“They do the basics perfectly”
Review of Pastaria

Pastaria
Ranked #3 of 73 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

You can tell everything here is fresh. Great decor. Don't go too crazy here because there are some options that are a little bizarre and will be a bit of a gamble if you like them or not. My wife ordered a simple spaghetti with basil and tomato sauce and I picked off her plate the whole meal. Her's was phenomenal. I tried to get adventurous and it bit me. Their side dishes are great as well. The roasted brussel sprouts were the best I've ever had. I'd give 5 stars except they don't take reservations and you usually have to wait a long time.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

One of the best restaurants in STL with arguably best chef in STL. Pasta, pizzas, salads, risotto balls, gelato - superb! One of my top 5 favorite restaurants in STL. Don't miss it!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Italy in Aug 2012. We stayed in southern Italy for 1 week participating in a cooking program. We had some of the best food ever! So when I read the tagline of Pastaria, "sorta close to Italy", I was sort of doubtful. I was pleasantly surprised. Each one of us ordered something different and we shared. I feel like the true test to tasting whether or not a pizza is good is by ordering the margherita. It was reminiscent of Positano and Napoli. It had a nice crust, not too saucy, and good quality cheese. Mike ordered the Strozzapreti, a Bolognese pasta. It had a good hardy sauce and tender pasta. Finally, my friend Sue ordered the Pistachio Ravioli. I didn't pick up on the notes of mint and lemon as advertised, but overall it was a delish dish. The best part of the ravioli was the oil and cheese left on the bottom of the dish, which quickly made it onto our bread and into our bellies. I loved that they carried a locally grown wine from southern Italy, Falanghina. I was a little disappointed with the flavor selection of the gelato, I was hoping for some traditional flavors like hazelnut or lemon. Overall we had a great dinner with an excellent wait staff. In southern Italy, whenever the bill comes, you get a postcard, so it was a nice touch that they did this too. I would recommend reservations, we got there at 5:20pm, and there was already a wait.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Excellent, new Italian restaurant. Hip staff, terrific menu, and nice separate bar area. All open tables, no booths, so confidential business conversations are difficult.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I took several colleagues to Pastaria for a business lunch. We arrived after the lunch rush had waned. There were 5 total in my party and we were made to wait 15 minutes for a table that was available when we walked in the door. The food was excellent, the pizza's while nothing ground breaking were very well executed. The member of our party who ordered pasta reports that it was delicious. We really enjoyed our meal, but did not enjoy the forced wait for an already open table. It extended our lunch far beyond what we had planned and threw the remainder of our afternoons business activities off kilter. If there was an issue with staffing, we would have appreciated being informed of that upon arrival and then be seated and a drink order taken rather than be left to stand around for an extended period.

1  Thank STL_MO_Traveler