All reviewsno elevatorirish pubcontinental breakfastsmall hotelmolly darcychain hotelfirst floorchocolate chip cookiesdowntown claytonflat screencomfortable bedsst louisparkingweddingvaletcheshirelodging
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This is one of our favorite places to stay. The Seven Gables is beautiful, has a wonderful, quiet courtyard and the room was perfect for the romance my wife and I were looking for. All the staff was so nice and location of the hotel is perfect. This area of Clayton has great restaurants and night life. I strongly recommend the Seven Gables and my wife and I are very picky, so I know if they satisfy us, they will you as well.

Room Tip: We have stayed here 7-8 times and have never had a bad room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
GablesManager, General Manager at Seven Gables Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that it was the perfect romantic getaway.

Seven Gables Inn is such an intimate place with a staff that is here to please our guests. We all take such pride in providing the best customer service and to make you feel as if you are at your home away from home.

We appreciate your kind review and look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I've stayed at the Seven Gables Inn several times because I enjoy the charm, architecture, friendly and helpful staff, comfortable beds, and great location within easy walking distance to many restaurants and sites. There are a few drawbacks - the breakfast fare needs healthier options with fresh, better-quality food, the daily parking fee is high, and there is no elevator. But to me, these are relatively minor drawbacks because I enjoy the ambiance of a place that feels more like a charming, welcoming home than an impersonal hotel chain. Plus - a high-quality breakfast is only 1/2 block away at a local restaurant. And walking up 1-2 flights of steps with luggage is good exercise - or the staff are more than willing to carry it up for you.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Julianne M
GablesManager, General Manager at Seven Gables Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Thank you for taking time to post your review.

Clayton does have very limited parking but the advantage with our hotel is you pay a daily rate and can come and go as much as you would like and you always have the option of utilizing our valet at no additional cost.

With your guest room rate the hotel offers a variety of complimentary items, such as internet, telephone calls, Fiji water, chocolates, Wolfgang Puck coffee makers in all guest rooms as well as our Euro Continental Breakfast which features pastries, muffins, danish, cereal as well as a hot item that is rotated daily. For the healthier side we also offer fresh fruit tray, yogurt, smoothies, hard boiled eggs, granola bars and oatmeal.

Again thank you for you feedback.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

I travel frequently for business and was getting tired of characterless hotel chains. So, I decided to book the Seven Gables due to charm and proximity to where I had to be. Worst sleep and hotel stay I've had in years.

THE GOOD:
• It's located in a really quaint, upscale area with lots of nice restaurants, shops and park within walking distance plus the Zoo, etc.

THE BAD:
• $17 charge for parking -- and I was there for only 18 hours! I thought the guy at the front desk said “seven dollars” when I checked in and was aghast to receive a bill for $17
• Live music in their pub right beneath my room until 11:30pm. I was exhausted from the day and looking forward to turning in early, so this was awful. Call me crazy but I think folks can go to other places for live music than -- oh, I don't know -- a place of lodging where people are trying to sleep.
• Lumpy bed
• Messed up water in the shower. It literally SCREECHED out of the facet at an almost unbearable noise level
• No hairdryer
• Dirty drawers in the bathroom filled with hair and old medication
• 2 lights were out in the bathroom and one in the sitting area
• At checkout, no one even asked if I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank LindsayB10
GablesManager, Manager at Seven Gables Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Thank you for taking time to post your review.

We are disappointed you did not enjoy your stay. We take every guests feedback very serious and look into all concerns.

Unfortunately due to the limited space in Clayton parking is very limited but the nice thing regarding our parking here at Seven Gables is the guests can come and go without any additional costs to them other than the one time fee.

The hotel/pub does offer live music every Friday night and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We try to inform all guests upon arrival that there is live music which ends at 11pm and we apologize if this did not happen and for future stays we can always ensure our guests that we can assign guests rooms away from the pub and the music.

As for the housekeeping issues we address all concerns immediately and please be assured that theses concerns have been turned over to the appropriate department and corrected.

With all guests sleeping room rates each guest receives complimentary internet, telephone calls, Wolfgang Puck coffee makers, chocolates and Fiji water in all guest rooms as well as a Euro Continental breakfast served daily with rotating hot items added to our breakfast. All guest rooms also include iron, ironing board and hair dryers which are all located in the guest room closet so I apologize that you were not made aware of this and again we can only continue to improve our service and communication with our guests when we receive your feedback so thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

7 Gables is located in a great suburb of St. Louis, very quant theme & decor. Not really designed for children. The service was above average (staff very nice). HOWEVER, hotel has 3 floors but does NOT have an elevator (we were located on the 3rd fl, getting luggage up & down wasnt fun nor travelling the stairs several times in a day) or adequate air conditioning (had to use stand fans). You can only get ice from the staff. The parking is pretty expensive (& I live in Chicago). The bath/shower/tub & toilet area were extremely small with NO ventilation. Probably wouldn't stay there again, which is very unfortunate due to its quaintness.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Rosalyn T
GablesManager, General Manager at Seven Gables Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Thank you for taking time to post your review.

The Seven Gables Inn is listed on the National Historic Registry and the goal of the hotel was to keep the charm and history of the building while offering our guests modern amenities. The hotel does have valet/bellman staff on site that is here to assist our guests with parking cars and taking luggage to the rooms for our guests. Also if you cannot climb steps the hotel offers 6 sleeping rooms on the first floor nestled around our quaint and inviting Courtyard.

We are currently in the process of giving the hotel a little TLC in updating and fixing some minor issues that we have and the AC is one of those issues but we sincerely appreciate our guests feeback and take every concern very seriously.

We apologize you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

I was made aware of this lovely inn by way of a groupon, and unable to find a reason to use it, I made sure to make a mental note of this historic inn. So last weekend, when my husband and I booked tickets to The Lumineers concert at the Duck Room, I made sure to book a night at the Seven Gables to check it out.
First, nothing is more satisfying than booking a hotel without the husband knowing anything about it and have him fall in love with your choice! We love seeing old buildings preserved and given the care and attention they deserve without losing the original structure and "feel" of the era they were originally built in. The pictures make it look like it is a stand alone building in a secluded area, but its actually in a quiet, nice area of the city itself, and attached to a series of other buildings. This didn't take away from the beauty of the hotel to us, we thought it was kind of an oasis in the desert - to see the Tudor style among old brick buildings and newer, modern structures made it even more interesting to the eye. Reading other reviews, I already knew that parking was an additional $17 (which seemed steep for just a one night stay, but hey, that's the city for you), so we parked in their lot across the street, walked past the entry to the Irish pub next door and checked in.
If the view of the courtyard behind the reception desk isn't enough to win you over, there are freshly baked cookies, tea, and coffee available to you immediately upon entering. Once we checked in, we walked quickly to our room (note: no elevators) and fell in love with it. It was quaint, clean, and pleasantly decorated - incorporating both new and old styles of furnishings. The bathroom was a good size, very clean and bright. I loved the Aveeda products! i wish we would've been more adventurous and looked around the whole hotel, but we wanted to check out the Irish pub before the concert.
Molly Darcy's is really neat - there was even a few guys setting up to do a gig, but we weren't there long enough to see them play or how loud it got. I was pleased to see that the pub got a good crowd that evening, and that they had a decent selection of "Irish" draft beers and a full bar. We didn't get to try the menu besides sharing some fries, so again, another thing we'll have to come back to try. The crowd cleared out by the time we left the concert, so I don't think the pub disturbs any of the guests, which is nice. I'm not very happy when I don't get my sleep! The bed was comfortable and we weren't awoken by any noises through the walls or hallways; though if we had some rowdy guests next to us, it would be a different story as I could hear foot traffic in the hall during the day (again, all a part of staying in an older hotel).
Breakfast in the morning was held in the pub...not sure if that is usually how they do it, but it was still nice... I did see a room across the hall from the pub that had tables and chairs all set up which is were I SWEAR the guy who checked us in told us it would be, but a lady directed us firmly to the pub... The breakfast consisted of breakfast burritos (SCORE), cereals, bagels & pastries, fruit, yogurt, orange and cranberry juice, coffee and tea. It was perfect and hit the spot before we started on our way home.
Due to the weather, we weren't able to enjoy the courtyard as we would've liked, but our stay was perfect and has made us claim the Seven Gables as our go-to place everytime we come to St. Louis.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage or are with someone that has a hard time with stairs, make sure to request a room on the first floor as there are no elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sam2233

Thank you for taking time to post your review.

We are extremely happy that you enjoyed the hotel. It's always nice to hear from our guests that thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and their visit with us.

We are excited that Seven Gables Inn will be your choice of hotel when you are in the area. Its always so nice to see returning guests.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

General Mangaer