“What a great Beginning!”

Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I had just celebrated our marriage with friends and family near our home in the Ozarks. We both planned on our mini moon at the hotel to sort of get away from the hustle and bustle that was planning our wedding.
We were greeted by a lady at the front desk who was prompt, understanding and gave a very warm welcome. She took care of our parking and gave us something a little more comfortable for our stay.
The breakfast and snacks in the private lounge were very filling, accomodating and abundant. This was a great place to stay to start a marriage. My wife and I have discussed this hotel for our future travel plans. Hats off to a great service staff and clean and uncomparable accomodations. We will definitely be back very soon for our next trip to St Louis.

Room Tip: I would book lower floors on the weekends, the elevators do not respond well to high traffic. Stayin...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Edward S

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I was in St. Louis recently for a family event and spent one night (12/28/2012) at this hotel. My room was paid for with SPG points, including an extra 1,000 points to guarantee access to the Club Floor.

A few comments:

Service experience was mostly very good. No one was present at the SPG Gold counter when I arrived early Friday afternoon but I did get help shortly after another employee walked by and noticed that I had not yet been helped.

Accomodations were also mostly very good. I was upgraded to an executive suite on the 10th floor (not a SPG or Club floor though) which included a very comfortable king bed, a sitting area with coffee table, a desk, and a bar area with a good-sized refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom was decently appointed with a glass enclosed shower, pedestal sink, etc. and an adjacent dressing area with a large mirror. The bathroom was a little small, and not what I would call luxurious, but it was certainly more than adequate for my needs. In general, the furnishings were OK but I did notice some large seams and patchwork in the popcorn ceiling and some not so great wallpaper efforts in the bathroom. It looked like they might have reconfigured two rooms to make one suite (or 3 rooms to make 2 suites).

The Club Floor lounge was really good. There were several televisions, newspapers, etc. but it was the food offerings that really stood out. The Friday evening service included beer/wine (I did not have any), toasted ravioli with marinara sauce, a very "un-Italian" antipasto tray (which could have used a greater variety of marinated vegetables), and a very good and hearty penne pasta dish with alfredo sauce and chicken. The Saturday morning breakfast was excellent. It included breads, muffins, yogurt, cereals, fruit, as well as scrambled eggs (with ham, cheese and spinach) and potatoes. The eggs were really, really good (nothing artificial and served piping hot). For guests not paying with SPG points, access to the Club Floor was an extra $30 per night. For me traveling alone, it was a good use of points and very convenient. I may or may not have been willing to pay $30 in cash for it though, unless it included other family members staying the room.

I did not have time to try any of the other facilities at the hotel such as the gym or other restaurants/bars. The bar/lounge did look pretty good though. I did not like the $14 charge for parking but I guess an extra fee is to be expected, especially when a hotel is in a urban setting. As another reviewer commented, there is a rather long and circuituous path that you have to take when exiting the lot...but it wasn't that big of a deal.

One final note. After I checked out of the hotel on Saturday morning, I left for a family event. On the way back to the airport, I stopped back at the hotel to get some directions (and some help with locating the gas cap release on my rental car). I was running a tight schedule and the concierge (older gentleman) could not have been more helpful. I got gas, made my flight, etc.. Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My room was very small and the bathroom was the size of a closet. The room was clean and the bed was fine but nothing great. I had a tough time keeping it cool; although it was November I still did not want to be roasting in my sleep which I was.
However, each employee of the hotel was delightful, which really makes a positive difference in a travel experience. They have a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport which is a nice perk. I would recommend the "club floor" which might have nicer rooms.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TinySeasideDancer
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for sharing how each employee of the hotel was delightful. It was also great to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary shuttle to and from the airport. Many guests also take advantage of our complimentary shuttle services to places of interest within a 5 mile radius of the hotel. As an example, many individuals stay with us and take the shuttle to the famous Galleria Shopping Mall for their holiday shopping needs. Lastly, we appreciate your recommendation of the Sheraton Club facilities.

The description of your room would indicate you may have reserved one of our Queen "cozy" rooms. We also have very spacious King and Double Queen rooms available for a small additional cost. All of our rooms all have a ventilation system that provides on demand heating or cooling. I have asked the team to focus on the thermostats in each room to make sure they are all functioning properly.

We look forward to your next visit to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Friday and Saturday night stay -- $139 for room and good full breakfast was decent value, room was comfortable and clean; ventilation was noisy -- only drawback to room. Location excellent for our purposes. $14 charge for parking seemed excessive, and parking garage exit required LONG trip down and back up in tight quarters for our Lincoln Navigator. Didn't pay $10 per day Wi-fi charge; should be free in 21st century!

WARNING: Fire exits are in center and one end. We had fire alarm on our floor -- firemen and everything -- and we were at end without staircase! Got our attention! Will never not check again!

Room Tip: See review -- get room with fire exit nearby!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

We offer all our guests complimentary airport shuttle and complimentary shuttle services to other facilities and services within a 5 mile radius of the hotel. In addition, the Link @ Sheraton experienced with Microsoft facility in our lobby area provides all our customers with complimentary Wi-Fi, computer, and printing services. Many of our guests take advantage of these complimentary services. For others who require parking and other Wi-Fi services, we focus on keeping our fees reasonable and customary for our market. We look forward to your next visit to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

My experience was absolutely horrible at this hotel. I was coming to St. Louis for a wedding. The night before my arrival the bride informed me that my reservation had been cancelled. She only knew this because she went to drop off something for me at the front desk. I WAS NEVER NOTIFIED! The hotel lied to my friend and told her they contacted me and I was okay being transferred to hotel by the airport. This couldn't have been farther from the truth as I was never contacted. I demanded a room, which was eventually provided to me. However, the hotel complimentary transportation services did not pick me up after I had called them once I landed. 45 minutes later someone came to pick me up. The actual stay at the hotel was fine but then once I got home I realized the hotel had double charged me. What a hassle. I will never ever again stay at this hotel or any Sheraton for that matter. This hotel and its service ruined what was supposed to be a relaxing weekend. Instead it was very stressful and a huge hassle. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me about your recent experience at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel. We always prefer to speak witih our guests directly as we address concerns. I apologize for someone not contacting you earlier in the process. We were delighted to learn that you will now be registering to become one of our newest members of the Starwood Preferred Guest program. Thank you for our continued interest in Starwood Hotels and Resorts.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I rated the hotel poor because of the value received for the money spent. Most hotels now do not charge for wi-fi. Having installed it in commercial locations, it is not that expensive to install and maintain. It's an antiquated charge because it doesn't cost $9.95/day/room to run it. The "free" area deemed my e-mail address from comcast.net as a "Adult" site so I was not able to get any of my e-mails. I finally went to a free wi-fi coffee shop and got them and only paid $3.95 for the coffee(better bargain than the $9.95) The room was comfortable, but small. It was quiet and the bed and shower were great. We "heard" the food was good, but were unable to have a meal there because we were invited out elsewhere. The parking garage was dark and dingy and it was dangerous to walk up/down to the entrances on the 1st and 2nd level and for that they charge an additional $14/day.

Room Tip: Antiquated charges for wi-fi and poor lit parking areas which invites crime.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. It sounds like you enjoyed the value of one of our queen “cozy” rooms. We were delighted to hear your room was comfortable and quiet. We do get many compliments regarding our Sheraton Sweep Sleeper beds as well as compliments about bath areas of the room as you also mentioned. I am sorry you feel we are “antiquated” for charging Wi-Fi fees. We offer complimentary Wi-Fi services at our Link@Sheraton experienced with Microsoft facility that is in the lobby, adjacent to our restaurant and connected to our lobby lounge. We will inspect the garage to make sure no lights are burnt out. We normally have good lighting in the garage. It is a very safe facility. We hope you do provide us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Could easily be a solid 4 star hotel (certainly no 5* here).
Pros:
- Very convenient location. One of the closest hotels to Washington Univ, the Zoo, and many shopping areas.
- Very well maintained. Clean.
- Friendly staff.
- Restaurant on premises, not too expensive and decent food.
- Nice bar and sitting area outside the restaurant

Cons:
- The typical Sheraton problem: charges $10/day for wireless per room PER DEVICE, and does not have wired, so now way around it. You either do all your work and play in the lobby area, pay the extra for the concierge level (free there), or absorb the crazy costs, We have a family of four, each with a laptop and tablet. That comes to $80/day for internet, absolutely ridiculous. This also is not told to you on the online page when you pay. When it went to charge me again for my 2nd of 8 devices, asked the front desk and was told it was "clearly spelled out" in the middle of page 2 of two sheets they have taped on the ledge of the check in desk. Bad enough to charge you more than $10 per room per day, but at least warn about this online when you sign up. Terrible policy, and frankly, will keep me away from ANY Sheraton until they change this.

- Showers! Oh boy. Water pressure is good, which is surprising that there are so many issues. It takes about 90 seconds for any adjustment you make in the water temp to "register", so always chasing changing it. But the big problem is if anyone near you is showering at the same time, water temp constantly changes from ice to scalding. Add to that the delay in what comes out when you change the handle, it makes for a frustrating and dangerous experience. We learned to shower at weird times, like 8:30pm. Worked fine at that time.

- Parking lot ($14/day) is a bit strange, the 2 underground floors dimly lit (which you have to drive through completely to get out - huh?), and to then get into the hotel, force you to walk up/down the up/down ramps. Almost got run over several times.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your complete review of your experience at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel. Your “Pro” comments are a very nice description of our property. With respect to your “Cons”, it sounds like we did not do a sufficient job explaining the cost effective alternatives available to those with multiple internet service requirements. The Sheraton Club is available as an upgrade for only $30 per room, per night. Included with this would be a complimentary internet connection for each of your family members…as you described. In addition, however, you and your family would have also enjoyed complimentary breakfast, afternoon refreshments and snacks and evening offerings…a value much greater than the $30 upgrade fee. I apologize for the Front Desk Associates not doing a better job explaining the Sheraton Club benefits. In addition, they know better than to handle your comments about the fees in the manner you described. As we do not know your room number from your message, we have instructed the engineering team to spot check every room in the building to assure we do not have the scalding water conditions you described. Such conditions are not the norm.

Thank you again for your in-depth comments. We hope the information provided in this response will encourage you and others to return to our hotel or another Sheraton Hotel world-wide and take advantage of the Sheraton Club benefits.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Clayton Plaza Hotel
#3 of 5 in Clayton
The Cheshire
#46 of 121 in Saint Louis
Downtown
Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark
Downtown
Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch

Been to Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!