“Business traveler who was always satisfied”

Homewood Suites St. Louis Chesterfield
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Chesterfield
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I have stayed at this property many times over the years while visiting a nearby client. My last trip was nearly two years ago, so take this with a grain of salt, but I was always happy with my experiences there. The rooms are spacious and well-maintained. The complimentary breakfast and evening "manager's hour" were always worthwhile. I never tried the pool but it seemed to be a hit with families. The staff were excellent, and I was always satisfied.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed October 28, 2008

Overall, the property was decent, but there were a few issues. Arrived on a Sunday night and couldn't get web access to work. Discovered no power supply for the router. Reported it to the front desk, but they said it couldn't be fixed until maintenance came the next day. It was fixed (with a new power supply) the next morning.

From previous posts, it appears the alarm system has some problems. Fire alarm went off twice after 10 p.m. Fire trucks came, but it appeared to be a malfunction.Still, it was enough to overwhelm the front desk with calls. The night manager, working alone, did an admirable job fielding the calls while working with the firemen to get the alarm reset.

Rooms were nice, with flat panel TVs in both parlor and bedroom. Kitchen facilities were handy, with good size fridge. Housekeeping was spotty; found an empty beer bottle next to a chair from (I'm assuming) the previous guest.

Breakfast buffet was good and the staff kept it stocked, which was a challenge from 7 to 8, when the dining area was full. Also offered a dinner buffet, with hamburgers (beef and -pleasant surprise - turkey burgers) and salad bar, as well as beer and wine. Dinner menu changes each day and is a nice change of pace instead of going out to a restaurant.

I've always liked Homewood Suites and out of the ones I've stayed in, this one is about middle of the pack, quality wise. Booked it online from Hilton site and saved $20/night by prepaying.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2008

It has been a long time since any review for this hotel was posted, but the deficiencies seem to have multiplied.

We had problems in the room with the shower (fixed) and air conditioner (not fixed, and ultimately stopped working). With no air conditioning on a hot August St Louis night, our sleep was further challenged by the smoke alarm, whose battery began beeping in the middle of the night. Had to get on a chair and remove the battery,

This chain makes much of its breakfast buffet, but the two mornings we were there, it was as though it was the first time any guest had ever eaten breakfast at the facility. The staff was totally overwhelmed at breakfast time, with shortages of plates, silverware, all food items and, eventually, good will. One staff member snapped that guests were to blame for the lack of clean plates: "The guests just leave the plates on the tables." Indeed, there was no alternative. No one cleared or cleaned any of the tables, nor washed any of the plates that stacked up. We had to get hot water in a styrofoam cup (mugs also ran out), dip some napkins and scrub in order to remove gobs of hardened sticky syrup from the breakfast table so we could eat.

The Hilton chain advertises that they will not charge for the room if anything is wrong, and we didn't even have to ask for the room to be comp'ed when we mentioned some of the problems. One of the two nights was free. Most of the staff was friendly and the engineer quickly responded to our shower and air con complaints. But the whole operation would benefit from more supervision, more preventive maintenance and an ability to anticipate -- based on how many guests stay overnight -- how many to expect for breakfast!

By national standards, the rate is low and the rooms well-equipped. However, It is not an experience we are eager to repeat.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed January 3, 2008

We needed a suite so we could have a door between us and our son (he won't go to sleep if he can see us - made that mistake last year). The Homewood was 20 min out of our way, but half the price of other suites ($72/night for King Suite, prepaid).

We were impressed with the spacious rooms (each with TV), mini kitchen, full-sized fridge, decent hot continental breakfast. Only a couple of nitpicks - tub could stand to be recaulked soon, one bedside light didn't work, kitchen had sink and dishwasher but no soap for either. But overall we were very pleased. And this year, after we put our son to bed, we could relax in our room while reading and watching TV instead of hiding in the bathroom until he fell asleep.

WARNING: they're closing highway 40/64 from Ballas to I-70 for TWO YEARS. The Homewood is right off 40/64 (a couple exits west of the closure). Don't stay there and expect to zip downtown.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2007

Very friendly hotel staff, but couldn't give simple directions to find Homewood from freeway. Had to ask for HiltonHonors benefit that is normally automatically given (cookie, bottled water, for instance); staff said that only the top-tier HiltonHonors travellers get goodies - totally inconsistent with a half-dozen other locations I've stayed at.

Beds and pillows are worn out and uncomfortable. The general manager did say that the property will soon get a total renovation. Breakfast offerings were not as varied or as nice as other Homewood locations. A/C is very noisy in rooms. The rooms have high ceilings which add to the spacious feel. Somehow, our non-smoking room was getting cigarette smoke odors in the bathroom through the ventilation system. Coffee makers in room, but no silverware or stir sticks were provided to stir the coffee.

Although very convenient to highway, the hotel is in a quiet area and there is no road noise in the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I had some initial booking problems and ended up emailing the hotel's headquarters. I still ended up getting a handicapped room, but oh well, right? The location was okay, first floor, right by the check in desk, but we were right by an exit door, and that door slammed shut all hours day and night and shook the walls in our room.

Because it was a handicapped room, the bathroom was obviously set up for a wheel chair, no biggie since we don't take baths in hotel rooms anyway, but the tile shower really left something to be desired. The tiles were falling off all over the place and the whole bathroom floor flooded when you took a shower. The fan must not have worked right either, so another person couldn't use the mirror when you took a shower. It is always nice when there is a vanity outside the bathroom.

The kitchen set up is nice, although there were no pans and pots to cook in. why have a stove then? We also didn't have an ice bucket and only could find one ice machine anyway in the whole hotel that didn't work after one bowel full. The fridge is always great to have in a hotel room.

The breakfast buffet is the reason we chose this. It is one of the best we have been to and it is FREE. Well not free, of course, but included in the room price. BTW, taxes on these rooms is something like 13% so be aware of that. They could however, change the buffet every couple of days. We were there three nights, and it was the same hot food, scrambled eggs, sausage and potatoes. They did have two waffle machines, fruit, yougurt, cereals, breads, etc, so there should be something for everyone.

The pool's condition is why I can't say I love this place. It really leaves something to be desired. The first morning I was there, there was a large peice of railing laying around and older kids were playing with it. I pointed it out to a maid, who said she would have maintenance come out and they never did. Once those kids got out, and the pool was empty, I went and talked to a manager, asking if something could be done with the condition of the pool. It was absolutely disgusting. I realize with as many kids that go into the pool, and 100' weather, it is difficult to keep up with the cleanliness, but this was something else. There was so much stuff, dirt, leaves, hair, etc. floating in the pool, I ended up sweeping it out myself several times. Perhaps the filter wasn't working. They really need to close the pool for a full day and shock it, and scrub and filter the heck out of it. But, if they had don't that while I was there, I would have moved hotels as we spend alot of time in the pool. They just need to spend more time and effort keeping up with it. I know pools can get dirty but tthis really was something else. I watched the guy clean it, and he threw a pitcher full of shock into the pool and then some chlorine tabs in the water inlets. That is not nearly enough for a pool that size. Also, bring your own pool towels, as the ones they have are hand towels, not pool towels, if you can even find some.

We go to St. Louis every year, same time and have stayed here the last several years, but I will probably go somewhere else next year because of the pool's condition.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank kel3420
Reviewed July 1, 2007

This was definitely not a typical Homewood Suites. We have stayed at Homewoods all over the country and this one was by far the worse. The quality of the housekeeping was very inconsistent. We stayed for 5 nights and the first day my room was cleaned very nice. The second day my room was not serviced at all, and the third and fourth days the service was below acceptable (beds were made and a pile of frest towels on shelf, but that was it, no coffee or shampoo/condition, etc...). Our rooms did not even have a single pot or pan (defeats the purpose of having a stove top). The hotel as a whole was not what I considered to be clean and fresh. The same pile of dirt stayed on the stairs during my entire stay. The worse part of all was they this Homewood did not have the nice comfy beds we are use to having at the Homewoods. I would not recommend this hotel if you are use to staying at Homewoods, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2007