“Worth the long wait”

Ranked #6 of 71 Restaurants in Clayton
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Always busy this breakfast spot has become a habitual stop for me on trips to St. Louis. I even strolled the shops along the boardwalk and found birthday gifts for my 30+ y/o dtr and two grandkids under 5. Food at restaurant is diverse, seasonal, and scrumptious.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I was very disappointed on my most recent visit to Half & Half, the restaurant that was previously my favorite breakfast/brunch/lunch spot in the area. In fact, I was very much looking forward to the visit and convinced my son to dine here, rather than Crushed Red.

Of course, it was busy, and there was a significant wait. We ended up being offered a seat at the bar, which is far less comfortable than the tables, but we agreed to it.

I ordered the French toast, which were two small pieces, little garnish (no sides), and the texture was firm and rubbery. To be honest, I would have been more satisfied with an Eggo waffle! The French toast was $9.50 (plus tax and tip) and would have been too expensive if it were delicious.

My son enjoyed the steak and eggs dish, so perhaps I ordered wrong. For me alone, it was a two-star meal, but I averaged the visit and rated it a three-star meal.

Nonetheless, I have removed this restaurant from my recommended list.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

This was second time I tried this little place in Clayton. I had the baked oatmeal and it was truly scrupulous. It tasted like a fruit cobbler but not overly sweet.....just right. My husband had the Steak and Eggs. Very good as well. We went around 9:30 on a Tuesday morning and there was no wait. Maybe we lucked out!

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Checked out Half and Half for lunch today with friends per their suggestion. I had not been in the restaurant before, but had heard good things and read great reviews.

Though I understand the need to keep a menu small, I thought it was nearly devoid of anything lunch-worthy. If you are a big breakfast fan and don't mind eating breakfast for lunch, I can see how this place could be a hit with you.

As for me, I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich (it was cheddar cheese over grilled chicken pieces and not a chicken breast) with chips. The meal was fine but pricey. The gals I was dining with really seemed to love what they ordered - brioche French toast, veggie hash - but those are both breakfast items to me.

Anyway, I have had worse meals but I have also enjoyed much, much better meals for the same money. I may give it a try for breakfast some time, but if I go back for lunch it will not be my idea.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

This is my second visit to Half and Half and I'm afraid it may very well be my last visit. I have to disagree with most of the reviews, if not all of them. I gather from people who live in Clayton and surrounding area, the best time to go is on the weekend. Unfortunately, I was not in St. Louis on the weekend and went on Wednesday morning.

Not good, big disappointment. Coffee good - food was not good. I ordered a sausage sandwich, I think that is what they called it. When it came to the table I had one sausage patty, on a dry biscuit, with one tsp. of melted cheese on top. On the side, I had about 3 cups of friend potatoes. I forgot what they charged for this, but whatever it was, I was overcharged. I would not fix a breakfast of this caliber for my family. My two daughters were very disappointed with their meals.

As I said before, perhaps they ramp their menu up for the weekends, but I use caution in going during the week. My two daughters eat there often, but on the weekends, and liked it. This most recent experience was not good. - Sorry Half and Half - do not pay for bad food.