“Good but not up to the hype”
Review of The Libertine

The Libertine
Ranked #43 of 73 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: American, European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We were there for a Sunday-night supper special -- Fried Chicken. On arrival we were disappointed to find that the wine list, while excellent, didn't have a Cava -- which we thought would be excellent with dinner. We made do with an Alsace bubbly that was just fine. Our first course, turtle soup, arrived before our wine or water. It was excellent. The fried chicken was just good -- not great -- the crust hard and not really stuck to the chicken. The greens and mashed potatoes were fine. The disappointment of the night was the black-bottom pie. While the filling was wonderful, the crust was a quarter-inch thick and hard as a rock. Seriously, you should not need a knife to chip through the crust.

This restaurant has received a lot of hype. They promote themselves heavily on social media. In two visits we can say that the menu is innovative, the service great, the wine list interesting, but the execution not quite up to everything else.

It is also noisy.

1  Thank TaosFoodie

Reviewed February 17, 2014

To be honest, there is not enough space for all the great things to say about our visit. From the service, to the food, to the atmosphere the evening was incredible. We toured the menu from She-crab soup, to sunflower fried rice, pan fried fish special (changes all the time), incredible bread (butter is churned in house) and then the desserts ... if I had to find 1 thing to complain about, is that I could not try everything on the menu. My wife was also extremely please, she wasn't sure of a cocktail so our waiter just had the bartender create something based on her wishes, and just like everything else ,, it was perfect.

3  Thank TheGilster_13
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We very much enjoyed The Libertine during Clayton Restaurant Week. The cocktails were excellent and the food was very good. We've heard so much about the Sunday fried chicken dinners that it will be our next visit.

1  Thank STL_MO_Traveler
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My daughter and her fiancé picked the restaurant as a place for my wife and I to meet our future in-laws. I will admit that after reviewing the menu online and reading the mix of reviews on Trip Advisor, Yelp and other locations I was prepared for a pretentious and overpriced meal. I was pleasantly surprised! While the prices seem a little high to someone who normally eats at chain restaurants, they are not outrageous.

As a starter course we shared the Housemade Terrine board which was quite interesting, especially the pickle and the apple butter.

Both my daughter and I had the Pork Porterhouse (a 2" thick pork chop with roasted broccoli and smashed potatoes) and were both happy with it. My daughter's fiancé and her father both had the Rib-eye which they were also fond of. Although, it was agreed by those at our table who tasted both that the Pork Porterhouse was the better of the two.

My wife had the Pan Roasted Fillet of Fish and had no complaints, nor did my daughter's future Mother-in-Law who had a Lobster and risotto dish. Unfortunately, the on-line menu does not list any of these dishes except for my wife's fish dish, so I can not give the exact names for the rib-eye or the Lobster dish.

We finished the meal with dessert. My daughter and I both had the Libertine Candy Bar (which reminded me of a Snickers Ice Cream bar with filberts taking the place of peanuts), my wife and our daughter-in-law-to-be both had the Apple Gallete, and the other father had the Sticky Toffee Pudding.

I believe that we were all pleased with the meal and the evening.

2  Thank James B
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We arrived at Libertine with great expectations. We did not have reservations but found two seats at the bar, which was fine with us. The bar itself is quite nice, but the details are lost in the blandness of the larger room. We decided to share a bottle of wine. After corking the bottle, the bartender carelessly poured the glasses, spilling the ($50) bottle of wine on the bar. This apparently was no big deal, as there was no acknowledgement or apology given. We were eating light, so we decided to share a few items. The first was the shrimp bisque. The bisque was rich and flavorful, but I found the ice cold spring roll floating in it to be an odd pairing. Next, we had the potatoes, which were delicious, and then came scallops that were off the menu. The scallops were paired with house made pork belly in a rich sauce, and the presentation was lovely. The scallops themselves, however, were over cooked to the point of becoming chewy. Again, the response from the bar was one of indifference. This is one of those things that you might overlook at another restaurant, but when you are paying $28 for 4 scallops from a star chef, the bar gets raised accordingly. We decided to cut our losses and pay our bill, and this is where the fun really began. The bartender took our bill and card and returned it promptly, but under inspection we realized he had used our card to pay someone else's (much higher) tab. So, he took our card back and did the exact same thing, applying the higher charge to our card. We finally got it straightened out, and they were kind enough to comp us a round of drinks, but this was emblematic of the entire experience. An indifferent attitude towards service - bad enough, but also the food, which is unacceptable. There are so many other outstanding restaurants in St. Louis right now that it just doesn't make any sense to waste your time and money in one a that has such a complacent attitude about what they do.

1  Thank Gregory C