WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Annapolis, Maryland
“Inexpensive Clayton Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Staye here two nights for business. Rooms are nothing great, but they do have a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Staff is friendly, and the morning breakfast is included in some room rates. Parking is $6/night, and includes in/out privileges.

Park on the orange level of the garage to be near the skywalk to the hotel. Also there is ally access to the garage if you don't want to mess with the tight turn under the hotel. There is a full workout room with free weights, machines, tv's and a cooler. Good size and open 24hrs. Also there is a pool, though I didn't use it, looked nice.

I've stayed here before and would do so again. Also they are pet friendly!

• Stayed August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you, stlpilot, for sharing your experience! We are glad to know you enjoyed yourself and we look forward to having you with us again soon. From what I can see, you must have been in one of the few rooms that are still in queue to be renovated. We are working steadily everyday to complete every room, and anticipate to be done with our guest room renovations by the end of the year! Hopefully, next time we will have one available so you can see for yourself. Thanks again and we'll see you soon! - Eric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

The first room I was given was visibly dirty and very outdated. I reported this to the front desk and they moved me to a room that was a little better overall. This is an old hotel that really has not had much in the way of updates. They still have the old window air conditioners that make a lot of noise. They carpets in the halls are worn and dirty looking. Also, I could hear people in the hall and in other rooms at all hours. The indoor/outdoor pool was also dirty. I will say that the staff was very courteous.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Circelli1
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us, and I am glad that you were pleased with the staff. I do apologize for any inconvenience you encountered, but please be assured that we are currently in the process of taking on some major renovation projects - which do tend to take longer in the summer. However, we look forward to our many upgrades getting completed as we move towards the winter months. I hope that you will come back to us next time you're in the area so you can see the changes for yourself! Thank you again and safe travels!
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Nice clean room though small. Very comfortable bed, marble tile in bathroom, very clean, lots of places to eat in vicinity and not far from college eatery strip (can,t remember name of street). Nice selection of food and good service for continental breakfast, except when they are really busy and they are easily overwhelmed and service/food availability deteriorates. Also, when hotel is full then housekeeping and front desk assistance also suffers.
We stayed a couple weekdays and everything was excellent. Then came weekend when they were full - housekeeping missed our room and only response was "sorry, here is a roll of toilet paper and some packets of coffee".
So the place can be great when not busy. But stay away when you would expect the place to be full.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1CoolHiker
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I'm so glad that you enjoyed yourself and appreciated the location - we love it too! I do believe you were referring to the Delmar "Loop" on Delmar Blvd. That is a great strip near Washington University packed with restaurants and shops, and there is plenty to do. I do apologize that the service seemed inconsistent when transitioning from week to weekend, but I can assure you that this is not a normal occurrence. I hope you will come see us again next time you're in the area, and thank you again for the kind words! Safe travels!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night before flying out for vacation. It is in a nice area. Make sure to pay attention when you are checking in. If you get on the wrong elevator it won't take you to your room. Overall it was a good room at a reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Bert0504
Thank you so much for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and yes - there are 3 structures total and each does have it's own elevator. However, all of the buildings do connect to one another on the first (main) floor and the second floor also. As you mentioned, it is important to pay attention at the time of check-in as our front desk staff will always be sure to tell you which elevators to use and how to get to your room. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

The attendant in the club lounge is more interested in watching TV by herself than in heaping guests. Housekeeping staff are noisy and not very thorough in their work. For the same price you should expect much better service some some of the staff.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank alanayu
I apologize for any service issues you experienced. Please be assured that your comments are taken very seriously and will be addressed with the appropriate departments. Our goal is to provide the highest level of service to our patrons. We do value you as a guest and hope that you will come back and see us again in the future. I thank you for your comments as this helps us to improve.
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

The best thing about the Crowne Plaza is it’s central location – it’s fairly close to University City, Forest Park and the Missouri Botanical Garden, and not too far from downtown either. We stayed in this hotel previously about two years ago and something that they’ve added is that guests now get a hot breakfast buffet in the hotel’s small restaurant on the main floor. They had bacon, sausage, two kinds of potatoes, biscuits and gravy, waffles, four kinds of juice, cold items like cereal and pastries, plus there was a chef who would make custom omelets (and there were probably other items I’ve forgotten). We were pleased with it and commented that it was one of the better “included” breakfasts we’ve had in a while, although on the weekends, the restaurant is very busy. Our room wasn’t large, but it was adequate. One strange thing about this hotel is that it consists of two different towers which seem cobbled together, so different elevators go to different sets of rooms on the same floor and they’re not necessarily connected. So (for example) you get on one elevator to get to rooms 300 through 320 and another for rooms 321-360 and it gets a little confusing. Parking is in a large parking garage behind the hotel and you access the Crowne Royal via a skywalk which comes out on the second floor. We were pleased that parking is free on weekends, or else it would have cost us another $6 per day. When we visited in early August, there was construction in the parking lot, which eliminated a number of parking spaces on the Orange level where you were supposed to park. Overall, I like his hotel, but I have to temper it against the idea that I can drive a little further west and stay at a La Quinta and be almost as happy for about half the price…

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dmarkwind
Thank you so much Dmarkwind for taking the time to share your experience with our community! We are glad you appreciated our central location, which most guests find to be quite valuable. I'm also glad that you took note of the free breakfast because that is something we decided to start including at the beginning of this year - thanks for noticing! I know the hotel layout is a bit confusing at times, but future travelers should know that all buildings connect on the main and second floors - the parking garage is on the second, and you can access each building from the floor you come in on. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

First, the good. The hotel lobby is gorgeous, and the people at the check-in counter are very nice. The room I was in was very cute. Hardwood floors, some country-style accents, a safe and refrigerator in the room. I really did like the room.

Now, the not so good. There was some construction going on, renovations I think, but it really wasn't much of a problem other than an eyesore in certain areas. The bellman helping me with my luggage on checkout was... not friendly. He really didn't seem like he wanted to be there, and made no effort to hide it. Room service was prompt, but the food was only fairly good.

The real deal-killer was housekeeping. They never did clean my room. Even on days when I left and removed the Do Not Disturb by 11am, the would leave a notice under my door saying that they stopped by at 2:04pm or similar and my Do Not Disturb was out so they did not enter. This was very frustrating. They also never came in to clean the air conditioning, as there was garbage and old food sitting in the vents of the unit and I had let the front desk know. It was pretty gross.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room away from where they are renovating. I had a corner room and it was fairl...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Katie B
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Katie, as the Front Office Manager here at the hotel, I am so glad that you found my front desk staff to be nice and friendly. They work very hard to please our guests, and I am so thankful to see compliments like this one. Yes, we have had a lot going on this summer. The city was having work done on the garage behind us (it's public - we don't own it) and unfortunately that was a little beyond our control. I also remember some work being done in the alley behind us by the city's public works, and again I apologize if this had a negative impact on your stay. We are constantly working to improve our hotel and the services we provide to our guests, so I do thank you for your patience if any work around the hotel was unappealing. Please be assured that the finished product is not far along, and we are looking very forward to welcoming you back to enjoy it! I am disappointed that you had issues with housekeeping, and please know that we will definitely be addressing your concerns. If there is anything I can do to help, please reach out to me at the hotel. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to share your experience!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
The Cheshire
#33 of 119 in Saint Louis
Forest Park
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Louis / Forest Park
Seven Gables Inn
#4 of 5 in Clayton

Been to Clayton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!