“Small town BBQ.”

The Pilot House
Cuisines: Barbecue
“Small town BBQ.”
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

It's a small off the beat'n track place. Older building, with small town charm. Nothing high end. Cozy place to have a decent sandwich. Wait staff was really friendly. I will go back to try more food.

• Visited July 2013

Carbondale, Illinois
“It's a Dive with Great Food”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This place would not even make Dinners, Drive inns, & Dives. I always joke it would be on Dives, Dives, & Dives. Yes, people do smoke here and I hate it. All that being said I travel 1 1/2 hours just to eat here. It is cheap, friendly and great food. I love the Tank sandwich. Thin sliced ham, thin prime rib, jalapeños, & swiss cheese, on grilled sourdough bread, YUM. I on the other hand do not like the seasoned fries. The bacon dressing salad is great and big enough to split in my opinion, but I don't eat much. In fact just talking about it has made my decision to go there this week.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Joseph K
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Amazing!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

You MUST resist your urge to turn around and leave when you see this place. Trust me, it will be worth your while. As other reviewers said, it is a 'smoky' tavern, but we were there with a packed house and no one was smoking. I wouldn't have known that it was allowed except for the ashtray at our table. The food is outstanding. Everything we had was great, down to the side salad that came with my meal. On the weekend, they offer steak kabobs "while they last". I chose those and my husband had the ribs. They were HUGE. And the meat fell right off the bone. Both of us had enough food to take home leftovers for dinner. We will definitely go back the next time we are in the area.

• Visited March 2013
Advance
“Smelly”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

IF you smoke then this is the place to eat! The food is ok but its in a tavern. You inhale as much smoke as food. DO NOT GO unless you are a smoker or like to eat in a smelly revolting smoke filled joint!

• Visited December 2012
Cape Girardeau, MO
“Great food in a unexpected atmosphere!”
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

While this place looks like a broke down shack inside and out, it's looks are certainly deceiving! I love the food here. My favorites are the stuffed mushrooms and turkey with Swiss sandwich with seasoned fries, although I have heard everything is great. Definitely a smoky dive, and no place to escape from it during colder months (there is a outside seating are that we opt for in warmer months), but I will deal with it to get the food! Certainly worth checking out if you are looking for something unique and off the beaten path.