a bit, but it is clean. The location was good - about two blocks to metro station.

Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located right in the city center area of Clayton. There is a work out facility and a pool. The rooms are clean and include a fridge and a microwave. I stayed in 215, so it's just down the hall from the workout room and above the breakfast buffet.

My only gripe was the shower...sounded like a helicopter landing in the walls when the water was running. Not sure if they have a pulsing machine or something but it was loud. Noticed it when the room next to us took a shower too. Otherwise a nice stay and I've been back 2-3 times.

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
The Cheshire
The Chase Park Plaza
The Chase Park Plaza
#31 of 121 in Saint Louis
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,058 reviews

Been to Clayton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!