“Absolutely love their delicious barbeque!”

Port Cape Girardeau Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #15 of 144 Restaurants in Cape Girardeau
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
“Absolutely love their delicious barbeque!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Port Cape is a wonderful local restaurant housed in a historic building overlooking the Mississippi River! Can't beat their barbeque and Belaire potatoes!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank tonandjer

Champaign, Illinois
“Good food, slow service”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

During a weekend stay, we struggled to find a non-chain restaurant open on Friday evening. We settled on The Port. It is located in a vintage downtown building with charming décor. It took some time to be seated. The food was good but the wait time for seating, ordering and receiving the food left a lot to be desired.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Adagio_Travelers
Soldotna, Alaska
“Yummmy Barbeque”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I had not been here for some time, but took my Tennessee son-in-law, daughter, and four year old granddaughter here for a late lunch.

We ordered the pork sandwiches, with a variety of sides, and sweet tea. My granddaughter has chicken off the kid's menu.

Having read some recent reviews, I was hoping for the best. Well......My hopes were granted. The food was as great as I remembered, and service excellent with never an empty glass.

My son-in-law told me that I had FINALLY impressed him. He said that was the best barbequed pork he had ever had, and that he was amazed the sweet tea met all his Standards!!

I love the way they make their cole slaw (sweet and sour) and all of our other sides were very good.

The restaurant is located in the bottom of a historic building over a century old with 'rolling floors', probably due to many floods prior to construction of the flood wall. It is happily rustic with lots of good old stuff to look at.

They have a variety things scheduled with a buffet and all you can eat ribs (which are to die for), live music, and other events. As others mentioned, smoking is allowing in the separate barroom, and it can be smelled in the halls and bathrooms, although I could not smell it in the dining area.

They have excellent ice cream choices, which are great to take out across the tracks and through the flood wall gate to watch the boats going up and down the Mississippi. You also get a great view of the "new" bridge, which is truly a work of art.

This all in walking distance of all of old downtown with a large group of antique stores, and other shops and historic sites to explore.

• Visited February 2014
Malden, Missouri
“Good for a date night”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We ate at Port Cape for one of our first dates, but we haven't been back. The food was good and it is reasonably priced, but the service was slow.

• Visited February 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice atmosphere, average food”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Saturday early afternoon on a beautiful day. A bit slow to seat us and the waiter apologized saying that the hostess forgot to notify him of customers. He was very polite but kept forgeting to bring my coffee. Coffee was not bad but as small as the cups were, I could have had three more refills during the time I waited for the first cup. My wife and I split an order of the BBQ nachos which were very good using brisket whereas I usually see pulled chicken or pork. Only two little pieces of fatty brisket that needed set aside. Wife's chef salad was good sized and fresh. I helped some with her salad. I had the apple/walnut/spinach salad. I asked if the onion could be left out, but was told it was chopped with the apples and could not be deleted. Pieces were big enough to separate. Salad was good, just not noteworthy. If we try again, it will be something from the smoked meat part of the menu. Slow service allowed plenty of time to read up on the history of the building and check out the historic photos etc. Train rolled through outside the window and I could hardly hear it. The old brick building is really solid. View outside the ground floor is of the flood wall with its murals. Disadvantage of proximity to the river.

• Visited September 2013