“Very Disappointing Experience”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
St. Louis, MO
“Very Disappointing Experience”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We had heard good things about this restaurant from friends and family, so we thought we would give it a try for carry-out. I like to support local, family-owned businesses, but sadly must give this restaurant a sub-par review based on our experience.

The pot stickers tasted more like pastries-- the dumpling, filling, and sauce were all extremely sweet with a strong ginger taste. The Empress Beef was described on the menu as a "spicy" dish, but was far more sweet than spicy, containing no detectable heat--but once again, lots of sugar and ginger. And the Hot and Sour soup was neither hot nor sour. Not to sound like a broken record, but the soup was overwhelmingly sweet.

We will need to look elsewhere next time.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank StephSTL

St. Louis Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Who doesn't want business?”
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Given the fact that everyone loves cheap chinese, we have eaten at Hunan Empress several times. Our last visit will be our last. Our order was wrong and the owner only wanted to argue over and over again saying the same thing. Was the $7.00 really worth losing loyal customers? We will be going to Summer Palace across the street from now on. Who wants to give their hard earned money to a place who doesn't care one way or the other if you are a satisfied customer?

1 Thank papercup05
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Sweet and sour chicken is the best”
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Sweet and sour chicken is the best

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
St. Charles
“My favorite Chinese restaurant”
Reviewed November 26, 2007

This restaurant is right down the street from my office. The food is fabulous. Whenever I want Chinese food, this is were I head. The owner always calls me as the "tax lady" and always remembers what I order. The service is always good, and they are willing to make any alterations I ask. I order their chicken wings when I have a party at my house, they are the best ever! I just wish they would remodel, the restaurant is starting to show it's age. You will not be disappointed.

st. louis
“Greatest chinese food period!”
Reviewed June 2, 2007

My fiance and i eat here as often as we can! Everything we have tried has been outstanding and the prices are unbeatable. Dont miss an opportunity to reward you taste buds.