“Charming and delicious...”
Review of De Mun Oyster Bar

De Mun Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
De Mun Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 69 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Philadelphia
“Charming and delicious...”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stopped in early on a Saturday for lunch, and had the whole place to ourselves (nice). The decor is a riff on a French bistro; comfortable and intimate. We chose the bar with the great view of the beautiful oysters resting in crushed ice. Half the fun is watching a professional pop an oyster open in no time. They had 6 varieties, and the waiter/bartender was extremely knowledgable about each, and was helpful in suggesting wine pairings. We sampled 3 of each kind; I'm from the East Coast and a bit skeptical about getting oysters this far inland, but these babies were FRESH and extremely tasty! The service was attentive without being cloying. I'd highly recommend this place (and I will return!).

• Visited April 2013

“one of my favorite spots for seafood in STL”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The atmosphere, service, food are all great. The oyster are a bit pricey but taste great. The fries and fried shrimp are also very good. I love the vintage plates that are used and the dining room is small. It would be a great place for those planning a romantic date night.

Visited March 2013
Peach Orchard, MO
“Great potential, but put off by pretentious server and $$$”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I love oysters. Whether we're on the gulf or either coast, my wife and I regularly seek out oyster bars, and are hard pressed to find a better way to cap off an afternoon than a couple of beers and a dozen oysters on a patio bar.
So when we noticed the Demun oyster bar tucked into a cozy neighborhood corner just west of Forest Part, we thought we'd found a new favorite.
Unfortunately, a snooty waiter broke the spell. I'm not sure if we looked like we'd just fallen off the turnip truck or he thought oysters are a novelty in STL, but we got a condescending lecture on the superiority of pacific oysters, the pedestrian nature of the canned gulf oysters he was sure were served in every other oyster establishment, and generally got the impression he thought we were bringing down property values by being there.
The condescending service combined with a $45 tab for a dozen oysters and 2 beers more or less guaranteed we won't be back, which is a shame, because the rest of the menu looked great.

• Visited October 2012
“finger lickin' good”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

First, we started with specialty cocktails and they did not disappoint. Although $10 is more than I'd like to pay for a drink, we were both surprised with the complexity and smoothness of these concoctions. Next, I had one each from the "Du Jour" menu of oysters. I eat oysters occasionally but never more thank one type at a time. It was an eye-opening experience to see a large difference not only in the physical appearance but also the taste and texture of each oyster. Then came the mussels and clams in a white wine garlic sauce; and there were a lot of them! That sauce was amazing. In fact, after I devoured those critters, we ordered bread to simply soak up the remaining sauce.
Bartender's service was also not too shabby...
I would recommend this spot to any shellfish lover, it would also be good for a date.

• Visited February 2012
Forked River, NJ
“A great little gem with outstanding food”
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Visited this place while in St Louis, and went here with family for a late afternoon, leisurely lunch. The weather was perfect for sitting outside enjoying the sun and the small bit of foot traffic passing by. The area this place is in is really cool, not too much, but a real interesting part of town with a lot going on around it (as an aside, I didn't realize until later that the hotel I was staying in, The Cheshire, was located within walking distance, albeit a bit of a walk).

A funky place, not really what one would call very upscale. But interesting decor inside and out, comfortable seating and surroundings, really nice outdoor seating area, great service, and great food. What more could you ask for on a nice afternoon?

We sat outdoors, and the owner himself waited on us (again, it was mid-afternoon on a weekday and it appeared a bit slow). I think his name was Chad (please if I am wrong, forgive me, it's been a while now as I will mention further below), and you couldn't ask for better service. Warm, friendly, attentive, and obviously enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the food and drink - the perfect host! Made us feel right at home, and very welcome and comfortable.

There were three of us, including my land-locked nephew who had never eaten oysters before (how can that be?). Of course, oysters it had to be. On the day of our visit, they had several varieties, and we had a sampler of six for nephew and me. They were OUTSTANDING - fresh, tender, sweet, about as good as you could have anywhere - and I eat oysters everywhere, including many, many coastal establishments that couldn't match the care and love with which these were prepared, served, and devoured. They also make an outrageous blend of frozen salt with something spicy, that looks a bit like coarse blue salt, but which is absolutely out of this world. Forget any cocktail sauce! This stuff is about the best on an oyster I've ever had (forgive me for forgetting the name of the "stuff", but trust me here, it's outrageous on fresh raw oysters). Nephew was an instant convert (how couldn't he be), and we of course had to order a second half-dozen (I could have easily polished down a few dozen alone). Outstanding oysters, alone worth checking this place out.

Beyond that, we had several "real" lunch items. I had an oyster po-boy (why not?), since I figured they couldn't ruin a good thing. A pretty good sandwich, not quite NOLA standards, but very good nonetheless. Wife had a fried shrimp basket. I kid you not, I don't think I have EVER seen so many plump tender fried shrimp at one time, along with a huge serving of very good fries (keep serving like this, they're going out of business!). Delicious too. Nephew had clam chowder, and it looked very good, with several clams in shells atop the rich broth (bit unorthodox, but it appeared very good). To accompany, I had a suggested microbrew (from Michigan I think) that was recommended by "Chad", which was excellent and a perfect accompaniment. Wife had wine, again very nice. No dessert - we had had enough by that time!

All in all, a really good experience, and a great value. Don't recall what we paid, but it was very reasonable for the overall quality. A great afternoon to sit outdoors, eat great oysters (and that "blue ice"), drink a beverage, and enjoy the sun. Who could ask for more?

We went here in September, and I write this review nearly a month later. It has taken TripAdvisor this long to approve this restaurant for review, and I think I may be the first to review it. So, forgive my faulty memory, "Chad". But whatever the name, you're doing something right! I only hope that the area supports this place, and it thrives, and is here the next time I visit St. Louis, since I will be back!

Check this place out. Say hello to "Chad" for me!

• Visited September 2011