“Great people”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Tuscola, IL
“Great people”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

OK The staff was very friendly and accommodating, but the hotel charges for every little thing. We purposely chose a hotel outside the downtown area to avoid paying parking charges only to find out-$14 to park. We didn't need internet access but it was $9.95 a day. Showers very small. Hotel was clean and our room was fully stocked and smelled fine. However, the lobby smelled like sulfur or wet dog. I would probably not stay here again and with all the hotels in STL area I would say pick another.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
I certainly appreciate you taking the time to write me concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I was sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations in several areas.

Your comments regarding the odor in the lobby are very disturbing to me as they certainly do not represent the quality of service we have proudly built our reputation. I can assure you that we have taken immediate steps to ensure that other guests do not suffer the inconveniences you experienced.

In an attempt to maintain competitive rates, we do not automatically charge everyone for parking or Wi-Fi services. Many guests take advantage of our complimentary airport shuttle services or they take advantage of the complimentary shuttle services we offer to attractions, places of business or other places of interest within a 5 mile radius of the hotel. We also offer complimentary Wi-Fi services in The Link@Sheraton located in the lobby adjacent to the Lobby Lounge.

Again, I certainly appreciate your taking the time to inform me of the inadequacies you experienced during your stay. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our true level of hospitality and interest in serving you properly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Indianapolis
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here for NYE 2012 and had a great experience.

Front desk staff was friendly upon check-in and check-out.

The shuttle was running late for NYE and instead of just servicing the airport was taking guests anywhere they needed to go. Being able to save on cab fair to our destination was very much appreciated.

Our room was very nice. Clean and no issues. We had booked on hotwire and as they had oversold queen rooms we were upgraded to a king room which is our preference anyway.

No complaints. No issues.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I had just celebrated our marriage with friends and family near our home in the Ozarks. We both planned on our mini moon at the hotel to sort of get away from the hustle and bustle that was planning our wedding.
We were greeted by a lady at the front desk who was prompt, understanding and gave a very warm welcome. She took care of our parking and gave us something a little more comfortable for our stay.
The breakfast and snacks in the private lounge were very filling, accomodating and abundant. This was a great place to stay to start a marriage. My wife and I have discussed this hotel for our future travel plans. Hats off to a great service staff and clean and uncomparable accomodations. We will definitely be back very soon for our next trip to St Louis.

Room Tip: I would book lower floors on the weekends, the elevators do not respond well to high traffic. Stayin...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Edward S
Skillman, NJ
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I was in St. Louis recently for a family event and spent one night (12/28/2012) at this hotel. My room was paid for with SPG points, including an extra 1,000 points to guarantee access to the Club Floor.

A few comments:

Service experience was mostly very good. No one was present at the SPG Gold counter when I arrived early Friday afternoon but I did get help shortly after another employee walked by and noticed that I had not yet been helped.

Accomodations were also mostly very good. I was upgraded to an executive suite on the 10th floor (not a SPG or Club floor though) which included a very comfortable king bed, a sitting area with coffee table, a desk, and a bar area with a good-sized refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom was decently appointed with a glass enclosed shower, pedestal sink, etc. and an adjacent dressing area with a large mirror. The bathroom was a little small, and not what I would call luxurious, but it was certainly more than adequate for my needs. In general, the furnishings were OK but I did notice some large seams and patchwork in the popcorn ceiling and some not so great wallpaper efforts in the bathroom. It looked like they might have reconfigured two rooms to make one suite (or 3 rooms to make 2 suites).

The Club Floor lounge was really good. There were several televisions, newspapers, etc. but it was the food offerings that really stood out. The Friday evening service included beer/wine (I did not have any), toasted ravioli with marinara sauce, a very "un-Italian" antipasto tray (which could have used a greater variety of marinated vegetables), and a very good and hearty penne pasta dish with alfredo sauce and chicken. The Saturday morning breakfast was excellent. It included breads, muffins, yogurt, cereals, fruit, as well as scrambled eggs (with ham, cheese and spinach) and potatoes. The eggs were really, really good (nothing artificial and served piping hot). For guests not paying with SPG points, access to the Club Floor was an extra $30 per night. For me traveling alone, it was a good use of points and very convenient. I may or may not have been willing to pay $30 in cash for it though, unless it included other family members staying the room.

I did not have time to try any of the other facilities at the hotel such as the gym or other restaurants/bars. The bar/lounge did look pretty good though. I did not like the $14 charge for parking but I guess an extra fee is to be expected, especially when a hotel is in a urban setting. As another reviewer commented, there is a rather long and circuituous path that you have to take when exiting the lot...but it wasn't that big of a deal.

One final note. After I checked out of the hotel on Saturday morning, I left for a family event. On the way back to the airport, I stopped back at the hotel to get some directions (and some help with locating the gas cap release on my rental car). I was running a tight schedule and the concierge (older gentleman) could not have been more helpful. I got gas, made my flight, etc.. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My room was very small and the bathroom was the size of a closet. The room was clean and the bed was fine but nothing great. I had a tough time keeping it cool; although it was November I still did not want to be roasting in my sleep which I was.
However, each employee of the hotel was delightful, which really makes a positive difference in a travel experience. They have a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport which is a nice perk. I would recommend the "club floor" which might have nicer rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TinySeasideDancer
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for sharing how each employee of the hotel was delightful. It was also great to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary shuttle to and from the airport. Many guests also take advantage of our complimentary shuttle services to places of interest within a 5 mile radius of the hotel. As an example, many individuals stay with us and take the shuttle to the famous Galleria Shopping Mall for their holiday shopping needs. Lastly, we appreciate your recommendation of the Sheraton Club facilities.

The description of your room would indicate you may have reserved one of our Queen "cozy" rooms. We also have very spacious King and Double Queen rooms available for a small additional cost. All of our rooms all have a ventilation system that provides on demand heating or cooling. I have asked the team to focus on the thermostats in each room to make sure they are all functioning properly.

We look forward to your next visit to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Friday and Saturday night stay -- $139 for room and good full breakfast was decent value, room was comfortable and clean; ventilation was noisy -- only drawback to room. Location excellent for our purposes. $14 charge for parking seemed excessive, and parking garage exit required LONG trip down and back up in tight quarters for our Lincoln Navigator. Didn't pay $10 per day Wi-fi charge; should be free in 21st century!

WARNING: Fire exits are in center and one end. We had fire alarm on our floor -- firemen and everything -- and we were at end without staircase! Got our attention! Will never not check again!

Room Tip: See review -- get room with fire exit nearby!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
We offer all our guests complimentary airport shuttle and complimentary shuttle services to other facilities and services within a 5 mile radius of the hotel. In addition, the Link @ Sheraton experienced with Microsoft facility in our lobby area provides all our customers with complimentary Wi-Fi, computer, and printing services. Many of our guests take advantage of these complimentary services. For others who require parking and other Wi-Fi services, we focus on keeping our fees reasonable and customary for our market. We look forward to your next visit to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My experience was absolutely horrible at this hotel. I was coming to St. Louis for a wedding. The night before my arrival the bride informed me that my reservation had been cancelled. She only knew this because she went to drop off something for me at the front desk. I WAS NEVER NOTIFIED! The hotel lied to my friend and told her they contacted me and I was okay being transferred to hotel by the airport. This couldn't have been farther from the truth as I was never contacted. I demanded a room, which was eventually provided to me. However, the hotel complimentary transportation services did not pick me up after I had called them once I landed. 45 minutes later someone came to pick me up. The actual stay at the hotel was fine but then once I got home I realized the hotel had double charged me. What a hassle. I will never ever again stay at this hotel or any Sheraton for that matter. This hotel and its service ruined what was supposed to be a relaxing weekend. Instead it was very stressful and a huge hassle. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to speak to me about your recent experience at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel. We always prefer to speak witih our guests directly as we address concerns. I apologize for someone not contacting you earlier in the process. We were delighted to learn that you will now be registering to become one of our newest members of the Starwood Preferred Guest program. Thank you for our continued interest in Starwood Hotels and Resorts.

Travelers are raving about these Clayton hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Clayton Plaza Hotel
Clayton Plaza Hotel
#3 of 5 in Clayton
Hampton Inn and Suites Clayton / St Louis - Galleria Area
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Galleria
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Gall...
#1 of 2 in Richmond Heights
Seven Gables Inn
Seven Gables Inn
#4 of 5 in Clayton
The Cheshire
The Cheshire
#39 of 120 in Saint Louis

Been to Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!