“Been to better Best Westerns...don't be fooled by the Precious Moments label”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Carthage
Reviewed January 9, 2010

I've stayed at many Best Westerns before and they were average, decent hotels that satisfied my short stays, but I expected more from this "Precious Moments" Best Western. Seeing that it was the first hotel recommended on the Precious Moments website and actually being labeled "Precious Moments," I expected it to be cute, updated, and decorated with Sam Butcher's creations.

As soon as we entered the lobby, we were hit with a strong smell of paint fumes. They were in the middle of renovating the pool area (floors, walls, pool itself) and the wide door that separated the lobby and the pool area was open but curtained off with plastic. The fumes permeated through the whole lobby and corridors. The front desk girl assigned us to a room towards the back so the smell would not be so strong, but no, that did not help at all. I had a restless sleep the first night and figured, oh my head must be cold and covered my head with a blanket. After awhile, I took the blanket off and was instantly hit with the paint fumes...hence the headache! Fine that the hotel decides to renovate during off-peak months, but why not give us a warning???? Mention it on the site or send us an email prior to arrival...

The front desk girl nice, however, anything but helpful. You'd think she just moved into town that day. We asked her if there were any Christmas events going on the night we arrived, any type of interesting we can see in / around Carthage - she had nothing to suggest. One of the hotel guests happened to mention a Christmas Light Display at a Vietnamese Memorial that we may like to see - the front desk couldn't even suggest that?? Nor could she tell us that Joplin was pretty close by and had a lot more things to see / do than Carthage could offer?!

The room was clean. The beds were comfortable. Shower was good, new shower heads. Room was too dim, only the bed lamp and the desk lamp was the source of illumination. The room was kinda 1980s. Two frames with Precious Moments character prints. TV was old school. Walls were thin.

We did feel creeped out a few times stay there. The guests next door knocked on our door at 10pm asking "What are yall doing tonight?" We ignored it and he left us alone. We did not report it. Also, probably because it was off season, most of the rooms were unused and furniture was turned upside down. From the outside, the curtains were open of the unused rooms. Mattresses were leaning against the walls, Chairs were on top of desks,etc. Felt like the hotel was deserted with just us two women staying there. Just seemed too creepy.

Good basic necessities for a weekend stay, but I did not enjoy my stay there. Like I said, I thought this room / hotel would be "all that" because of the PM label, so I set my expectations too high... After renovations or during high peak season, I'm sure the hotel will be much nicer that this visit. But for now, I'll have to give this a two-star.

FYI, If you want to eat somewhere else than McDonald's, find a restaurant in Joplin.... The buffet next door has limited selection and what they did have was lukewarm - not even a good, hot meal. :P

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank DonnaBA
bwpreciousmoments, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2010

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western Precious Moments Hotel. I appreciate your taking the time to write and hope you will accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced.

I am disappointed we failed to give you the fine service and consideration we strive for with all our guests – the type of service we pride ourselves in. I have investigated your comments and will take steps to ensure that the problems you experienced do not happen again. My staff will also be made aware of your comments and we will take immediate corrective action.

We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us again after our renovations are complete. I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and happy one as we illustrate that what happened to you was an unfortunate exception to our normally high quality of service.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

Not normally a big fan of Best Western hotels, but this one changed my attitude about the chain--heck, I even signed up for their rewards program! The check-in was great and the desk clerk offered lots of helpful information about the hotel, where to eat, etc. Rooms were comfortable and clean, as was the entire hotel. Location is good, off the main drag, but easy to get to town, highway, etc. Room was quiet and we enjoyed the stay. Only recommendation I would make would be to improve the breakfast offering a little. It was good, but not much in the way of choice--but it was free, so can't complain too much! Nice place to stay in Carthage, MO.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bushlamo
Reviewed June 3, 2009

A very pleasant experience. The rooms were nice and clean. There's a nice little gift shop in the lobby that sells ice cream and other snacks. The fitness center was a little on the small side (just three peices of equipment). I stayed there twice, and the second room I had was much larger than the first and also had a mini-fridge and microwave. All in all, the Best Western Precious Moments Hotel is a very pleasant place to stay at an affordable price.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Traveler4124
Reviewed May 15, 2009

I thought this place was a great deal. The rooms were pretty and very clean and the location was right off of highway 71. My only complaint is that the indoor pool was very dirty on the day we stayed, which grossed out the adults, but my 2 kids could care less.
So our stay was still an enjoyable one. I also wanted to add that the McDonald's nearby is the most nicely decorated one I have ever visited. The walls are painted a nice neutral color and some of the decor is wrought iron.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank bellano
Reviewed May 1, 2009

Hotel looks new, everything looks new, nice clean large rooms. Beds were a little low to the ground, I'm used to taller beds but they were nice. Inside room doors, you have to walk a little to your parking spot. Free breakfast was a little sparse. Precious Moments pictures in rooms and lobby. Everything was nice, but I have had just as good for cheaper, I guess you pay for the Precious Moments name. Looks like a safe area to stay, close to Precious Moments Chapel (a nice free tour).

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We have visited this hotel twice in the last month for several days at a time. The staff has been very nice, the rooms are clean, water pressure is excellent. They also have a washer and dryer available for use. Wifi works great in the lobby, didn't work in the room on our first visit, but did on the 2nd visit. My daughter enjoyed the indoor pool and the free internet in the lobby. They also had a popcorn machine in the lobby during the first visit (broken during the 2nd). We did not bring our pets, but they do have pet rooms available. Breakfast included and is available upstairs from 7-9. Refridgerator / Microwave combo is available for $10.00 per day, we found that to be quite helpful. It's right by 71 Highway, there is a Walmart, Lowes, Gas, Quizno's and McDonalds all within walking distance. We plan at least two more visits within the next month or two.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2008

This place was great. The staff was very friendly. We reserved a crib and this Best Western had fitted crib sheets (unlike the hotels in the Choice Hotel chain which told us fitted crib sheets for the hotel cribs are not made). Best Western had the same exact crib. We asked for extra towels and pillows and the staff brought them right away. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carthage
Econo Lodge
La Quinta Inn & Suites Joplin
11 mi away
Candlewood Suites Joplin Hotel
Best Western The Oasis at Joplin

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!