SIGNIFICANT SAFETY ISSUE. NO FIRE ALARM IN HOTEL. Under normal circumstances the service at this hotel is second to none. However, my last stay revealed inadequate emergency response and significant safety issues. Over Veterans Day weekend, the fire alarm at this hotel was disabled. It took the unrelenting questioning by my father-in-law to avert catastrophe (an electrical short which could have become a fire). At 4:30am 12NOV, my father-in-law awoke to the smell of smoke. While searching for the source, the in-room fire alarm briefly sounded. He called the lobby to inform them of the smoke and alarm. It took 15 minutes for the staff to respond by sending a driver to investigate. He and his daughter found the smoke emanating from a light fixture and secured power. After another 15 minutes, my father had to go to the front desk to direct them to contact the fire department. The fire department was never contacted by the hotel, as 45 minutes into the scenario a St. Louis police officer arrived. A significant amount of smoke remained in the room and adjacent hallway. Concerned that evacuation may be necessary, the officer radioed for fire department and additional police support. At least 3 fire trucks and 4 police cars responded. The fire chief stated the batteries to the fire alarm were dead, and the fire alarm was turned off.
Most disturbing was this hotel’s emergency response. The hotel staff had no sense of urgency to smoke, or the fire alarm, or combination thereof. There was no sensitivity to poor maintenance on vital equipment. There was no on site engineer or maintenance staff to respond to mechanical or electrical issues. There was no security guard available to promptly investigate emergencies. External prompting was required to call the proper authorities.
I've sent versions of this review to corporate offices but haven't received a response. I still question the adequacy of Embassy Suite emergency procedures, and caution that their slow response could prove catastrophic.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Embassy Suits St. Louis Airport hotel is located just two miles from Lambert International Airport. Located in Bridgeton, Missouri with easy access to St. Louis. Guests can enjoy two-room suites, complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast, nightly Evening Reception with complimentary drinks and on-site restaurant, Anne Morrow's. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Priceline, Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Louis Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites St. Louis - Airport Hotel Bridgeton
- Embassy Suites Bridgeton
- Bridgeton Embassy Suites
- Embassy Suites By Hilton St. Louis Airport Saint Louis, MO - Bridgeton