“The staff was awesome!”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Key Largo, Florida
“The staff was awesome!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed here two nights in July of 2013. The room was on the small side and on the expensive side for the area and the hotel charges for both parking ($14 per night) and Internet. The Internet charge was $10 per night per device, really? I ended up setting up my cell phone as a wifi hot spot for our iPads but really in this day and age charging for Internet access is simply not good business.

Having said this, the staff was outstanding. Helpfull with restaurant suggestions, we needed more coffee, they brought up enough for a week, just really great service.

The Sheraton sent me a survey upon our return home. I filled it out honestly. The manager emailed me with an apology and sent a coupon for a free nights stay. No apology necessary. What can the manager do about room size, pricing and parking/Internet policy. The manager should be very proud of the outstanding staff.
If we were to stay in the St. Louis area again we would stay at a Drury Inn. They have several hotels in the Midwest and South. We spent our last night in St. Louis in the one near the airport and were blown away. I am ging to write a separate review for them.

Room Tip: Our room was tiny and the window was rather dirty on the outside, BUT we could see the Gateway Arch...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write us concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I was sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations in several areas.

I was delighted to hear you found the staff to be awesome. Our team of hospitality professionals is what differentiates us from the competition in St. Louis.

We do have larger rooms available for a small additional fee. We look forward to offering one of our larger rooms to you when you visit us again.

Ron Juneman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I received the most excellent service from the staff at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza. From the shuttle drivers to the bellman to the front desk to the restaurant and bar servers, the team was friendly and they genuinely engaged with me and other guests. My business partner and I had a most enjoyable time with with the bartenders and servers. They were three women with personality plus! After grueling days with long hours of coordinating publicity on the streets of Clayton for the Saint Louis Art Fair, we were greeted as old friends and given top notch service. And, we loved their sense of humor.

This was our 5th annual stay at this hotel. We've had very good service in the past, but this year was tremendous. I applaud The Sheraton Clayton Plaza for creating a welcoming, supportive and uplifting environment!
Kari, Plymouth, MN

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for the perfect score you gave your experience with us. We take great pride in our Associates who look forward to welcoming and serving each of our guests. I can clearly say, the friendliness of our Associates is what separates us from the competition in the area.

We truly look forward to your next visit.
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for several nights on business. Such a hit and miss...broken window in the front that according to many has been broken for a long time. This says to me management doesn't see this as a priority. I was NEVER greeted by an employee of the hotel. It was I that had to engage them. (At check in i had the privledge of talking to the top of the womans head) There was a waitress in the bar who was perhaps one of the rudest waitresses on the planet. She barked at me and once served a drink NEVER checked on me. When I needed to leave she was nowhere to be found. The next night when i was with friends, she did it again...barking at them and then NEVER checking on us. I was given some coupons in a trade for not having maid service and when I asked if I could use them for breakfast was told "I think so, you could try that." You would think folks would know. The meeting room floors smelled of sewage.

Rooms were nice enough. Mine was small, but had a nice comfortable bed and wing back chair. Bathrooms are small, very small with no tub. AC is cold, but the trade off its loud.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your posting. You do us a great service by taking the time out of your busy schedule to write. It is through concerned guests, such as yourself, that we gain insight into areas of our business that require attention or areas that may have otherwise gone unnoticed.

Traditionally our Associates provide exceptional service and it was disappointing to learn they did not reach out to you during your visit.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments with us. We look forward to your next visit.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in August and I highly disappointed with the location. Rooms were very clean, spacious, and comfortable. Bathroom and shower were good. My only complaint about this hotel is that there are very few things walking distance from the hotel. I would stay closer to downtown if I was to visit again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Daniel D
Annandale, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2013

As with all Sheraton locations, the bedding was so clean and comfortable. The rooms were very spacious. Free shuttle to and from airport AND free shuttle drove me around to some business meetings in St. Louis. The room service was delivered speedy and they got my special order perfect. Club room food was great. Can't really think of any negatives - gave it four stars because it was not quite a five star hotel, but close.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel offers a "green choice" in which you can choose not to have your room cleaned in return for SPG award points. Our room looks decidedly tired, and the corridor was frightfully dark. So much for conservation.

• Stayed August 2013
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
I certainly appreciate you taking the time to write us concerning your recent stay at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel. I apologize for your perception your room was tired and the corridor was not lighted properly.

It is our goal to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service, and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own high standards. Let me simply say that all of us here at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel are committed to providing a much better and more pleasant experience for our guests than what you had the misfortune of experiencing.

I sincerely hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our true level of hospitality and interest in serving you properly.

Ron Juneman
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. The entrance is easy for valet parking, but a little bit confusing for self parking. Self parking is a little bit past the entrance,take a ticket and then find your way to the elevators, a few more directional sign would be helpful. Check in was smooth with no waiting-desk folks seemed a little stuffy, not especially welcoming, but they were very efficient. We stayed in a handicap accessible room-1 king size bed, and we also booked a room for other family members. Our HA room was small but perfectly functional. A huge disappointment that there is no refrigerator in the rooms. The room was clean enough, but could have used a little attention to details, such as the desktop and tv screen had smear marks on them from cleaning, and the fold down seat in the shower had mold-like ick along the seat brackets and the edges and the bedspread had dirty marks on it. The room our family members had also was adequate, however the sheets on their 1 queen size bed were stained/dirty and they asked housekeeping to come and change them. While we were out sightseeing this was done. We're pretty sure the sheets were clean, just stained, but still very unattractive and off-putting. The hallway to our 4th floor room was dark-almost creepy, maybe some kind of energy savings plan in effect.
The beds were comfortable, the pillows were fluffy, the room had enough towels and we were comfortable for the one night we stayed. The high point though was the wonderful bartender in the lounge located just off the lobby. Rita was just a joy to meet. She helped us move our wheelchair into and out of the lift to access the lounge and she provided excellent service.
Overall I would stay again, but I think this Sheraton property could work at being a little bit more welcoming by using better directional signs in the parking areas, encourage housekeeping to use a little more attention to detail and by being a little bit more cheerful at the front desk when greeting guests.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Clayton Plaza Hotel
Clayton Plaza Hotel
#3 of 5 in Clayton
Hampton Inn and Suites Clayton / St Louis - Galleria Area
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Brentwood
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Galleria
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Gall...
#1 of 2 in Richmond Heights
The Cheshire
The Cheshire
#43 of 120 in Saint Louis

Been to Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!