“Very tasty lunch”

Balaban's Wine Cellar and Tapas Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Balaban's Wine Cellar and Tapas Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #133 of 208 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My wife and I stopped by here for lunch. We had eaten at the old Balaban in the CWE and enjoyed it. We had a cheese plate, soup and entrees. The bean and kale soup was outstanding. I could have easily made a meal of it. My wife had a veal stock braised beef sandwich which she praised highly adn I had lobster ravioli. No room for dessert. We didn't have wine but the choices were very nice. The ambiance is like eating next to a wine shop. No really fancy but very pleasant. We will be back to try dinner some time

There are newer reviews for Balaban's Wine Cellar and Tapas Bar

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

This is the first time I've had an opportunity to try balaban's since they moved to chesterfield from the Central West End. It has a different, more upscale suburban vibe than the former urban style when it was in the city. I found the emphasis on wine flights and tapas unique and inviting m, but I decided for a full surf and turf entree. First, the 3 bean soup was excellent with ample spiciness. The crab cake could have used a bit more spice as it was a bit bland. the accompanying steak was outstanding. It was grilled to perfection and was tender enough to melt in your mouth. I would highly recommend the apple bloom, basically a small a la mode
apple pie. To die for. There is an impressive wine list. Service was attentive without being intrusive.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Did the tasting menu on New Years here, overall it was average. Many of the different tastings on the same course, look very similar as they are dressed the same. Service was terrible - our waitress spent most of her time at the kitchen pick up area instead of attending to drinks. Not cheap either. Won't go back, when its over$200/per couple with below average service and just above average food.

1  Thank 40and4real
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ate here on a whim and it was EXCELLENT! The waitress was on top of things. The host was very informative. The chef created magnificent food. We will be back!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Balaban's is a bistro and wine store all combined. The food is excellent both for lunch and dinner. And, since they are a wine store as well, "corkage" for what you drink there is very cheap. I had the special soup (pulled pork and grains) and the paella. My wife had the hearts of palm salad, one of her favorites. Drank AtoZ Pinot Noir, light and refreshing. Really had a nice dinner.