“Where "All You Can Eat" is said with and evil laugh following (MUHAHAHAH!)”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Global Cafe - CLOSED

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Buffet, Seating
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Where "All You Can Eat" is said with and evil laugh following (MUHAHAHAH!)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

I've traveled the world, so when I saw a place touting its global cuisine, excitement ensued. Even better was that it was locally-owned and dingy, really are there any better signs of that precious 'hole-in-wall' restaurant status that we all know to be the rare yet loved find?

The name only justifies this locale because no matter which part of the globe you are from, you would be disappointed with the fare offered.

The service wasn't warm, but even its coolness couldn't compete with that of the food. In fact, at the end of the lackluster buffet was an aptly placed microwave oven. Next to the microwave was another touch which indicated the confidence of the staff in their offering: a peanut butter and jelly station; this was almost too much!

Along with the cold, sloppy food and uncommitted service, came prices on par with decent restaurants. Truly if I had slapped down a couple bucks and gotten that buffet, I would have half-expected and rehashed the old "get what you pay for" cliche. The motto here is you'll pay for what you get, and there is a decent chance you are paying for queasiness in this case.

Visited May 2011

Saint Louis
“Great buffet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

Good lunch buffet providing a mix of asian (including vegetarian) and american food, inexpensive.

Visited December 2011
Carbondale, IL
“Global Cafe is a Gem with Gluten-Free options”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

Global Café was a wonderful find. Reasonable prices, a nice variety of vary flavorful food. The most important thing for us was that my son needs to eat gluten and casein-free meals. We were very pleasantly surprised to find that he could safely have several items on the lunch buffet. But what was so refreshing was the proprietress, who after I expressed my son’s needs, she 1st took me to the buffet to point out what was safe, and then proceeded to make two additional things for him. While she added those to the buffet, he was able to have a very full, tasty and satisfying meal.

I have traveled the country for years as a consultant, and am quite used to eating at “international” restaurants (I RARELY eat “American” when I eat out), and Global Café measured up well. I eat mostly vegetarian as well, and I had plenty of options.

We live in Carbondale, IL, but plan on stopping in whenever we are closer, such as when shopping down that way.

• Visited September 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Excellent lunch value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

The restaurant doesn't look like much on the outside - next to a gas station on a busy street, but definitely glad I stopped in to try it out. First, I love to try new foods but hate to commit to ordering a plate of something I might not like. Their lunch buttet provides a great alternative- plenty of familiar options along with several unique items to try. The dining area is small and basic, but definitely adequate for a quick lunch with a friend. The wait staff was extremely attentive and helpful - I didn't even have to ask for a refill. The owners really seem to appreciate their customers, and I would definitely return.

• Visited June 2010
1 Thank Phenom-mom
Southern Illinois/Western KY
“I travel from Western Kentucky to eat at Global Cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

Belen and the gang have the best lunchtime value, and wonderful attentive service all the time. Their food is second to none, and I'm so glad there is a place like this only 80 miles from home.