“Excellent food and great company”
Review of The Libertine

The Libertine
Ranked #38 of 70 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: American, European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 22, 2014

We like to take our daughter's friends to dinner whenever we visit her at college. This evening was no different. Sarah was a delight and interesting, particularly for someone so young. The Libertine had a nice selection of menu items but with a strong focus on pork. The pig tails were well prepared and a little different/something new for us. My dish of three fowls was moist and tasty. The veggies and the rice risotto were great complements. My daughter and wife ordered fish with corn chowder. They were equally pleased. The service was excellent. The restaurant was lively. The atmosphere that resulted was very nice.

2  Thank Gregory F
There are newer reviews for The Libertine

Reviewed August 22, 2014

Went here for a work dinner with coworkers. Heard this was currently the #1 restaurant in the area. Ambiance of the restaurant is very hip and cool. Service was good. Water was consistently being refilled. However, I don't know why there are so many good reviews. The food was absolutely horrible. I am a foodie and love things that are different and taste great. It seemed like the people in the kitchen were like - hey, I just FEEL like adding all these weird spices together for fun and putting as little food on the plate as possible and I will hope that it tastes semi-decent because we are known for being creative and doing what we feel like. Everything tasted off. The meat and cheese board - which I usually LOVE at every other restaurant I've ever had it at, tasted horribly. All the pate's tasted like dog food. The pig tail appetizer had a weird taste to it too. The octopus - same thing. The sauce it came in, which looked delicious and something I would lick off my plate did not go with the octopus and the rest of the flavors. The $22 pan seared fish I got was dry dry dry. Plus the plating presentation was a joke. The fish and whatever else it came with was only on the top edge of the plate. That's it. Where was the rest of it? Who plates food like that? The Libertine does because they want to be "different." Save yourself the money and go somewhere else. This is not worth the money. We ended up going down the street to 5 Star Burger where we got fries and shakes to make up for the calories we didn't consume and the hunger in our stomachs. Maybe I have a spoiled palette since I'm from LA and we have a ton of restaurants who do the same thing and have the same concept but when the dishes come out - your taste buds rejoice because all the flavors and textures go together. Not here my friends... not here.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Commonly regarded by critics and locals alike as what may just be the best restaurant in St. Louis, I have had the opportunity to dine here four times on my travels to St. Louis city. Service is always superb. Food is always creative and tasty. And they serve what are probably the best drinks in town. For once the critics got this one right. WOWSERS!

3  Thank Robert R
Reviewed July 26, 2014

The service is great and so it the drink selection. I was very unimpressed with the menu. The servings were small, I almost felt like we were on a show where they show exaggeratedly small servings. No, they charge a lot for a couple bites. The only person who had a satisfyingly full meal at our table had ordered a hamburger and it was just average. I ordered octopus and received two tentacles over a tiny bed of grains. It tasted fine but that's all I got was a taste. There wasn't even enough to share a small bite. Everyone at our table of six got a different main course and they were all tiny and did not taste amazing. We all left hungry.

1  Thank Caitlin H
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Rated 2013, one of the Best New Restaurants in St. Louis by St. Louis Magazine. Local sourced food, changing menu, creative, nice selection, excellent service. Extensive drink menu. Outside dining. Recommend highly.