Bloomfield Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Cow Bay Hotel(Cow Bay)(Great Value!)
$93
  • Breakfast included
Daintree Rainforest Retreat(Cow Bay)(Great Value!)
$100
$366
$354
Travelocity
  • Pool
Club Tropical Resort(Port Douglas)
$114
Saltwater Luxury Apartments(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$400
$361
TripAdvisor
Mantra On The Inlet(Port Douglas)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 10, 2008

We were picked up by Bloomfield's bus driver from our hotel in Cairns and taken to the airport. As we were flying on a light aircraft we were weighed, as were our bags - 7kg is all we were allowed!

We were taken to a special waiting area where we were offered tea, coffee & biscuits. Before long the pilot was in front of us running through the safety procedures and we were taken to the plane where each group had their photo taken before boarding.

The plane was a 12 seater Caravan, we were all lucky to be able to fit up the aisle it was so small! The views during the flight were spectacular, I had the camera running hot the whole way.

After about 30 minutes the pilot announced it was time to land, I looked up ahead and thought it was strange when I saw a mountain. I turned to the left a bit and realised that the grass paddock below was where we were going to land! The landing was amazingly smooth to what I expected landing in a paddock would be like.

After departing the plane, as a safety measure we had to wait for it to leave before we climbed on to a small bus driven by Ryan, one of the hosts, to make our way to Bloomfield. 15 minutes on a gravel road and we were at the river where we all clambered into a flat bottomed motorboat which would transport us to our secluded haven, Bloomfield.

Two minutes into our trip and we saw our first in the wild croc, basking in the sun on the edge of the riverbank. We motored out the mouth of the river and out to sea a little as the tide was right out and the sandbars exposed. The seaspray hit us as we skipped across the waves heading toward Bloomfield.

After 10 minutes of travel we arrived at the jetty where a tractor backed into the sea, hitched the boat on and towed us to dry land so we didn't get our feet wet. It was an amazing thing to experience.

We were then greeted by Ali, Ryan's wife, and guided up to our accommodation in the treetops. We walked 4 flights of stairs, where we came to a stunning bar, dining and pool area - I knew then this was going to be total heaven.

Ali offered everyone a drink and explained how Bloomfield worked. We were then shown to our beautiful rooms complete with balcony, bed with princess nets and a the local Golden Orb spider just outside our shower window - she was beautiful. There were no phones, no computers - I thought I would go mad but amazingly I didn't miss them at all.

The next few days were filled with total relaxation, divine food and drink, basking in the sun, spas and great girly time. We went on a croc hunting expedition one day which was fantastic, got quite up close to some of the crocs and Jamie, our guide, was a crackup. A real north QLDer!

On one of the days the wild ones did a rainforest walk, which was really interesting, while the princesses booked in for a massage.

Each night just before dusk we grabbed a bottle of champagne and wandered down to the jetty to watch the sunset and did a spot of fishing. We caught a few puffer fish, a few crabs, who never quite made it to the jetty, and a Bream.

The wildlife at night was amazing, we even had a shy gecko come out in our room every night. The green tree frogs are adorable.

The food at Bloomfield is to die for, you'll never be hungry and you'll want to take the chefs home with you!

The hosts and staff are absolutely wonderful.

After 3 nights at Bloomfield I didn't want to leave, it really was heaven.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank AustralianClassychic
Reviewed March 9, 2008

The journey from Cairns to Bloomfield was fun - a very small plane, 4WD and boat. We had booked the cheapest room, Rainforest View, but seemed to be upgraded, to a pleasant, largish cabin with a lovely terrace and super views.

NB: The resort is built on a very steep site, with many steps; I have some breathing problems and was not aware of this before I booked, or I may have thought twice. For this reason, we didn't go on the walk, as we were told by other guests that it was tough going. We did, however, go twice on the boat trip, which was very good with informative guides and we were lucky to see crocodiles on the first trip. These were the only free activities, other than fishing from the jetty, splashing in the small pool and eating! Any other off-site activities cost a small fortune.

We were not the only people who were misled by mentions of 'free laundry'; all this meant, was free use of machines. Very disappointing.

We were also concerned to find that communal dining was expected at all meals, though we were told we could request a table for two. I think this would have been embarrassing, though. Also, there was no choice of food, just a set menu. The food was good, but not wonderful.

We tried, on several occasions, to find our way to the path to the beach. A signpost would have been helpful. Mosquitoes were a a problem, but there were some super., huge, butterflies and other insects, and snakes. If you walk on the path to the left of the jetty, beware! An enormous spider builds its web right across the path!

To sum up, there was not enough to do; the eating arrangements were far from ideal; and, to me, 'luxury' includes air conditioning, but NOT paper napkins! Not worth the money.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank williamsaway
Reviewed November 30, 2007

Bloomfield
First Morning picked up from the hotel in Cairns and taken to the airfield for the flight to Bloomfield. 30 minute flight along the coast in a small Cessna. Sat in the “co-pilot” seat makes this an extra great trip. Views of the coast, the islands, Daintree rainforest….beautiful. Landed in a field and then a 4WD trip followed by a boat across the Bloomfield river to arrive at Bloomfield Lodge – What a great trip!
Everything gives a wonderful, instant, impression – an impression though that lasts, the setting, the welcome, the location, the staff, the facilities, the views….Paradise.
After a quick scout around, which confirms our highest expectations, we have lunch – the first of many great meals. My (unannounced) intolerance of wheat is handled brilliantly – as with everything – nothing is too much trouble.
We take a 2 ½hr walk over the ridge to a beach – steep, hot but great) – We swim, Nancy does this reluctantly (Sharks, Crocs, Jellyfish – all persuasive arguments not too but the location and time of year meant it OK). On the trek back come across some wild boar in the forest (they ended up being more scared of us than we were of them)
Champagne & Spa – a great way to relax!
Marvellous dinner – Moreton Bay bugs (turned out to be like Crayfish), prawns, Oysters – and that was just the starter. Rump steak, Red Emperor fish – all fresh and wonderful.
To sleep with the wonderful sounds of the rainforest.
Breakfast of freshly caught Reef Trout – what a way to start the day. The muffin, avocado, smoked salmon, tomato & lemon butter breakfast has since become our norm at home – one to remember the place.
Up the river on a flatboat – our guide, Shane, had the knowledge of the surroundings and empathy for the plight of the local aborigines, proved a great guide today (and the next day). A 7ft Croc sunbathing was the highlight of the trip.
The guided forest walk highlighted a lot of the things you miss when you walk on your own. Nancy missed the walk and instead opted for a massage – which she still hasn’t stopped talking about.
More relaxing, walking, beaches, food…a great place.
Final day was out on the 60ft ketch “Big Mama” to Hope Island – What a day (to cap a load of great days). 90 minutes to get there (no wind so engine). 2 isolated “desert” islands. Snorkel practise, a “wow” picnic, then out on the dingy to drift snorkelling down the reef – Greeted first though by a 12ft Tiger shark. Nancy needed a lot of persuading to go in, but eventually did (still doesn’t believe she did). It was worth it - Coral, fish, turtles, shell fish – and Nancy only had a small sting. A knee graze for me that proved Coral cuts do go septic. Sailed back, in the sun. Shane, the guide, cannot be too highly recommended. For dinner some Spanish mackerel that others, who didn’t snorkel, had caught whilst fishing. Breakfast from the same 14lb fish. Shattered – bed early after a great meal. Then it’s over – back to Cairns.
Boat, 4WD, small(er) plane with sightseeing detours. Better than the trip out.
Bloomfield was magnificent - the highlight of a great holiday.

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank muffaletta
Reviewed November 27, 2007

Bloomfield should be on the itinerary of each and every traveller visiting Australia. It is simply sensational! We stayed there in early November for 3 nights - a big thank you to the managers Courtney and Ben and all the staff who looked after us so well. I was really stressed out from work and this was the first place where I felt myself completely relax. The food is just out of this world! Every day the freshest ingredients were used which is quite amazing given the remoteness of the place. It really is beyond me how someone could not love this place - it feels more like an exlusive club then a resort. The honesty bar works really well although I did feel a bit strange at first helping myself to drinks from behind the bar! As for the cost I really don't think it's expensive for what you get. I travel loads and stay at many just as expensive places but I have never experienced such an exceptional service. This was the higlight of our trip to Australia and if you stay here you will understand why.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Bambulka
Reviewed October 3, 2007

Ok, first things first, this is not a cheap place to stay, but then again you know that before so don't complain!

1) Getting there - an adventure in itself. We flew up in a private place and this in iteself was brilliant, landing at a small airstrip. A short ride in a minibus to the little jetty and then off down the Bloomfield river and across Weary Bay and presto...brilliant. Yes I got a bit wet from the spray on the boat but so what, part of the adventure.

2) Accomodation - we booked a honeymoon cottage and these were the furthest from the bar area but offered the best views, the rooms were well appointed, spotlessly clean and beautiful just to look at. Did I mention the views? Spectacular.

3) Food/Drink - I'm a picky eater at the best of times but the food was brilliant despite it being a set menu every day. There were many first for me here, oysters, tuna fish steak, morton bay bugs and loads more! The bar is well stocked and works on an honour system (you settle up at the end of your stay!)

4) Activities - we did the usual complintary trips of the rainforest walk (I wouldn't recommend it if your are not reasonably fit) and the river trip (absolutley brilliant and the guy driving the boat was a nutter!) and we even got to see some "salties". We also did the Big Mama trip to the Hope Isles, expensive but so worth it.

The bar area always had someone there but don't expect it to rage into the night, most people had retired long before midnight when we were there.

My wife also partook of the spa treatments and to this day raves about them!

The hammock on the beach was a favourite of mine, the pier is also a nice spot to chill and the walk out to Wongabadja is worth it if just to spot sea turtles alone!

I cannot emphasise how great this place is, yes it cost me a quarter of my total honeymoon costs but it was worth every single penny and is money I wouldn't hesitate to spend again (in fact I'm already planning my return!)

• Stayed: September 2004