“Good hotel and friendly staff”

Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel and friendly staff”
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is nothing fancy, however it had good sized clean rooms and friendly staff. It is in Clayton Plaza which is convenient for work commitments which is what I was there for, however if you are a tourist I would recommend staying downtown where the action is. I would happily stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
We always enjoy getting comments that indicate we have a good hotel and friendly staff. Thank you for those kind remarks.

With respect to our proximity to downtown, many individuals find the light rail system to be a quick, convenient and economical way to enjoy downtown activities when you stay at the Sheraton Clayton Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The Sheraton Clayton was a fine hotel for my 3 night stay last week for business at the Washington University in St Louis. The hotel was within walking distance to public transportation (train and busses), and is a short walk to the Wash U Campus. It is about a thirty minute walk to Forest Park, but on a nice day, this is a beautiful walk.

The hotel itself was clean and comfortable, but I'm not sure it reaches Sheraton expectations. There was an indoor pool and a small fitness room (a few treadmills and some dumbells) which was clean and updated. The lobby was small (similar to a boutique hotel) and there was basically just a lobby bar. That being said the restaurants within a block of the hotel all looked great, although I was only able to try two, which were both excellent.

If you are looking for a clean and comfortable hotel in a good location (Wash U, or Clayton/ Forest Park area) then this will do nicely. They offer very good rates and there was a shuttle to the airport (about ten minute drive).

If you are traveling with kids, they will certainly love the indoor pool, and the proximity to the park makes it accessible for all the must sees (Art museum, museum of history, science museum and the zoo).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our location. We also appreciate your comments about the cleanliness and comfort of the hotel. Our indoor pool is a popular feature.

Our fitness room space is limited. We are looking for a way to expand that facility. We have all the basic pieces of equipment and look forward to the day we can expand that offering.

When you return, we would direct your attention to just beyond our new Link@Sheraton, experienced with Microsoft facility where we have our Alexander’s restaurant. You may have missed it because it is a little tucked away from the high traffic areas. We will look for ways to make it more visible. Alexander’s is open daily for breakfast and lunch and is also open on Friday and Saturday nights for dinner. The lobby lounge offers the full Alexander’s menu for lunch and dinner daily.

We look forward to your next visit. Thank you again for your kind remarks.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 20, 2012

If I could, I would give this place 3 1/2 stars. I stayed here because my other couple preferences were full. I would use again as my backup.

Here's the 1,2,3s...

1. Some relatively recent updates to the rooms that attempt to cover up this otherwise dated hotel. They mostly work, but you can still see the wear on the old furniture, walls, doors, an general shell of the room. Old electric outlets that didn't work properly, old phones (not that we use those things anyways), many nicks and scratches in traffic areas, etc.

2. Bed was comfortable and clean and I had a good night's sleep. Coffee, bottled water, WiFi, etc. all in the room and very much appreciated. My buddy that stayed the same night I did on a different floor mentioned that he thought the walls were rather thin as he could hear his neighbor. I did not experience this problem.

3. Hotel staff was very pleasant and helpful. This extended from the front desk, to the concierge, and to the breakfast restaurant. There is a lounge for Starwood Preferred members of a certain status.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for the many kind remarks found in item #'s 2 and 3 of your posting.

With respect to comment #1, we are pleased to report that we are in the process of replacing the desks, dressers and bedside tables in all the rooms. We have completed that work in 50% of the rooms with a target date of October 4 to have the entire hotel complete. As the furniture is being replaced, we are going back to make sure any bumps and bruises are repaired throughout the property.

We are working diligently to make the Sheraton Clayton Plaza your first priority hotel in this market.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Very clean, updated and convenient. We had good room service, helpful staff and a gorgeous room. We got a fruit and cheese platter and a bottle of wine that was superb. Beds were very comfortable and plush. There are a lot of events going on at this hotel and it can get a bit crowded, but our overall experience was a positive one.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Conviently located in Downtown. Stayed three night for a business trip. Everything was great except the gym. If you need a good gym this one is updated but very small. Also the hotel is old but has been remodeled.

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I attended a business conference at this hotel. It is located 20 minutes from the airport. The hotel has a free shuttle that leaves the hotel at the top of each hour but you can call the hotel front desk at a bank of phones in baggage claim.

The hotel staff, from the airport van driver, doorman, and front desk staff were all very friendly, helpful and easy to talk to. My room on the 16th floor was quiet, nicely furnished and clean. It had a shower, no bathtub, which is my preference.

I was given the option at checkin to participate in the sustainability program. By opting for less housekeeping during my stay, I got 500 bonus points.

The food served was tasty and well presented.

If I return to St. Louis anytime soon, I'll stay at this Sheraton.

Room Tip: This is a pet friendly hotel. I did not have a dog with me but I noticed the bellman had pet water a...
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We checked into this very busy hotel very late in the evening. There were lots of events going on and it was a very busy hotel. The parking lot and the outside of the hotel could have been better maintained as far as keeping it free of trash and debris. The room that we were in had two major problem: the toilet was filthy and had not been cleaned and the shower drain was clogged resulting in our standing in water to our ankles while showering. There were also stains on the carpet. I don't believe that the person responsible for regular maintenance of the hotel's rooms was properly informed by housekeeping of maintenance problems. If you're properly cleaning showers after guest check-out, how could you NOT notice that problem. Other than the cleanliness issue we were tired and got a good night's sleep. Nice area set-aside for club members. We enjoyed the breakfast and complimentary newspapers.

Room Tip: Check your room for cleanliness before you settle in.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
RonJuneman, General Manager at Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
We were delighted to hear you enjoyed the Sheraton Club benefits we offer. Thank you for bringing to our attention the maintenance and housekeeping items that were not properly identified and addressed prior to your arrival. Those items are not typical of our service levels. We will review your comments with our responsible teams. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I am confident that when you visit us again you will have positive comments about housekeeping and maintenance services.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Clayton Plaza Hotel
The Cheshire
The Cheshire
#44 of 120 in Saint Louis
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Galleria
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Gall...
#1 of 2 in Richmond Heights

Been to Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!