“A true jewel!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Napoli

Cafe Napoli
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Napoli is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 68 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bemiston
Description: When Tony Pietoso opened the original Cafe Napoli in the '80s, it quickly became a success. So Successful, in fact, that it moved to a bigger location at 7754 Forsyth Blvd. The restaurant continued to flourish with its generous portions of regional Italian specialties. Cafe Napoli has recently undergone a facelift and has added Bar Napoli next door. The swank cocktail lounge has soft lighting and a separate wine room that can accommodate 30 diners. The kitchen is headed by chef Jeff Davis, who has been with the restaurant for several years. Fortunato Pietoso, Tony's brother, has also returned to the kitchen. Tony makes rounds chatting with customers, many of whom appear to be on a first-name basis with him. The sons Ande and Kye split their time between the Bar and Cafe, as they are being groomed to take over the family business. Cafe Napoli is a must visit when in the St. Louis area. Some guests include Tony Bennett, Gloria Estefen, Joe Torre and Arnold Palmer to name a few.
Dallas,tx
“A true jewel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2010

Our hotel staff recommended Napoli and it delivered! Upon arrival the parking lot was filled with fabulous automobiles and almost every table was full on a Thursday night. Our server was a darling young man who was a pure professional at every turn. We live in Dallas and tend to be pretty picky about food and service, but nothing but praise here! We had the veal Milanese and we requested it be topped with arugula and diced tomatoes......perfect. We also had Shrimp Scampi with capers and it was melt-in-your- mouth delish!
Tony, the owner is ever-present quietly coming by each table briefly to speak with patrons. That alone should let you know this a a top-notch place and that they work hard to make certain your dining experience is pleasurable. Jessie was so kind and invited us back for a second night and the first drink would be on him! Are we going back tonight??
You bet! This time we'll eat on the patio! Don't miss this place!

Bonita Springs, Florida
“The best Italian restaurant in St. Louis...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2010

The best Italian restaurant in St. Louis. Period. Don't slepp to the Hill when Tony Pietoso has a better place right in Clayton

Madison, Wisconsin
“Great Italian in Clayton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

This is a great place for a business lunch or romantic dinner in Clayton.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
“May have been my best meal ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2009

I have had some memorable meals in my travels, and never thought I would surpass some in New Orleans, specifically Commander's Palace. But this past Friday night at Cafe' Napoli just went to the top of the list.
Four of us went, and all had different entree's altogether. I had rib eye of Veal, my wife had Veal Marsalla and the others had a shrimp entree and beef filet medallions. All I know is everyone raved about the dishes they chose. I can't comment further on theirs, as I was too engrossed in the best piece of Veal, prepared impecably, that I have ever encountered. What a marvelous dinner for all, especially me.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention the service. It was perfect--I don't think I could ask for anything better. Jerome, our waiter, was there with answers to any question, and it seemed that there must have been eyes watching from somewhere, as once our wine glasses got low, someone if not Jerome, was there to fill them immediately. I mean the service was 5 star and the meal was tremendous. I couldn't have asked for a more memorable and perfect meal anywhere, anytime.

Clearwater, FL
“It Use to be Great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

This perennial St. Louis favorite use to be our favorite Italian restaurant. Perhaps, it is because the sons are now running the restaurant and quality Italian food is not at the top of their list! Our dinner this evening was dreadful......the usual house wine chianti was very sour. The bartender said they change it every so many days. The Caprise salad which is now $6.95 vs the old "up charge" if you did not have a house salad, was served very, very cold and the tomatoes had no flavor. My chicken Napoli, done at my request without breading had no flavor and was very salty. We dine out several nights a week. Our dinner total cost with 3 glasses of wine was $75.00. If the food had been good, we would have been happy. Spending this amount of money for two people and mediocre food was a sad commentary on what use to be very good food!

• 3 of 5 bubbles