New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Clayton Plaza Hotel

Clayton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
New York
“Reasonable Place to Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This hotel has definitely seen better days but my room was nice and clean. The staff are all very friendly from the doormen to the reception area and the dining room. The included breakfast is a good deal with a full buffet including a chef making fresh omelets. I was pleasantly pleased to be approached by the owner at breakfast. He obviously takes pride in his hotel and cares about what his clients have to say.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Paulette, thank you for your feedback! We're glad you found a clean room and friendly staff and that you enjoyed the included amenities! I'm glad you got to meet the hotel owner at breakfast too! Yes - he cares a tremendous deal about our guests, just as the rest of our wonderful staff. We hope you'll stay with us again next time you're in St. Louis! Safe Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Sikeston, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

May be outdated but I think it is a wonderful view of the past and hope they keep it just the way it is. Beautiful architecture, flooring, wood paneling in places. Bed was comfy, room was large. Bathroom was clean. Like most, think the pricing is too high as our total was $166 for two double beds but as many places were full would think they are able to charge this. Breakfast is awesome, made-to-order omelets and waffles, everything from fruit to biscuits and gravy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you, Mopesty, for taking the time to share your review. We are delighted to know you appreciated our warm ambiance as much as we do! We cherish the classic architecture and we're currently redesigning to bring in the modern touches. We're so glad you enjoyed yourself and found value in our hotel - we hope you'll come see us again soon! Thanks again on behalf of our entire staff!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Please acknowledge the staff members
Jeremy
Amanda
Nikki
And Eric Howard

They took us in and treated us as family after we were stranded in st Louis after the snow storm. They fed us and kept us happy and comfortable. These employees showed incredible work ethic and ability to please and accommodate people in times of stress. Thank you so much Jeremy, Nikki, Amanda, and Eric Howard

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
On behalf of everyone mentioned, thank you so much to you and the rest of the wonderful Southwest crew! We had such a great time with you all and we're so glad you got to stay with us! Please do come back and see us next time you're in the area. See you in Chicago! -Eric
Wichita
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am on a budget would be better if rate was $15 to $20 lower great food in the restaurant 50 places to eat and or drink within approximately 2 blocks inside parking Amanda the bar tender is awesome
always with a smile seems to really enjoy taking care of her customers with pride

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
CRITICCC, thank you for sharing your comments with us! Amanda is a great bartender and she really does take pride in her guest service. Thank you so much for your compliment and I will make sure she receives your commendation! Although I know this area is can be a bit more pricey than the rest of St. Louis, I am also confident that we offer the best value in Clayton - especially in periods of high demand. We hope you’ll stay with us again if you’re ever in the area! Thank you again for taking the time and we wish you safe travels! -Eric
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Great people in all areas of the hotel. I had a room on the 5th (Concierge) floor and was stunned when I opened the door and stepped into the room. The carpeting is clean, but an odd seafoam color. That wasn't what stunned me though, it was the quantity of the floor! (I later stepped it out at 30 by 20 or so.) Inside the door, I realized my room had a forest green, heart-shaped spa tub next to my bed. How retro is that?

The room was quiet and the bed linens were very clean. Rather Ethan Allen circa 1979, but so what. It was clean and worked. At least the tv was new. And you get free hbo & cinemax. Sometimes, after a busy day working & traveling. That's enough. I was a little worried that I would get up at night and hit my shin on that spa tub. It looked like it would hurt!

Room also had a small kitchen sink, fridge & microwave to go with the standard coffeemaker.

Best of all is the Concierge Lounge and breakfast offered if you're a Priority Rewards member. I'm only at the base level, but was given access to a breakfast buffet with bottled water & sodas to take for the day. In addition, from 5:30 - 9pm daily, they offer free cocktails and appetizers.

It's not the most updated hotel, but very comfortable and quirky, in a fun way.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cassyt
Thank you, Cassy, for sharing your experience with our community! We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and that our service exceeded your expectations! We love nothing more than to hear about great service received by one of our valued guests. It sounds like you were upgraded to a Honeymoon Suite - my apologies if you were surprised, but again I'm glad you enjoyed the large room. We hope to have you with us again soon and thank you again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I was in Clayton for a retirement party so didn't stay in the room much the entire weekend. The lobby is GORGEOUS. The staff are friendly and helpful. Love the free breakfast! Caveats: the tiny rooms. The outdated decor on guest floors. The yucky faux parquet floors in the rooms. Free WiFi is awesome. The free parking is great too except it's difficult to navigate from garage to hotel. Would I stay here again? Probably. But I would spend as little time in the hotel as possible.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank andetherunner
Thank you, andetherunner for taking the time to share your review with our community! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating! I am sorry that you didn’t care for the hardwood floors though. Hard surfaces are trending now because of their cleanliness and hypo-allergenic properties. You will be glad to know that our new furniture arrives daily and I hope you will come check it out next time you’re in St. Louis! Thanks again and safe travels! -Eric
Boonville, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I recently stayed at this property and received a Platinum Priority Club upgrade. The room was well-furnished and included a flat-screen TV, but most of the hotel looks like it's stuck in the early 1980s. The lobbies and public areas looked like they were stuck in the 1970's. I noticed there were several electrical sockets that didn't have faceplates on them, and one of the lamps had a burned out light bulb. I think someone on staff there needs to do a better maintenance check of the rooms on a regular basis.

The staff was INCREDIBLY friendly. They were helpful, courteous, and seemed genuinely interested in making sure I was satisfied with my accommodations.

Figuring out which elevator to take to which floor was an adventure. Depending on which of the two buildings you're staying in, you have to select the correct elevators. In the Bemiston Tower, only one of the two elevators stops on the level for the garage.

On weekends, when the concierge lounge is closed (and why is that? Would there really be an issue with having the lounge open on weekends, even if it's just self-service?), they provided a certificate good for a free breakfast buffet at the Plaza Bar and Grill (on-site restaurant), but this was a disappointing experience. No bacon (only sausage), biscuits and something that resembled, but did not taste like, gravy. Fruit that wasn't very ripe, and a waitress that kept insisting on bringing coffee even though I stated I didn't care for any.

The exercise room is well-appointed, and I enjoyed using it. The pool, however, looks like it's in extreme disrepair. Even though it was an indoor pool, there were all kinds of leaves in it. There were also several holes in the ceiling. Some look like they had been cut to provide access to stuff in the ceiling, others looked like water damage.

Attached to the pool is a video game arcade, where all the games are free - no coins required. Kids will like this! I had a stroll down memory lane as I played Frogger, a game I remember growing up with in the 80's.

The location was great! It's two minutes from the Galleria, five minutes from the Fox Theatre, and ten minutes from downtown St. Louis.

All-in-all, I would probably stay at this property again, but ONLY because it's affiliated with Priority Club, my loyalty program of choice. If a nice Holiday Inn opened up near Clayton, I'd probably go there rather than return to this Crowne Plaza again.

Management: Time to spend a little money and update the property. You've got an awesome location here, and a property that has a LOT of potential. You can have one of the premiere properties in the area but find a consultant who can help bring this hotel into the current century, please.

Room Tip: Get a room that's NOT in the Bemiston Tower. This appears to be the older of the two sections o...