“Great customer service after some confusion”

Clayton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Dunedin, Florida
“Great customer service after some confusion”
Reviewed April 11, 2011

This hotel is a nice place to stay and very functional for those traveling on business. It is comfortable and the in house restaurant is decent.

There was some confusion regarding a package waiting for me and an error shipping it back, but the management took care of it. All in all I would stay at this facility again if I was back in the area.

When not working, it's ideally located to the baseball stadium, Arch and otehr tours (helicopter sightseeing).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We had our mid-sized conference here, and I was expecting that typical, middle of the road convention hotel. In several ways, this hotel excelled. It was the absolute best value I've experienced in a very long time attending a meeting. It is unheard of to have free parking for a rental car in a city the size of Clayton. The room rates were outstanding. The restaurant food was very good, and very inexpensive. Free wireless in the rooms and throughout the hotel made the meetings much easier. The most suprising of all, though, was the comfort of the bed. I'm not usually impressed, but I slept so well and the bed was wonderful. The other highlight was the very pleasant and helpful staff. They were personable, without being obnoxious. Location was nice - though we didn't get out much, there were convenient restaurants and pleasant window shopping walks in the neighborhood. Very convenient to get anywhere in St. Louis from this hotel. Look forward to our next meeting in 2013. So glad they secured this place for us again!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed March 15, 2011

I called the front desk to make a reservation and was greeted with, "ThankyouforcallingthheCrownePlazamayIputyouonholdplease?" She said the right words, but that was it. I tried to say, "Actually, I just need reservations, please." Hoping to be transferred. But, I didn't have the word, "Actually" out of my mouth before I heard a click and the hold music. Don't ASK me a question (Can I put you on hold?) if you aren't going to wait for an answer. What a terrible first impression. I'm sure she was busy but that is no excuse for this. I booked the reservation through their 800 number (wasn't blown away by hospitality there, either. But they weren't rude, at least). However, I am honestly not sure if I'm going to keep it. I was making a reservation for my boss and will recommend we book elsewhere instead.

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
cpclayton, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
I would like to apologize for the service you received during your phone call. She may have been busy but we still must at all times offer the service our guests deserve! We will review your comments with the team and use this as a tool to coach on best practices! I hope you do not reconsider your boss’s reservation. If would allow us a second chance I know that we will deliver the service and accommodations that you and your boss expect!
New York, NY
Reviewed March 14, 2011

I've been traveling with 5 colleagues for the past 5 weeks on a road show and we all agreed that this was by far the worst hotel we have stayed in, not only on this road trip, but ever including our personal travels. The hotel is old and not well maintained. The rooms were grimy, the furniture mismatched. All of the rooms have the fake wood laminate floors that were sticky. My headboard had a missing piece. Parts of my room look like they hadn't been cleaned in months maybe years. The elevator smelled. As part of our hotel stay, we received free breakfast vouchers. Food tasted like it came from a can. They have a shuttle service with multiple shuttle vans but 1 person to shuttle people around so if that one guy is out, you're SOL. Save yourself the trouble and stay at the Ritz down the street.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
We sincerely apologize for the issues mentioned above during your stay. We strive to ensure our guest’s satisfaction at all times, and we rely on their feedback. We always ask guests to address issues like these while they are physically here at the hotel so that we can make it right before they leave. Unfortunately since nothing was mentioned during your stay, we can only offer you our apology. However, we invite you to contact us directly and give us a chance to earn your satisfaction.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Kim Phillips
Assistant General Manager
Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton
Denver, CO
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Usually CP's are older hotels that the original franchise wasn't willing to spend the dough to update. Then CP comes in. This hotel fits that exactly. It's pretty dated, but we found it to be completely comfortable for a one-night stay. The location is nothing special for tourism, but they have a free shuttle driver that can take you to near by more interesting areas. Self park was very reasonable considering the area. Only six dollars.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 26, 2011

From the reviews I've read, this is a tale of two hotels. From what I can gather there are a couple towers--the good one and the one I was in.

Room one: cheap fake wood floor; wall paper pealing up from the trim; banged up furniture. Worst of all: the door was some sort of Formica-like material, had a very noticeable chip, and was literally coming off the door jam (would close unless forced). The place looked like something out of a Coen brothers movie.

Called down to ask for a better room, one with carpet at least.

Room two: pretty much like room one, but with the trim on the floor pulling away from the wall and a bunch of small paint chips (I hope) by one of the walls.

Went down and returned my keys. The front desk was good about me leaving.

Life goes on for me, but if I was the owner of the Houston Greenspoint Crowne Plaza (gorgeous hotel--highly recommend it), I would be furious. This one is ruining the brand.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed December 22, 2010

The moment I walked in the door I experienced top notch service. The doormen were well knowledged on the area and the "go to" spots for restaurants and liesure. Very friendly service and the courtesy call to make sure everything was to my likings, put the cherry on top! The room was spotless and the king size beds are plush. I haven't slept this well in a while. The hotel taxi service was great too! I had 2 business meetings and they were more than eager to make sure I get to them back and forth on time. The Plaza Grill & Restaurant was excellent. The food was reasonably priced and made to perfection. I ate there 3 times in my 2 day stay and every meal had its signature style which was satisfying to my taste buds! Overall a GREAT experience! I would definitely come back. Thanks Crowne Plaza!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
The Cheshire
The Chase Park Plaza
The Chase Park Plaza
#32 of 120 in Saint Louis
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,069 reviews

Been to Clayton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!