“Being updated”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Bridgeton
Delaware, OH
“Being updated”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel is currently being renovated and should be wonderful when completed. I had a remodeled room and was very comfortable. The staff are helpful and efficient. The on-sight restaurant for lunch and dinner is TGI Fridays. I planned ahead and had a gift card. The catering for the banquet i attended was excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BV79
HotelManager09, General Manager at Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thanks for the great review! The renovation is almost complete, and we can't wait to show off our beautiful new hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Du Quoin, Illinois
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Excellent choice for St. Louis flights. Nice remodel... great staff...great upgrades... free park and fly!!!! Our new favorite!!! What a great value and comfy, cozy stay!!! What more can I say.........

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank mommamara
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is undergoing a significant renovation, which wasn't a big problem with the business meeting I was attending. The shuttle driver was totally disconnected to the patrons. He never got out of the van at the airport and at the hotel when we arrived on evening of 10/29. The departure driver was much more accommodating and courteous. Others in the group had to take a taxi to the hotel as the shuttle never arrived after 45 minutes of waiting. Staff was mostly very courteous. Food was average at best. Breakfast buffet was cold and rather unappealing. Rooms were clean and well appointed.

Room Tip: Didn't seem to matter. Rooms were very quiet with no hall or outside noise even close to airpor...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed November 2, 2012

After reading other peer reviews, I will have come to the conclusion that the Crowne Plaza shuttle sucks!! After arriving at the airport around 9:30 AM........(drum roll please) the shuttle finally arrived to pick at approx 11:30!!!!! That's some BS!! Not to mention it was cold!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jacob H
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The hotel is undergoing a significant remodeling but the noise isn't a problem. The free parking is really great when one is gone for a long time. We found the variation in room prices confusing. We went from $ 170--$95. When asked, we got a no answer answer. So better check more than once.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelManager09, General Manager at Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a response. Our rates do vary. When the hotel is slow, we offer discounts and lower rates. And with the renovation that has been going on, there have been times we felt we needed to lower the rate because of the inconvenience to our guests. I hope you came out on the winning side of that!!
Columbia, MO
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Hotel staff was efficient and friendly. Rooms are old and dated but the hotel is in the middle of a remodel, that has its own issues with slow or non working elevators etc. Will consider the hotel again but only after the remodel is completed.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank TravelByLisa
HotelManager09, General Manager at Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review! The remodel is moving along nicely and most of what can be seen by guests will be completed very soon.
Columbus. Ohio
Reviewed October 18, 2012

GETTING THERE: After checking in, we asked for a list of local restaurants. Beware: when you leave this Crowne Plaza [CP], you can only turn south onto Lindbergh Blvd; there’s a large concrete divider between the north and south lanes. We went to dinner, then retraced our route back. Once northbound on Lindbergh, we passed the CP, went over I-70, and saw no place to turn around. Pretty soon, we're driving through a major tunnel under a runway at Lambert International Airport and then across open airport land! Another mile-plus down the road, we found a small break in the concrete barrier. We made an illegal U-turn and got back to the hotel. Frustrating.

ELEVATORS: CP has 3. One was shut down. A second went up-down-up-down several times without stopping in the lobby. A third had no lights showing that it was moving between floors, but it opened a couple times ... each time going down. Frustrating.

I later tried to reach the concierge [8th] floor, which requires an access key. I keyed the top floor. The elevator went to 8, stopped, reversed direction—without opening the doors—and went to the lower level, where it stopped, reversed direction, and went back to 8. It did that 3 times! Creepy ... and frustrating.

ROOM KEYS: My travel companion’s room keys didn’t work, so he had to return to the lobby to get them re-keyed. When I returned from the concierge floor, my room key wouldn't work either. So I went back to the lobby via those elevators. Why not take the stairs since it’s only 1 floor? Because this CP does not have stairs to the lobby. The stairs dump you outside ...and you have to walk around the grounds and re-enter thru the main doors.

I waited in line, got my new room key, and that’s when I learned that at this CP, I needed 1 key for the sleeping room and another to access the concierge floor. No one explained that at check-in.

When I stepped on the elevator, the women who'd checked in ahead of me were trying to get it to work. I pushed 2, and the doors closed. The women were frustrated. They were going to 8 … so I explained that they needed to use the green card they were given, not the white.

"How come nobody told us about this?” one asked. "Good question," I said. "I've just been through the same thing.”

PRIMING THE GUEST: I expect more from a CP. It's a small detail, but just telling priority members, "This key is for concierge access, and this one's for your room; carry both" would've saved several of us a lot of frustration. Ditto if the front desk clerk had given us a heads-up about getting back to the hotel from any of the restaurants to the south [note: I think they ALL were south; the only things we saw north were lots of tarmac and open land...]. Better yet, why not write a note at the top of the restaurant list so that people who don’t know the city can find their way back without driving halfway across Lambert field!

STAIRS: I requested rooms on a low floor for easy access to the lobby and learned, after we were checked in, that there was no stair access to the lobby. What's with that? I asked. The front desk person said it was for security purposes, to protect guests from someone using the stairs to access the guest floors. Huh? Makes no sense since the elevators serve all but the top floor without a room key; anyone could walk in and reach a guest floor.

Many of us who travel a lot prefer stairs to elevators ... they're faster, more reliable, and a lot healthier. So if you're a stairwell person, be aware that the stairs don't go to the lobby.

BANQUET SET-UP: The next day, we were working a meeting with 200 people. The hotel staff had set up the beverage service in the lobby. They put the coffee, decaf, and hot water pots at the back of the table ... and stacked 200 cups and saucers in front of them! If you wanted coffee or tea, you had to reach over a pile six cups high, 3 rows deep, and 10 rows wide! Seriously, now … is this really the level of thought going into CP’s banquet business?

FEDEX DROP SITE: At end of day, we had to FedEx several boxes and get to the airport for a 5:35 pm flight. That morning, someone told us the hotel had FedEx pick-up. So I went to the front desk and verified that, yes, CP is a FedEx pick-up site.

I told my colleague, who was relieved. After the meeting, I found him nearing panic. Turns out Crowne Plaza is only a FedEx pick-up site if you have an account number to pay for the pick-up -- another detail CP forgot to mention! We didn't [our boxes were prepaid]. So we had to find a FedEx facility at 4 pm ... and, of course, the front desk people had no idea where to find one.

Needless to say, this put our stress levels over the top. We arrived at the airport at 5:10. Fortunately, we were flying Southwest [now THERE'S a company that understands customer service] and were put on a later flight to our destination.

Details. Many times they make or break the experience. This CP experience was a comedy of errors. “What next?” we wondered.

To their credit, lots of friendly CP staff were wandering around the hotel the morning of our meeting. But it takes more than a smile and "Hi how are you?" to create a good experience for guests. This CP has a lot to learn about the little things.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank peebs777
Well the good news is that Trip Advisor is a wonderful tool for our guests to let us know if there is anything wrong and it worked very well in this instance. We have a company that maintains our elevators. We weren't aware there was an issue until you posted your review. I was able to share your comments with them and get the elevators repaired immediately, so thank you!

I'm sorry you walked all the way around the building to re-enter after coming down the stairs. When you get to the bottom of the stairs there is another entry door right next to the one you came out of, so you actually only need to be outside for less than 10 seconds. However, I do understand the complaint and certainly sympathize. We are working with the City of Bridgeton to be allowed to change that, but have to get their blessing before doing so.

I know you spoke with our Assistant General Manager about the banquet set up and he changed it as you requested right away, but as to the rest of your experience, I am very disappointed and would be happy to discuss it with you directly. Please feel free to call the hotel and ask for the General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgeton
Marriott St. Louis Airport
Hilton St. Louis Airport
Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Louis Airport
Drury Inn St. Louis Airport
Hilton Garden Inn St Louis Airport

Been to Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport? Share your experiences!