“Interesting locals”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2019

We were in town on a stop-through only. We love Cape G as a town, for the history, and because they embrace their historic architecture.
We stayed at an airbnb nearby and tried Cape Port for dinner. We had Doc's ribs and a combo. OMG - so much food! And my husband couldn't help but exclaim after every bite that his sausage was the best! His fish was also good but the sausage - Oh, My! The ribs were really good, too.
We entered through the rear door so we ate in the bar (the Cubs game was on) and stayed for an after-dinner drink at the bar when we finished our meal. We loved the old chairs - they are the old-style WI supper club type of seat with wheels.
Mackenzie was our waitress. Until she was pulled to work the comedy show upstairs. She was lovely and helpful and friendly. Her replacement appeared to be put out by needing to attend to us. Not sure how they split tips or whether she felt she was working for nothing but we've had way better service than she provided.
We also had great service at the bar. And we got a bit of local flavor from a patron (who may have already been over-served when he arrived) who thought it would be a good idea to make political assumptions of a total stranger. So unfortunate - and while not a direct reflection on the establishment, it is an overall reflection on the town.
We stay in Cape G about every 5 or 6 years, for a single night at a time, and there are plenty of other dinner restaurants right in that area (we had a hard time deciding where to go that night) so it is unlikely that we will stop back soon. But we are definitely keeping them in our favorites so that we know we would go back!

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed April 13, 2019 via mobile

Meal was great, had BBQ, mash potatoes, baked beans and tea to drink. If you are in the Cape Girardeau, Mo. take time to check them out.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed April 6, 2019 via mobile

One of my favorite local places. Great if you love BBQ! Smaller place, so go during off times if you prefer more private dining. They also do hand scooped ice cream. You can stop by the window facing the river before heading down inside the wall!

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed March 19, 2019

I have loved this restaurant for years. I don't care for barbecue as a rule but we used to travel 250 miles just to eat here. My husband and I were married on his family farm several years back and Port Cape was where I wanted our reception and we did.
Then it seemed to start to slip for some reason. This past weekend we had to be in Cape Girardeau regarding a family matter and it was suggested we go to Port Cape. I was apprehensive but decided to to give it a try.
So what was the outcome? They have turned it around again and it was everything I would have expected. Well almost, they really should bring back their original smoked salmon appetizer they used to have on their menu. The food was great, the service was spot on in spite of trying to take care of about 30 people with a last minute reservation. Definitely four stars and if they ever bring back that other smoked salmon I'll give them five.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 3, 2019 via mobile

Port Cape is one of my favorite restaurants. They serve the best Bar-B-Q pork and ribs. They also have excellent fried catfish. It is a great place to dine as we as plan events

Date of visit: February 2019