“Have stayed in better”

Homewood Suites St. Louis Chesterfield
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Chesterfield
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Overall, I would rate this as a positive experience.

First, the positives...
We had 3 adults and 3 children with us, and had rented the 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite. The room included a King size bed in one room, a pullout sofabed in the "living" room, and 2 doubles in the 2nd bedroom. There was a lot of space and 3 TV's. The mini kitchen also included a refrigerator/freezer, sink, and 2 burner stove, had we needed that.

Another positive was the included food for breakfast and the welcome home dinner. The staff actually seemed like they cared about making this a pleasurable experience for all the guests and the food quality was above average for this type of food.

The location of this hotel is also in what seems to be a very safe and clean neighborhood of chesterfield. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping close by, as well as many major businesses and a large mall. The downtown area of St. Louis is an easy 20 minute commute by interstate (if there's no traffic). Other major attractions are easily reached within 15-20 minutes as well.

The workout room was okay. The room was very small and contained two treadmills and an elliptical machine. All were very high quality with their own tv's. There were no weights or weight machines but rather "medicine" balls of various weights from 2 to 10 lbs.

The Negatives...
My number one complaint was the smell of smoke seeping into our Non-Smoking room. I'm not sure if it was coming through ventilation or just seeping through walls, but every night the very distinct odor of cigarette smoke came creeping into our room. Then again every morning it would also start smelling again.

The room and the hotel itself is starting to look a bit dated and worn. The room was not the cleanest I've ever stayed in with several random stains on the wall, ceiling, and carpet. Don't get me wrong, the overall feeling was of a clean room, but for some reason it just felt a little bit grimy and worn. For example, in the bathroom, a panel for the under sink access was just hastily screwed back on and crooked. The ceiling fan looked as if it had never been cleaned since installed. And a large stain and patch job on the ceiling by the air conditioning unit was also a turnoff. I think a big part of it had to do with the lighting, which seemed inadequate in the very tall ceiling rooms.

As our room was at the very back of the hotel, we would park back there and enter through the rear door. The hallway leading to the rear entry smelled like rotten food as I think this is where they temporarily stored trash in a larger bin until it was taken out to the trash can. Also, the parking lot and sidewalk were temporary storage areas for ole a/c units, which l can honestly say I wish I would have never seen the inside of as they all looked like black mold factories!

No wi-fi in our room.

OVERALL/TLDR

I found this experience average. I would probably try a different hotel next time, but I would not rule out this one if the price was right or the number of people required it again. The staff was friendly and the rooms average--dated and not the cleanest. The pool and included breakfast/dinner were nice touches.

Room Tip: If you want non-smoking, be sure to ask for a room that is furthest away from all the other smoking...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
HWSChesterfield, General Manager at Homewood Suites St. Louis Chesterfield, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Dear Jmolleru,

Thank you for both your positive and negative feedback on your recent stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests - including areas of improvement. I sincerely apologize that your stay wasn’t the full quality you expected and deserved. I understand guest room presentation, especially smell was a concern. I will address your concern with our Housekeeping staff to ensure we are actively taking steps to freshen our guestrooms as well as common areas. Thank you for bringing these items to my attention and I hope you will consider staying with us the next time you travel to St. Louis.

Regards,

Elliott Rhoad

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We did a mini trip to St. Louis and had a wonderful time. Downtown St. Louis was quite pricy so we found a location a little outside town - Homewood suites was wonderful. The room was very clean - which is a MUST with me! The staff very helpful. The AC in my first room was broken - the staff came right up, walked to a new room to ensure the AC was working in that room - very nice. The manager over the breakfast buffett was a bit overwhelmed and kept running out of stuff - but hey, it's free -- I'm not complaining. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This hotel was remodeled 2 years ago but does not look like it. Our room was reasonably clean except for a few carpet stains. The hallways were not very clean. We were first given a first floor room but that turned out to be a mistake. There were 4 windows but only 1 that had locks. It would have been easy to enter the room thru 3 of these windows. We did not like that and called the front desk. They first suggested they would send a maintenance man and we waited about 10 minutes then called the front desk again and asked for a room on an upper floor. They were more than happy to move us and the front desk personnel were friendly and cooperative.

The breakfst and manager's reception were quite typical. I find no fault there. I
recommend you request a room on the upper floors. I would stay again. It is a good value.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floors
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed here when visiting our old hometown. The property was a little hard to find--they need a bigger sign.
Check in was a breeze and our room was in great shape. We had a king in one room and sleeper sofa in the family room. There were ceiling fans and opening windows in each room. The kitchen was small but appeared functional. The refrigerator had a schedule posted of events and dinners offered on weeknights.
The bathroom was large and in great shape.
Breakfast was one of the best I have ever had at a hotel. I still remember the chocolate scones!
The public areas were nice and roomy.
We were very glad we chose this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Stayed here for two nights recently while visiting family nearby. The hotel is in a great location - not far off the highway, but quiet and without the commercial sprawl often found near some smaller hotels. I am a Diamond HHonors member, but that was not recognized at check-in and I received neither a room upgrade nor free bottled water as hoped. Honestly not that big a deal at a focused-service hotel like this. They did a good job with the free breakfast buffet both mornings. The hotel was busy, and management kept the food well-stocked. The unfortunate part of the stay was sub-par housekeeping. The coffeepot was not rinsed out after use our first morning, the bed was sloppily remade (so everything came untucked while we were sleeping), and the shower curtain was moldy (yuck). I would probably stay there again, because the location was so perfect for us, but I would complain while I was there if I had a service problem.

Room Tip: Best deal: NetDirect prepaid non-refundable rates.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank RunawayBoomer
HWSChesterfield, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites St. Louis Chesterfield, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. We apologize for the quality of housekeeping during your stay and that we were not able to provide you with the service you deserve. Because travel is very important, we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. I will address the issues with our staff to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

Reviewed June 19, 2011

Our family of four (two children, 5 and 7) traveled with another family of four (two children 6 and 10) for a three-night stay in the St. Louis area. One family need to use Hilton points and the other needed an economical stay near friends in the St. Louis suburbs as well as city attractions. We've stayed at Homewood Suites in other cities, and this was a similar experience. Free breakfast, the ability to make our lunches for the day in the kitchen, and the ability to put the kids to bed without heading to bed ourselves make this one of our go-to types of hotel when we travel.

The room was clean and comfortable if a bit dated in some respects. The outdoor pool was small, but just what the kids needed after a hot day.

A definite high was the service, which was really wonderful. From the front desk to the housekeepers, our party commented several times on how friendly everyone was!

A low is the fact that the only wi-fi was in the common areas. Free wi-fi in the rooms seems a small but important amenity of a hotel in this class.

We plan to make this at least an annual trip now that friends have moved to the area. We expect to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Friendly staff all the way around, upholding the Hilton standard of excellence. Convenient to Saint Louis and I-64 and I-44. Nice breakfast and light dinner. Two room suites with free internet, full fridge, stove, etc. Typical Homewood Suites, nice as always. Outdoor pool, fitness, free pass to nearby YMCA. Classy.

Room Tip: Mon-Thurs free light dinner
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business