“Very Disappointing”
Review of Oceano Bistro

Oceano Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Oceano Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 69 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Maryland Ave.
Description: We are St. Louis' premiere fresh fish bistro. Our chefs, in partnership with fisherman, farmers and food artisans have searched the worlds' seas to bring to the St. Louis area what is enjoyed by those who live on the coasts.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This restaurant was highly recommended for lunch, so when in St. Louis, I made a point of stopping for lunch. My first warning should been the low proportion of seafood items on the lunch and dinner menus. I ordered the "Maryland crabcakes" for an appetizer. It was an insult to any Marylander. It didn't even resemble any kind of crabcake that I'd ever had. No strands of crabmeat, let alone lump or backfin crabmeat. Was entirely filler. As my mother, who was with me exclaimed "this is mush!" Would have not even qualified as poorly made deviled crab. Was shockingly bad!.

We politely returned it (our waitress was very accommodating) and ordered fritto misto. It was properly fried (not greasy), but the only pieces of seafood in it were obviously scraps from other dishes. Incredibly tiny morsels!

Then we had the lobster risotto--another disappointment. The flavor of the risotto was delicious, albeit slightly over salted (and I'm a person who usually loves salty dishes more than most). The shocker was the sparse amount of lobster. Only about 4 or small bites per full serving. Again, shocking! Used to upscale restaurants in the Washington, DC area, I'm used to small servings, but not with a such a stingy amount of the key ingredient. Also, the lobster had no flavor that I could discern. Maybe the problem was that we were ordering a dinner item at lunchtime. But even so...

Finally for dessert I had an apple cobbler. It was an interesting take on this standard dish, but not particularly delicious. Just interesting components that tasted merely okay. The only outstanding quality was the high price, which was high by standards in topnotch DC restaurants.

I must have it an off day, otherwise I don't understand the popularity of this place. St. Louisans must be desperate for upscale restaurants if they are flocking to this poor imitation of one--and an overpriced one at that. And as for good seafood, I certainly couldn't find it. Why not head a few miles west to Bristols?

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank MarylandMike_12

Omaha, Nebraska
“Good Fresh Seafood”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Good option for seafood in St. Louis. We had the sea scallops with white truffle butter and the Alaskan halibut and they were delicious. We really enjoyed the appetizers too. We had the lobster mac & cheese and the sliders were delicious. The only negative experience was that we made reservations and still had to wait 45 minutes for sitting. The staff seemed to be a bit disorganized. Our server was excellent though. The restaurant is in a beautiful building and it has a great outdoor sitting area for warmer evenings. The bar service was not great. A little on the pricy side but good choice for special occasions.

• Visited October 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Hit or miss”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The food here is good when it's good and not so great on other days. It's hit or miss unfortunately. Prices are reasonable though.

Visited December 2011
“I hope this one stays!”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This location has been changing hands frequently, but I think Oceano might be the one with staying power. The risotto and scallops were soooo good. My friend and I mentioned that we were going to share the dishes, and they arrived at the table already split on our own separate dishes. The bread with the chili oil was also a unique and tasty touch. Fabulous service, excellent food, it was a great choice for lunch,followed by shopping in Chesterfield Mall! Looking forward to going back with my husband.

• Visited September 2012
Upstate NY
“Nice!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

On a business trip a few of us decided to give this restaurant a try... based on reviews on Trip Advisor.

In all, it was a great experience. We were seated quickly, and our waiter took the time to explain the menu to us since we were all first-timers. However, throughout the evening he did disappear a few times and seem to forget about us.

Obviously, the focus is on seafood. Once we tasted everything, we were impressed at the quality of the seafood given we were in the middle of the country.

On the plus side - nice wine menu with very generous pours. They even bring the bottle to your table as a good faith gesture that you're getting what you ordered. In addition, the entrees and sides were delicious.

Just a few comments - the portions are fairly small given the prices, but again, the quality was very good. I ordered a salad with grilled salmon. The salmon was absolutely delicious with a nice smokey flavor from the grill. But there was a LOT of spinach with very little goat cheese, yellow beets, or nuts on the rest of the salad. Others at our table ordered sea bass, trout, and halibut, and everyone was pleased.

Nice restaurant, good food, inviting wine menu, but portions a little on the small side for the price. I'd go again.

• Visited September 2012