“Real Bush Isolated Charm”
Review of Bloomfield Lodge

Bloomfield Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 16, 2008

I loved this place. From the moment you take off in the tiny plane to the moment you land back at Cairns again you're in another world.

As a nature lover I was exited about seeing the range of creatures that make the area so unique and I wasn't dissapointed. A kangaroo sat by the side of the airstrip and watched our plane land with interest.

The 4WD and boat trip take you to the resort, the management couple at the time Keith and Shelley were helpful and courteous, happy to tell us all about the snakes and goannas that wander round. The room was great with a balcony right on the rainforest and all the sounds that go with it.

If you are a delicate sleeper then you may be in for a rough time, the rainforest choir strikes up about 8 ish, I personally loved it and found it incredibly soothing but I was told that there have been complaints from gusest asking whether the frogs could be moved somewhere else. What world do some people live in!

Action packed here it is not, they get two types of guest, honeymooners and the over fifties with a disposible income. I guess because no one else can afford it. You can do as little or as much as you want, you can do some very challenging rainforest walks on your own but will require a degree of fitness which generally means very few people do them.

The river cruise is fun and informative, we did it with two different guides, both with different ares of knowledge and therefore not repetetive. The guides knew how much I wanted to see a Croc but despite their very best efforts it was breeding season and there were none to be seen.

I was lucky with other stuff though and got to meet a little tree snake, some of the white lipped tree frogs, the wonderful lace monitors that roam the place and a fantastic carpet pythomn one night.

The food is divine as are the pre dinner canape's and their Chef is a legend. You will not be able to say no. I don't generally eat seafood but tucked in with relish to the lovely dishes that were provided.

The worst time is leaving, you do easily build up a bit of a bill without realising at the honesty bar but the fresh juice in the fridge is included and I drunk tons of this.

You will get bitten lots so take the worlds strongest repellant and enjoy!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Smarshy12

Reviewed November 5, 2008

Agree with most recent reviews - Bloomfield Lodge is a gorgeous place to chill out in a rainforest environment, with good food (and lots of it!), lovely accommodation and very professional hosts (thanks, Courtenay & Ben). The light aircraft transfer to and from Cairns is pretty amazing too.

We stayed in a Honeymoon Cottage at the furthest point from the pool/dining area - so far up in fact that a torch was provided as there were no pathway lights for the final 100 yards. Very secluded and peaceful. I took a look at another Honeymoon Cottage further down the resort which is completely open to the elements at the front (ie no walls or windows) and had it's own outdoor hot tub - would be fantastic for anybody who is happy to share their evenings with local wildlife as the views were stunning!

Most people seem to stay for 3 or 4 nights so there are plenty of daily changeovers - and it's popular with honeymooners. At one point there were just 6 of us in the resort (it accomodates around 38 people in total) so there was a great feeling of exclusivity about it.

Did the inclusive trips that most people seem to do - rainforest walk and river cruise - which were good and enough for us as our main objective was to relax and take in the surroundings.

Drinks (particlularly wine) can be a little pricey, particularly considering there is no actual bar service (honesty bar only), and so the price of casual drinks over the course of a day can build up (as we found out when settling our account at the end of our stay!).

We found the communal dining a plus rather than a negative but we were lucky to find ourselves with other like-minded guests. For a change of scenery Courtenay was glad to oblige with a gourmet picnic for four on the jetty which was fab.

Can't understand why some previous reviews have criticised the lack of air conditioning - the last thing this resort needs is the constant clatter of air conditioning units - the room fans were more than adequate.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Saltychocolate
Reviewed October 25, 2008

My fiance and I spent 4 nights at Bloomfield. We had won the trip through a Trailfinders competition, and being an urban lover, I was not sure at all if I could handle being so far away from civilisation! However, Bloomfield has changed my mind and attitude toward this type of travel and accommodation. You arrive at the resort via light plane from Cairns to a small airstrip in Ayton. Then there is a 4WD pickup to the Bloomfield River, where a small boat transfers you to the resort, just outside the mouth of the river [this transfer travel is all inclusive in the resort tariff rates]. Once there the management show you around and explain the available activities, some free, some are not. There is also an honesty bar, where you can help yourself to drinks and mark them off on your own personal tab [to be paid when you checkout]. The free activities include a guided rainforest walk & a guided river cruise, where you can see many crocodiles sunbathing on the riverbed very close up [as close as 1 metre away in an open boat..!] There is a beautician who flies in from Cairns everyday, and her spa treatments are reasonably priced. Every staff member is more than helpful & very friendly. We spent some late nights fishing off the pier, catching a few crabs, and a few baby sharks! Even VERY late at night the maintenance guys would come out & help us out if they had run out of bait, or if we couldn't find extra fishing line to repair those lines that the crabs had snapped through. All fishing supplies are provided by the resort at no extra cost. The very best thing about the resort though is the FOOD!!! The breakfast spread was large, but the 3-course lunch & 3 course dinners are AMAZING. 5 star meals & 5 star service. We stayed in a rainforest room, with views out to the ocean. Although we won this trip... we would be very prepared to visit Bloomfield again [and pay this time!!]. We have recommended this resort to anyone who will listen.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TAAMelbourne
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Daintree Rainforest AustraliaTitle: Tranquil, Great food but pricey tours.ID#: 18921824 We stayed on Bloomfield July/ August 2008. 2 adults 2 teenagers.Staff very friendly, helpful and informative especially the guides. Food excellent. Well done to the chef Dale who catered for our specific requirements admirably. The accomodation both in the 2 storey Queenslander for the teenagers and our room also a queenslander was very high spec.Considering its remote location the standard of nearly everything was excellent. However the gym consists of 3 old pieces of equipment located in the laundry area. The pool wasnt used or cleaned to my knowledge whilst we werethere as being winter it was nt heated. Although it was hot weather the pool was too cold to use. The spa was a disappointment, consisting of a small hot tub for about 2 people. One of the teenagers had a treatment and was very satisfied with it.The honesty bar worked well, and again the highlight was the food, but no choice of courses. Excellent picnic.Apart from the games room and the inclusive trips we were hard pushed to keep the teenagers occupied. I dont reccomend taking teenagers, as unless extra trips are budgeted for this is expensive.The Bloomfield Falls trip I felt could have been included on the riverboat cruise, instead if being extremely expensive for a family of 4 and quite frankly although pretty wasnt worth the money.The trip to Laura to see the Rock paintings was again very expensive but the tour operator they use; Barts travel a family run enterprise; was excellent . Pity one cant access these trips independantly from the hotel, to make it more competitive. If you only choose one trip make it this one although the Reef fishing trip is popular we didnt do it, as we went to Lizard Island first. If you are going to the Reef save your money for boat trips there.Also the local beach involves a charge going by boat and again if you are going to the Reef this isnt worth it, the beaches there are better.Its a really pretty location and the rainforest walk is very informative but be warned there is some clambering up ropes to hoist oneself up which isnt well publicised. A reasonable level of fitness is required.A well appointed restful resort if you only want to chill out, again not reccommended for children and Teens with hind sight.With all this in mind I would reccommend the resort. A trailfinders employee visited whilst we were there to write an article for the magazine, lookout for it.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank sharmelin
Reviewed June 12, 2008

My husband and I spent a month travelling around Australia over Christmas and New Year 2007 / 2008 and for me, our stay here was the highlight of our trip.

The journey to and from the resort was an experience in itself - plane, 4X4 and then boat. We even had the plane journey back to Cairns all to ourselves (save for the pilot of course)!

The small resort is truly a little piece of heaven; an escape from the hectic computer driven world that we live in. No mobile phone coverage and no internet access for guests - a true delight.

The hosts were really welcoming and friendly and all the staff went out of their way to make our stay memorable. It was my husband's birthday whilst we were staying there and the artisitic dessert reading 'happy birthday' was much appreciated.

The food was of a very high quality and quantity. For Christmas day, the feast included turkey, beef, prawns and morton bay bugs as well as a wonderful spread of salads etc.

Although the menu is set, you are asked on arrival if there are any foods that you can't eat and the menu is altered for you accordingly.

Yes, there is communal dining, but its a great opportunity to mix with fellow travellers and exchange tips about other places to visit and activities to do. I think this enriches the experience.

The Big Mama trip was fantastic, although through my own fault, I suffered dehydration sickness the following day as a result of not drinking enough on the boat. I spent all of Christmas Eve in bed, but the staff were very helpful and let me have some rehydration sachets. This event was my own fault, as there were drinks available. Top tip to anyone going on this trip, drink plenty of water all day long!

I also made use of the beauty treatments, which was an added bonus. You ask to book an appointment and then she is brought in by boat from the nearby village.

To be fair to those people with walking diffculties or wheelchair users, I'm not sure that the surroundings of this resort would make it very accessible for you. It may be bets to liaise with the resort first and see what they can do for you.

We only booked a standard rainforest room and although the room was small, it was perfectly designed within the rainforest surroundings.

Yes, there are laundary facilities and this was an added bonus. I prefer to do my own washing whilst on such a long trip and the facilities are more than adequate.

In summary, my husband and I have stayed at a number of properties on our travels that claim to be luxury, but they are not always up to scratch. For value for money, we think the Bloomfields experience is excellent and we would absolutely recommend this resort. The only other place we have stayed where we have received such excellent service is at the Islands of Siankaba in Zambia.

After staying at Bloomfield, we subsequently stayed at Lizard Island and although that part of our stay cost us a fortune, the service and friendliness of the staff was no where near that of Bloomfield and it was not worth the money they charge. I just hope the concept and small size of the Bloomfield resort does not alter, as we would love to go back again one day.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gweek
Reviewed March 10, 2008

We were picked up by Bloomfield's bus driver from our hotel in Cairns and taken to the airport. As we were flying on a light aircraft we were weighed, as were our bags - 7kg is all we were allowed!

We were taken to a special waiting area where we were offered tea, coffee & biscuits. Before long the pilot was in front of us running through the safety procedures and we were taken to the plane where each group had their photo taken before boarding.

The plane was a 12 seater Caravan, we were all lucky to be able to fit up the aisle it was so small! The views during the flight were spectacular, I had the camera running hot the whole way.

After about 30 minutes the pilot announced it was time to land, I looked up ahead and thought it was strange when I saw a mountain. I turned to the left a bit and realised that the grass paddock below was where we were going to land! The landing was amazingly smooth to what I expected landing in a paddock would be like.

After departing the plane, as a safety measure we had to wait for it to leave before we climbed on to a small bus driven by Ryan, one of the hosts, to make our way to Bloomfield. 15 minutes on a gravel road and we were at the river where we all clambered into a flat bottomed motorboat which would transport us to our secluded haven, Bloomfield.

Two minutes into our trip and we saw our first in the wild croc, basking in the sun on the edge of the riverbank. We motored out the mouth of the river and out to sea a little as the tide was right out and the sandbars exposed. The seaspray hit us as we skipped across the waves heading toward Bloomfield.

After 10 minutes of travel we arrived at the jetty where a tractor backed into the sea, hitched the boat on and towed us to dry land so we didn't get our feet wet. It was an amazing thing to experience.

We were then greeted by Ali, Ryan's wife, and guided up to our accommodation in the treetops. We walked 4 flights of stairs, where we came to a stunning bar, dining and pool area - I knew then this was going to be total heaven.

Ali offered everyone a drink and explained how Bloomfield worked. We were then shown to our beautiful rooms complete with balcony, bed with princess nets and a the local Golden Orb spider just outside our shower window - she was beautiful. There were no phones, no computers - I thought I would go mad but amazingly I didn't miss them at all.

The next few days were filled with total relaxation, divine food and drink, basking in the sun, spas and great girly time. We went on a croc hunting expedition one day which was fantastic, got quite up close to some of the crocs and Jamie, our guide, was a crackup. A real north QLDer!

On one of the days the wild ones did a rainforest walk, which was really interesting, while the princesses booked in for a massage.

Each night just before dusk we grabbed a bottle of champagne and wandered down to the jetty to watch the sunset and did a spot of fishing. We caught a few puffer fish, a few crabs, who never quite made it to the jetty, and a Bream.

The wildlife at night was amazing, we even had a shy gecko come out in our room every night. The green tree frogs are adorable.

The food at Bloomfield is to die for, you'll never be hungry and you'll want to take the chefs home with you!

The hosts and staff are absolutely wonderful.

After 3 nights at Bloomfield I didn't want to leave, it really was heaven.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank AustralianClassychic
Reviewed March 9, 2008

The journey from Cairns to Bloomfield was fun - a very small plane, 4WD and boat. We had booked the cheapest room, Rainforest View, but seemed to be upgraded, to a pleasant, largish cabin with a lovely terrace and super views.

NB: The resort is built on a very steep site, with many steps; I have some breathing problems and was not aware of this before I booked, or I may have thought twice. For this reason, we didn't go on the walk, as we were told by other guests that it was tough going. We did, however, go twice on the boat trip, which was very good with informative guides and we were lucky to see crocodiles on the first trip. These were the only free activities, other than fishing from the jetty, splashing in the small pool and eating! Any other off-site activities cost a small fortune.

We were not the only people who were misled by mentions of 'free laundry'; all this meant, was free use of machines. Very disappointing.

We were also concerned to find that communal dining was expected at all meals, though we were told we could request a table for two. I think this would have been embarrassing, though. Also, there was no choice of food, just a set menu. The food was good, but not wonderful.

We tried, on several occasions, to find our way to the path to the beach. A signpost would have been helpful. Mosquitoes were a a problem, but there were some super., huge, butterflies and other insects, and snakes. If you walk on the path to the left of the jetty, beware! An enormous spider builds its web right across the path!

To sum up, there was not enough to do; the eating arrangements were far from ideal; and, to me, 'luxury' includes air conditioning, but NOT paper napkins! Not worth the money.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank williamsaway

Been to Bloomfield Lodge? Share your experiences!