“Overhyped”

Cuisines: American, European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Recently opened St. Louis restaurant with lots of positive revues, critics choices etc. Recent dinner there wife and guest was very disappointing. Wife had octopus (one tentacle but flavorful). I had "thin cut pork chops". Two very thin chops with little flavor and some sauted summer squash. Cost is quite high and protions very small. Extreme disappointment.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

You know the story. Pretentious chef (emperor) is duped into thinking he is wearing the best clothes when in fact he's wearing nothing at all. All the toadies go along wanting to be part of the gilded set, and it takes an innocent child to cry foul on the whole thing. Libertine is a modern-day take on the tale. We went having heard how this restaurant was going to change the face of St. Louis dining with its innovative cuisine. What a fraud! Have the people who rave about the fried pigtail actually tasted it? Imagine stale beef jerky that tastes like old shoes and will strip the fillings from your teeth. We should have known this place was way too preoccupied with itself when one of us ordered one of the specialty cocktails with vodka instead of gin. The bartender refused to make it claiming it would pollute his recipe. Excuse me! If you like to hear about the food being cooked in oil rendered from the tree bark from a Bolivian forest fire every time you order something, you'll love this place. I felt sorry for the waiter having to spew out these fables. I'd prefer this type of dining stay on the coasts. but then again at least I know I don't have to go back.

3  Thank BlessUSA
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was in STL for business earlier this month and had this place on my to-do list. I was dining solo so sat at the small bar in the front room. The two bartenders were very friendly and helpful with suggestions, and the GM Nate was also very cordial. They recommended some dishes and a cocktail, all of which were quite tasty and well-balanced.

I had a "barsnack special" of crispy-fried pork belly nuggets, which were served in a small brown paper bag like at a ball park. Tasty! For many dishes, I chose three smaller plates to sample the menu a bit, and I must say the ash-roasted carrots was the best vegetable dish I have had in some time. Many flavors and textures all well-balanced. I also had the twice-cooked duck egg which came on a leafy salad, and it was equally delicious.

I ate light enough to afford room for dessert, and apparently their pastry chef is quite the expert...I went for a blueberry pie with cinnamon ice cream, garnished with caramel corn. Yes please!

The wine list is well-thought out and the descriptions of the wines are fun and whimsical. Cocktails are a good option here too.

5  Thank Mark L
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I've been here twice. I think there is an art to eating here. I am by no means a foodie (not a hilljack either) but there were a lot of things on the menu that I had never heard of. Some were exceptionally good, others were too strange, others were not good and I regretted ordering. The menu is arranged by "portion size" which I like so you have a lot of freedom to try a lot of things (which might not necessarily go together) or good if you are only sorta hungry. Overall portion size is smallish. Some of my favs were the crispy pig tails, she crab soup, and the mushroom app. I imagine if you are a foodie or really like to try new items, you will have a field day here. The atmosphere is awesome, though with a nice bar area.

3  Thank Scott Z
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We dined at The Libertine recently and had an excellent time. Started with inventive drinks including a great mock tail for our designated driver. The small plates included pork belly gratons that were out of this world good. Main dishes included the three bird, hanger steak, dining burger and twice cooked duck egg on arugula. Desserts were exceptional, you have to try the Libertine Candy Bar. Overall, this was a fantastic evening with exceptional service, awesome food and comfortable ambiance. I highly recommend it!

3  Thank Brad H