“Snobfest Abounds....”

Ranked #14 of 208 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
“Snobfest Abounds....”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Do you like paying 2x the price for wines such as Cakebread and other "new-USA overrated" wines? Then this is your place. Do you enjoy paying 2x the price for cheese which is similar in quality to Boarshead? Then this is your place. Do you like to be around pretty snobby customers whom can't open their mouths to utter "excuse me" when practically knocking other patrons out of the way? then this is your place. Like the restaurant next door.. there is not much more of an overrated place. Their wines are very expensive. Are you into Napa Valley vs France/Italian wines? Then this is your place as well. And that's ok.. if you want good wines from producers that aren't "American" (like my favs, Guigal, Chave, Perrin) go elsewhere. We avoid this place like the plague. Having been here 5 or 6 times in the last 10 years, it always amazes us how snobby the clientele are, and how apathetic the staff are working onsite. I would surmise if someone were to die outside, on the sidewalk, patrons would sigh and complain about having to "step over the dead person outside.." really snobby place. What's funniest to me is this is Chesterfield.... you're not talking about people with a lot of money that patronize this place, necessarily.. just a lot of people in debt to their eyeballs.. I can't stand this place or many of the people that walk through its doors (I guess I'm the snob, now, sorry). Average cheeses, meats, good wines, but VERY HIGH prices.. And you won't find GOOD wines here.. you'll find typical Napa garbage cabernets from Cakebread and other overrated (at least overpriced) producers in CA.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank blah114

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great place - cashiers need to go!”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Cashiers have an attitude and are not hospitable. I buy from this place about 2 times a month. Serving staff behind the deli and meat counters are fantastic.

Visited April 2013
Philadelphia
“Pricey but tasty”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Gourmet market attached to Annie Gunn's is perfect for that get-away gourmet picnic. Short drive from "wine country" in Augusta, and it has everything you need to pack a delicious al fresco meal. Things are pricey, but excellent. Take home some bacon for later.

Visited April 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“One of the best things about living in St. Louis!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I am a native of St. Louis. When you come to St. Louis there are certain things you have to do certain experiences you must have.

A visit to the world famous STL Zoo
Going to the Arch
Having frozen custard at Ted Drew's

The Smoke House Market is one of those types of experiences. The food is always outstanding the people in the market are very friendly. Try the samples they have out or feel free to request a sample of anything you're contemplating. I tell all of our visitors and friend who have not been there - you can't go wrong with anything that you order or buy it is all good!

Not a single week goes by that I don't go to the Smoke House. I don't often get to their restaurant
Annie Gunn's but I can assure you it is excellent; Certainly considered amongst one of the best in all St. Louis.

Keep in mind that the only seating for the market is outdoors. However, if your like me this won't stop you. Carry it out, take it home or eat it in the car. It's all delicious!

• Visited April 2013
St. Louis, MO
“Excellent lunch and fun specialty market”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Smoke House has great daily hot lunch specials as well as prepared when you order salads and sandwiches. I love their chicken parmigiana on Tuesdays I love the samples they have throughout the store of their dips, cheeses, sausages, etc... I love the visual display of the market. Can you tell I like it? I could go here everyday for lunch and not get bored. They have a wonderful outdoor seating area so if the weather is nice pickup your food in the market and eat outside at the tables. You will not be disappointed.

Visited March 2013

Been to Smoke House Market? Share your experiences!