“Do Not Stay Here!”

Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My experience was absolutely horrible at this hotel. I was coming to St. Louis for a wedding. The night before my arrival the bride informed me that my reservation had been cancelled. She only knew this because she went to drop off something for me at the front desk. I WAS NEVER NOTIFIED! The hotel lied to my friend and told her they contacted me and I was okay being transferred to hotel by the airport. This couldn't have been farther from the truth as I was never contacted. I demanded a room, which was eventually provided to me. However, the hotel complimentary transportation services did not pick me up after I had called them once I landed. 45 minutes later someone came to pick me up. The actual stay at the hotel was fine but then once I got home I realized the hotel had double charged me. What a hassle. I will never ever again stay at this hotel or any Sheraton for that matter. This hotel and its service ruined what was supposed to be a relaxing weekend. Instead it was very stressful and a huge hassle. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me about your recent experience at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel. We always prefer to speak witih our guests directly as we address concerns. I apologize for someone not contacting you earlier in the process. We were delighted to learn that you will now be registering to become one of our newest members of the Starwood Preferred Guest program. Thank you for our continued interest in Starwood Hotels and Resorts.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I rated the hotel poor because of the value received for the money spent. Most hotels now do not charge for wi-fi. Having installed it in commercial locations, it is not that expensive to install and maintain. It's an antiquated charge because it doesn't cost $9.95/day/room to run it. The "free" area deemed my e-mail address from comcast.net as a "Adult" site so I was not able to get any of my e-mails. I finally went to a free wi-fi coffee shop and got them and only paid $3.95 for the coffee(better bargain than the $9.95) The room was comfortable, but small. It was quiet and the bed and shower were great. We "heard" the food was good, but were unable to have a meal there because we were invited out elsewhere. The parking garage was dark and dingy and it was dangerous to walk up/down to the entrances on the 1st and 2nd level and for that they charge an additional $14/day.

Room Tip: Antiquated charges for wi-fi and poor lit parking areas which invites crime.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. It sounds like you enjoyed the value of one of our queen “cozy” rooms. We were delighted to hear your room was comfortable and quiet. We do get many compliments regarding our Sheraton Sweep Sleeper beds as well as compliments about bath areas of the room as you also mentioned. I am sorry you feel we are “antiquated” for charging Wi-Fi fees. We offer complimentary Wi-Fi services at our Link@Sheraton experienced with Microsoft facility that is in the lobby, adjacent to our restaurant and connected to our lobby lounge. We will inspect the garage to make sure no lights are burnt out. We normally have good lighting in the garage. It is a very safe facility. We hope you do provide us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Could easily be a solid 4 star hotel (certainly no 5* here).
Pros:
- Very convenient location. One of the closest hotels to Washington Univ, the Zoo, and many shopping areas.
- Very well maintained. Clean.
- Friendly staff.
- Restaurant on premises, not too expensive and decent food.
- Nice bar and sitting area outside the restaurant

Cons:
- The typical Sheraton problem: charges $10/day for wireless per room PER DEVICE, and does not have wired, so now way around it. You either do all your work and play in the lobby area, pay the extra for the concierge level (free there), or absorb the crazy costs, We have a family of four, each with a laptop and tablet. That comes to $80/day for internet, absolutely ridiculous. This also is not told to you on the online page when you pay. When it went to charge me again for my 2nd of 8 devices, asked the front desk and was told it was "clearly spelled out" in the middle of page 2 of two sheets they have taped on the ledge of the check in desk. Bad enough to charge you more than $10 per room per day, but at least warn about this online when you sign up. Terrible policy, and frankly, will keep me away from ANY Sheraton until they change this.

- Showers! Oh boy. Water pressure is good, which is surprising that there are so many issues. It takes about 90 seconds for any adjustment you make in the water temp to "register", so always chasing changing it. But the big problem is if anyone near you is showering at the same time, water temp constantly changes from ice to scalding. Add to that the delay in what comes out when you change the handle, it makes for a frustrating and dangerous experience. We learned to shower at weird times, like 8:30pm. Worked fine at that time.

- Parking lot ($14/day) is a bit strange, the 2 underground floors dimly lit (which you have to drive through completely to get out - huh?), and to then get into the hotel, force you to walk up/down the up/down ramps. Almost got run over several times.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your complete review of your experience at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel. Your “Pro” comments are a very nice description of our property. With respect to your “Cons”, it sounds like we did not do a sufficient job explaining the cost effective alternatives available to those with multiple internet service requirements. The Sheraton Club is available as an upgrade for only $30 per room, per night. Included with this would be a complimentary internet connection for each of your family members…as you described. In addition, however, you and your family would have also enjoyed complimentary breakfast, afternoon refreshments and snacks and evening offerings…a value much greater than the $30 upgrade fee. I apologize for the Front Desk Associates not doing a better job explaining the Sheraton Club benefits. In addition, they know better than to handle your comments about the fees in the manner you described. As we do not know your room number from your message, we have instructed the engineering team to spot check every room in the building to assure we do not have the scalding water conditions you described. Such conditions are not the norm.

Thank you again for your in-depth comments. We hope the information provided in this response will encourage you and others to return to our hotel or another Sheraton Hotel world-wide and take advantage of the Sheraton Club benefits.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a very worn property. Tiny bathrooms, elevators that move at glacial pace and take forever to arrive and terrible internet service. I waited on hold for 40 minutes to talk to someone in support to get my internet connection working and finally gave up. There are better places to stay.

Room Tip: Try someplace else.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to report we are installing new furniture in each of our rooms. We had our technology team test and reset all of the routers to assure we have good wi-fi service throughout the hotel. We have no records of faulty services at this time. There is no excuse for you having to wait to speak with someone regarding the internet connection. I apologize for that experience. We hope you give us another chance to serve you.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was planning to stay at this hotel but plans changed. Before the change, I had spoken to Ron Juneman, hotel manager. I must comment him for his concern and actions in trying to make my stay as comfortable as possible. I would stay at this hotel in the future just based on him

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I am platinum with Starwood, so I am not sure my experience is typical -- but probably similar for most business travelers. When I arrived, the person at the front desk said ``We've been waiting for you'' as if I were a long-lost cousin, and went into some detail about the hotel's offerings. I ended up upgraded to a beautiful suite, with a nice living area and desk.

On the floor, was a large club room for gold and platinum members which on the night I was there had wine and cheese (and brownees) complimentary, then had an excellent continental breakfast in the morning. I don't watch much TV other than sports, but about the only 2 non-sports and non-news shows I watch are Dexter and Homeland, so I was delighted that the hotel (and I take it most Sheratons) gets Showtime, which I'd much rather have than HBO.

There was also a shuttle to the St Louis/Lambert airport which operated I think on the half hour, at least much of the weekday. So all in all it was a hassle-free, pleasant experience with strikingly good service. I travel to the area now and then, so I will definitely be back in time. (Again, some of the amenities, though not all, are for frequent Starwood guests, so I am not claiming this is typical. Just what I got, which is great.)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This hotel has a chance to be pretty good as a value choice in Clayton Mo. We stayed here for three nights and upgraded to the club floor for the breakfasts and the wifi. I don't know if this was such a good deal as the fee for parking is $14 per night. The breakfasts were good to not good at all. If you have to pay a fee for wifi and add breakfasts along with the parking, it is NOT a value for money hotel.
FIX THE SLOW ELEVATORS.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Our Sheraton Club offers free Internet (both in the Club and in your guestroom), complimentary breakfast daily, complimentary evening appetizers and Cocktails (Beer and Wine) daily, 24 hour guest access to a separate computer/printer work station and the Club always has cold beverages, snacks and specialty coffee and teas available 7/24. Parking is at a premium in Clayton. We provide supervised parking where your vehicle is protected from the elements. I’m sorry we didn’t meet with your expectations, but hope you will allow us another opportunity if your travels return you to the greater Saint Louis area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Clayton Plaza Hotel
Seven Gables Inn
#4 of 5 in Clayton
The Cheshire
#47 of 122 in Saint Louis

Been to Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!