“Do all they can to only provide the bare minimum”

Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel for 4 weeks for business, and have had multiple rooms on multiple floors, and have tried every amenity from the gym to room service to the club lounge multiple times. So this is more than a single experience review. This hotel "checks all of the boxes" of what you would want in hotel and what you expect in a Sheraton; however the hotel does it as cheaply as possible. For example:

+ Does the hotel have free breakfast in the club lounge? Check. However, that breakfast usually is a tray of bread (not bagels and muffins, but literally just sliced bread) next to a toaster oven. Occasionally there are hot hot items (eggs, sometimes sausage) but those are not really edible.

+ Does the hotel have Wifi? Check. However the last few weeks the signal has been so poor that I've preferred to use my company's 3G card (which is much slower than Wifi) over the hotel's wifi.

+ Does the hotel have a gym? Check. However there is inadequate equipment for the size of the hotel (3 elliptical runners and 3 tread mills), and the equipment is frequently broken (for example, last week I did not find free equipment at 6am any day last week, except for a broken elliptical).

+ Does the hotel have rooms? Check. But they're really, really dirty: dirt stained furniture (see picture), water damaged ceilings (see picture), the floor turned the soles of my white socks black after a few hours.

+ Does the hotel have room service? Check. But it's not very good. The continental breakfast is small and appeared to be previously chilled (see picture). Other meals simply did not taste good. This is a problem in Clayton where other food options close before 6pm (primarily lunch places).

+ Does the hotel have beds? Check. But they keep trying to give me rooms with Queen Size beds (smaller rooms). I have to beg for a King Size (even if that's what I booked). And I have 2nd tier platinum status, which usually results in a suite at other SPG hotels - I feel back for those traveling on gold or even no status (what do you get - a broom closet?)

+ Does the hotel have a front desk? Check. However they are not very courteous, especially Susie (who has never even made eye contact with me in multiple check-ins). The one check in clerk (Rhonda) did say my name, she used the wrong name. Just to show how poor the hotel is on this regard, keep in mind that with my status I've been told that SPG sends them my picture and name so they can greet me on arrival. Again, not a big deal - but it shows this hotel's lack of caring / customer service when someone like that is even ignored.

+ Does the hotel have elevators? Check. However the elevators are exceptionally slow. I waited 10 minutes one morning for an elevator, eventually gave up and carried my luggage down 11 flights of stairs to avoid missing a meeting.

So after all of this, why do I stay at this hotel? It's near my client. Despite that, next week I'm staying in another SPG property.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank BooTheGroundhog
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for your TripAdvisor comments. I was quite disturbed to read about all of the problems associated with your recent visits to our hotel. There is simply no excuse for the many and varied failures on our part. It appears you did catch us at our worst, and for that I deeply apologize.

I have a sincere interest in addressing your concerns in person with you. The nature of TripAdvisor does not provide us your name and contact information so I respectfully request you reach out to me at your convenience so that I may have the opportunity to personally apologize to you and address your concerns. My email address is rjuneman@sheratonclayton.com and my direct office phone number is 314.678.2320.

I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you, address your concerns and provide you a much better experience on your next visit to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.

Ron Juneman

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had our reservation for a month. We were 15 minutes away and got a call from Hotwire that they overbooked and sold our room. Hotwire said usually they try to put you in another property but they didn't. Thanks For nothing Sheraton!

• Stayed: October 2013
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for your posting. You do us a great service by taking the time out of your busy schedule to write. It is through concerned guests, such as yourself, that we gain insight into areas of our business that require attention or areas that may have otherwise gone unnoticed.

We take great care in the handling of reservations. I can only deduce that once in a great while, the factor of "human error" leaves some margin for this type of unfortunate situation to occur. I have spoken with our Reservations Manager about this matter and have instructed him to reinforce the importance of proper reservation handling with all our special guests. I hope you will look at this as a rare exception and not as a reflection of any lack of high concern for your patronage.

I invite you to reach out to me directly at rjuneman@sheratonclayton.com so that I may have the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your experience.

We look forward to hearing from you so that we may have the opportunity to see you return to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We got a great deal on Priceline & I called to make sure we would have the right amount of beds. We needed two beds and a baby bed & we were upgraded to that from a single bed with no problem. When we arrived we were on the 15th floor and everything was ready. Parking was fine (extra $15 to park) but internet was free. The hotel was centrally located to everything we wanted to do (City Museum, Grant's Farm, Magic House, Zoo, and Science Center) and everyone was very nice. We never had to wait for extra towels when they were requested. Furniture looked brand new, beds were comfy, bathroom was super nice, and we had a good view of downtown & a train that my son LOVED. No complaints here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the perfect score you gave your experience with us. Your feedback will inspire the team to continue their pursuit of service excellence.

We appreciate you mentioning our great location. With the Holidays just around the corner, people will begin to enjoy staying with us while they shop at the Galleria Mall. Our free local shuttle service will get you to and from your favorite store in the area.

We truly look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here for business and like the overall location and proximity to the Metro. Hotel is small and a bit dated but for conference activities, it was fine.

Rooms were surpisingly not as clean as I am used to. Since I was staying for only 1 night, I decided to just grin and bear it ;-) In particular the dust ruffles were streaked with dirt and the duvet on the other queen bed had all sorts of spots on it. Bathroom definitely was not as clean as it should be but not a dive either.

Did not try internet so can't comment on it. I had the a la carte breakfast menu and it came out prompt and tasty so no complaints there.

I would say if you are very particular about cleanliness and amenities you may not find this hotel up to your standard. If you are there and just need a place to crash for a night, then this hotel is for you.

Room Tip: From room 1617 you can see the St Louis Arch.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed here two nights in July of 2013. The room was on the small side and on the expensive side for the area and the hotel charges for both parking ($14 per night) and Internet. The Internet charge was $10 per night per device, really? I ended up setting up my cell phone as a wifi hot spot for our iPads but really in this day and age charging for Internet access is simply not good business.

Having said this, the staff was outstanding. Helpfull with restaurant suggestions, we needed more coffee, they brought up enough for a week, just really great service.

The Sheraton sent me a survey upon our return home. I filled it out honestly. The manager emailed me with an apology and sent a coupon for a free nights stay. No apology necessary. What can the manager do about room size, pricing and parking/Internet policy. The manager should be very proud of the outstanding staff.
If we were to stay in the St. Louis area again we would stay at a Drury Inn. They have several hotels in the Midwest and South. We spent our last night in St. Louis in the one near the airport and were blown away. I am ging to write a separate review for them.

Room Tip: Our room was tiny and the window was rather dirty on the outside, BUT we could see the Gateway Arch...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write us concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I was sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations in several areas.

I was delighted to hear you found the staff to be awesome. Our team of hospitality professionals is what differentiates us from the competition in St. Louis.

We do have larger rooms available for a small additional fee. We look forward to offering one of our larger rooms to you when you visit us again.

Ron Juneman

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I received the most excellent service from the staff at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza. From the shuttle drivers to the bellman to the front desk to the restaurant and bar servers, the team was friendly and they genuinely engaged with me and other guests. My business partner and I had a most enjoyable time with with the bartenders and servers. They were three women with personality plus! After grueling days with long hours of coordinating publicity on the streets of Clayton for the Saint Louis Art Fair, we were greeted as old friends and given top notch service. And, we loved their sense of humor.

This was our 5th annual stay at this hotel. We've had very good service in the past, but this year was tremendous. I applaud The Sheraton Clayton Plaza for creating a welcoming, supportive and uplifting environment!
Kari, Plymouth, MN

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the perfect score you gave your experience with us. We take great pride in our Associates who look forward to welcoming and serving each of our guests. I can clearly say, the friendliness of our Associates is what separates us from the competition in the area.

We truly look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed here for several nights on business. Such a hit and miss...broken window in the front that according to many has been broken for a long time. This says to me management doesn't see this as a priority. I was NEVER greeted by an employee of the hotel. It was I that had to engage them. (At check in i had the privledge of talking to the top of the womans head) There was a waitress in the bar who was perhaps one of the rudest waitresses on the planet. She barked at me and once served a drink NEVER checked on me. When I needed to leave she was nowhere to be found. The next night when i was with friends, she did it again...barking at them and then NEVER checking on us. I was given some coupons in a trade for not having maid service and when I asked if I could use them for breakfast was told "I think so, you could try that." You would think folks would know. The meeting room floors smelled of sewage.

Rooms were nice enough. Mine was small, but had a nice comfortable bed and wing back chair. Bathrooms are small, very small with no tub. AC is cold, but the trade off its loud.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Traditionally our Associates provide exceptional service and it was disappointing to learn they did not reach out to you during your visit.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments with us. We look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Clayton Plaza Hotel
#3 of 5 in Clayton
The Cheshire
#44 of 121 in Saint Louis
Downtown
Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark
Downtown
Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch

Been to Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!