“Great lunch”

Pastaria
Ranked #3 of 68 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great lunch”
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Cannot say enough about this restaurant. Food was awesome, service was excellent and the price reasonable. Highly recommend this establishment. Coming back again hopefully soon.

O'Fallon, Missouri, United States
“Wonderful pasta”
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

I have been there twice. Returned because the first visit was so good. I have tasted 3 different pastas -all were excellent. They make their own pastas and they are great. The sauces are not too salty, but very tasty.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Robert Z
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Not exactly a warm and welcoming place.”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I had heard so much hype about this place that I had to go. My wife and I chose a very cold night a few weeks ago, so cold that I dropped her off at the front door. The first problem we encountered was the "welcome." Pastaria practices the despicable policy of not seating a guest until the full party has arrived on the premises. To me, this is the exact opposite of hospitality and I will often turn on my heels and leave a place which won't let me sit down at a table till everybody is there. So they seated my wife in front of the curtained front door, but she still got the full blast of arctic air every time the door opened.

The space itself is huge and has the ambiance of an ugly factory - a factory in full tilt operation, with attendant noise, bustle, racket and machinery. Highly disconcerting. Highly unwelcoming.

Tables are wooden and space so close to each other that I heard every word of the animated conversation between the two same-sex lovers seated next to us. Highly entertaining, but I do not think that was their intention. Or maybe it was, who knows? Whatever, I learned some stuff that I did not necessarily want to know.

The food. Generally pretty good with one huge exception. I do not prefer al dente pasta and this spaghetti went well past al dente. Not enjoyable at all. On the other hand, the chopped salad was outstanding and an appetizer of ricotta balls also superior. My wife enjoyed her fish.

The service was OK. I liked our waiter a lot - he made up for the institutional lack of manners, was kind, unpretentious and helpful.

So we have a mixed bag here. The food makes it a place I'd like to re-visit, but I won't go back given the other major flaws. It really seems to be a place marred by the management's inhospitable and inexcusable choices. I'm not going to support such an environment with my money.

• Visited January 2014
8 Thank ready314
“Very good and no wait”
Reviewed January 14, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Pasteria doesn't accept reservations, so we took advantage of the horrible snow/weather and got seated right away. Food and service were both very good.

Visited January 2014
“What Brunch?”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Seriously, I didn't know Pastaria offered "brunch" on Sunday. A friend recommended the French toast so another friend and I went there....horrible choice. My fault for expecting brunch-like food. I almost ordered the frittata until the server advised us that pasta is added for texture - weird. Isn't that what the egg is for...texture. Okay, so we skipped that and went with the wood oven baked eggs. They came out in a small skillet - bread is the first layer then their tomato sauce with fresh basil and they crack two eggs over the top and bake it. Mine was cooked way too long. The eggs were partially green..yeah, green and the yolk was so hard it wasn't edible, along with half the bread in the bottom of the skillet. I left there hungry. If it hadn't been for the fabulous bloodys made by Megan, the brunch would have been a total loss.
Yes, I've been to Pastaria for lunch - didn't care much for the pasta, pizza or salad. I've given this place enough of my time and money.

• Visited December 2013