“Exactly what we needed.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Clayton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Sarasota, Florida
“Exactly what we needed.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a hotel on the west side of St. Louis with easy access to a Metrolink station and the highway (I-64). The Crowne Plaza in Clayton met those needs perfectly, and at a reasonable price.
Every single staff person we encountered at the hotel was extremely nice and helpful. While making our way from the parking garage to our room (with luggage in tow), an employee on the cleaning staff happened to walk by and immediately stopped to make sure we knew how to find our room. She pointed us to the right elevators and even told us which direction to turn once we exited the elevator on our floor. Our king sized bed was comfortable, and it was especially helpful to have a mini fridge and microwave in our room. We found the room to be clean and satisfactory. Our only complaint would be that sound does carry through the walls. While in the bathroom, I could hear our neighbors using the toilet and shower, as well as snippets of conversation. This didn't bother us at night, though; we had the air conditioning on and couldn't hear a thing.
The Clayton Metrolink station is only 2 or 3 blocks away and about a mile away, we found a giant shopping district which includes the Galleria mall complex and many, many other stores. We had access to everything we needed, including downtown St. Louis - which was about 10 minutes away by car and 20-30 minutes away by Metro.
The room also included a free breakfast; but, we did not partake, so I cannot speak to the selection. Still, not many hotels offer free breakfast, so this could definitely be considered a plus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! Our wonderful staff loves nothing more than to hear that you found us to be friendly and helpful – so again, thank you! I am glad you found value in your stay and that you had everything you wanted within reach! We look forward to having you with us again next time you’re in St. Louis. Best Regards & Safe Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Outside appearance is like of an up-scale hotel. Main lobby looks really nice and that's where it ends. The front desk personnel could be more friendlier. Hallways were remodeled at one point in time but the work was never completed. A/C in our room sounded like it was going to explode. I notified the front desk in the morning, and the lady said thanks for letting us know. No fan in the bathroom. Parking is free which is a plus. Complimentary breakfast was great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us! We are always looking for opportunites to improve, so I welcome your contact at the hotel directly. I would very much appreciate your opinion as to what we could have done better. I do apologize for the issues with your A/C. When traveling, it is always my suggestion to alert the front desk of any issues you experience right away so that it can be fixed. I am very glad to know you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast though! I look forward to hearing from you. -Eric
louisville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel just felt dirty. I think our rooms were in the older, unrenovated section of the hotel although the photos supplied here do match our rooms. The hotel staff were all helpful and friendly. I almost pulled out my iPhone to take photos of the dirty caulk around the bathroom sink but didn't. The marble baseboard to the side of the toilet looked like it hadn't been dusted off in years, it was literally caked with filth. The lamps in our room were "flourescent" type and barely lit the rooms. I couldn't see to get things out of my suitcase.

Room Tip: My advice: don't stay here, or ask to stay in newer, more recently renovated rooms, if they exis...
Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I am so sorry that you were dissatisfied with your stay because we do value your patronage. Please be assured that I have addressed your concerns with our housekeeping department, and I sincerely thank you for bringing them to our attention. With regards to the light bulbs, I completely understand what you are talking about. Earlier this year we had tried the energy efficient bulbs, but we did notice they don’t get quite as bright as others. We are currently in the process of replacing them all with standard bulbs. Most of our rooms have already been renovated, but I would be interested to know which room you stayed in. I would welcome your call or contact at the hotel directly and would be happy to help in any way that I can. Thank you!
Roaming Endlessly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

We've stayed in several different areas including downtown St. Louis and outside the city. This was our first visit at this location. My impression of downtown St. Louis is that it's so dirty, not a pleasant place to be outside or even walk down the block, in my opinion.

This Crowne Plaza and its location were such a refreshing change. The hotel itself was clean and even fresh smelling in all the public areas. The attached parking garage is convenient if you have a car. A breakfast buffet was included and it was terrific with lots of hot choices. The fitness center had the typical hotel equipment but plenty of options and space. Hotel staff was friendly from the front desk, restaurant, anyone we passed in the hall.

It was a little odd to not have carpeting in our room, I don't think we've experienced that in an American hotel before but, we prefer it from a cleanliness standpoint. The surrounding area is great if you want to get outside and stretch your legs, but if you're looking for shopping or restaurants you'll have to drive or take their shuttle.

A great experience and we’d definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you so much Colette & Jim for reviewing our hotel! I am so happy to know you enjoyed yourselves and the lovely city of Clayton in general! You are right – Clayton is a very nice, clean city and we love it too! There are so many nice restaurants nearby and the best part is that you don’t need a car to get around! On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for your kind words and we hope you’ll come back and see us next time you’re in St. Louis! Best regards and safe travels! –Eric
Palatine, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Went to St Louis for the 1st time to attend Joyce Meyer's Women's Conference. Stayed at this Hotel. Girl at the front Desk who checked us in was great! Room was ok but I did not like the fact theat it was not carpeted. Great Breakfast! Super cheap Parking! We paid $6 first night and the rest of the time it was complimentary- Got to be at that high rate!!!

Room Tip: Not sure if all the Rooms are not carpeted!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Nokie, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our community! I hope you enjoyed Joyce Meyers and I’m glad you got to stay with us in Clayton. I know some people are not used to the hardwood floors, but it is trending in the industry because of its cleanliness benefits. Isn’t the free parking on Fridays & Saturdays great? Come see us again for the next convention – we all look forward to having you and thanks again!
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Free wi-fi, free breakfast, refrigerator and microwave in room. The wi-fi and breakfast are newly added amenities. Weekend parking was free. Second time staying here within 2 years and a little surprised some renovations are still not completed. Maybe there were lots of updates. Our room was very clean and we liked the hardwood floors and marble in the bathroom. Bed was very comfortable and noise level from adjoining rooms was not noticed. Breakfast service was well done with food being replenished often. That was important since dining area was quite full of guests but line moved quickly.
Two issues noticed: 1. One of the cooks and a female were having an animated verbal argument on the terrace outside of the restaurant late in the afternoon. My wife and I were walking by on our way to a different restaurant and could hear their very loud bantering for at least a block. Very unprofessional! 2. We only stayed one night but at 9 a.m. a knock at our door was a housekeeper who was ready to clean our room. I figured we would not be bothered since we would be leaving before the 12 noon checkout. The housekeeper seemed a little put off: She asked that we hang the do not disturb sign on our door to avoid her knocking again. That's actually the first time I've ever had a housekeeper arrive that early. She didn't even apologize for interrupting our morning. We had only been up for 45 minutes and were getting ready to go down for breakfast. Just a weird moment.
Other than that, everyone else in the hotel from desk clerks, waiters, and porter were extremely polite, efficient, and friendly.
Area is good since it is very close to the Galleria, a very nice mall, and there are several high quality restaurants in downtown Clayton which were all within a short walking distance from the hotel.
There are 3 different elevators that all go to different areas of the hotel. Pay attention to the instructions from the desk clerk or you may be hunting for your room for awhile. The hotel is chopped up a bit so navigating is not as easy as most hotels.
We will definitely stay here again even with the minor complaints. The location, free amenities, and price were all factors in us staying here. We hope the hotel renovations continue to make this an even better valued hotel.

Room Tip: Higher rooms may help with noise level of the street though Clayton during the weekend is very quiet...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for reviewing our hotel, KCDouglas! I’m glad you enjoyed the newly added amenities, and yes – all reservations include breakfast, Wi-Fi, fridge and microwaves. We have stayed busy, and yes the renovations seem like an ongoing project at times, but we are confident that our guests will enjoy them when they are complete! We’re always improving! I am sorry to hear about that issue in the restaurant and with your housekeeper, but please be assured that I have addressed these concerns with the appropriate departments. Thank you on behalf of our staff for the kind words – service is our #1 priority! We hope to have you with us again. -Eric
Upstate NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was in St.Louis on a conference and this was the recommended hotel.

My experience was fine. Check in was smooth, the room was very clean and the beds are very comfortable (and the tubs are luxuriously deep). There's a free shuttle service ("gratuities appreciated") that will take you to dinner (and pick you up), to the airport, to stores, etc. And the conference rooms were comfortable with all the a/v equipment working very well.

I had trouble regulating the temp in my room, and others at the conference said the same thing. Everyone said the room varied from way too cold to way too warm no matter how we set the thermostats.

The little card in the room said that they're very green conscious and if you want to use a towel again, just hang it up. If you want fresh towels, put them on the floor. Well, they should tell their housekeeping staff about that plan because every day I had new towels even though I followed their direction. Others reported the same thing. And each day they took away my bar of soap (which I had used maybe 4 times) and left me a fresh bar. What do they do with all those virtually-new bars of soap, I wonder?

The free breakfast buffet was okay. The scrambled eggs were runny and the choices were pretty typical, but there was certainly enough food to get you ready for the day. I didn't have a made-to-order omelet, but others said they were tasty.

The fitness room was well-equiped and the machines I used worked well. It's also open 24 hours a day which is a nice perk.

The computer in the "print your boarding pass" are worked perfectly and check out went well.

Great choice for a business trip - it's not really set in a tourist area, so I'm not sure I'd select this one for a vacation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you, Bookworm426, for taking the time to share your experience with us! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the amenities that we provide. We’re please to know you enjoyed our nice fitness center, and yes – next time you’re here you will have to order an omelet! Thank you for bringing the “Green Engage” concern to my attention. I will definitely look into that. Again, thank you for staying with us and please do come see us again next time you’re in Clayton!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
The Cheshire
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,028 reviews
Seven Gables Inn
Seven Gables Inn
#4 of 5 in Clayton

Been to Clayton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!