“Great fun!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mel's Hard Luck Diner

Mel's Hard Luck Diner
Ranked #16 of 370 Restaurants in Branson
Cuisines: American, Diner, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Home of Branson's original singing servers. A 50s themed diner offering music from the decades of the 50s and 60s and on up to today. A variety of singing styles, pop, rock, showtunes, opera, gospel, country, etc. Food offerings include burgers, sandwiches, great salads, blue plate specials and save room for some of the best and biggest desserts to be found.
“Great fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Soup, chile, cobler and cheese sticks were fine food but nothing compared to our singer/waiter Michael Lee Jones. Very polite, friendly and visited with everyone. Totally wonderful singing from at least five people. Wish we lived nearby so we could go there often. 1000 miles is a bit to travel just for lunch.

• Visited June 2014

Dibble, Oklahoma
“Fun & Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

This place was so fun. Love the 50's decor. Loved the singers while you eat. The food was so good. Came in for lunch and wait wasn't very long. Had burger and fries and if I could have eaten every bite I would have.

• Visited November 2013
wichita falls, texas
“Many time repeat customer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Had lunch last week. Wife and I both had burgers, which were very good. Staff was friendly and singing was great. But we really come for the milkshakes. They are some of the best.

Visited May 2014
Overland Park, Kansas
“Fun but cold!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

The food was good diner food and the experience was fun. Our kids loved it! However, it was freezing! So much so that I had to order hot tea to try to warm up and my son passed on his shake until after we left because he was shivering so much. It was also a bit on the pricey side for hamburgers and french fries ($50 for a family of 4 w/ tip). I gave it 4 stars because of the experience. It wasn't really about the food for us but more about the diner feel and watching all the action of the servers singing.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
kritertracks, Owner at Mel's Hard Luck Diner, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
This is Mel, sorry to hear that the air conditioning system was set too cold in the section of the dining rooms where you were seated. We try to watch that and sometimes have to reseat folks to another part of the diner but if someone does mention it to us at the time, we will check the setting on the thermostats closest to your table. (There are like five systems cooling that building and it sometimes can be challenging to get the temps just rght). I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit otherwise. Thanks, Mel
Arnold, Missouri, United States
“Food was flavorless - tourist spot”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Service was good, so was the singing but all 5 of us were not pleased with our food orders. Maybe come for ice cream?

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
As owner of Mel's Hard Luck Diner, I read all reviews and respond to as many as I can but especially to negative ones like this especially when I feel they are unjustified. I support everyone's right to tell the world how they feel about their visit to a location. However, I WILL NEVER write a negative review on anyone's business without first giving the place a fair chance to address the concern. After all, when I look at my reviews and others, I should wonder if I am correct when HUNDREDS of other reviews are very positive. Rebecca, you did not bring to my attention or my manager's attention that you were dissatified with the food while you were there. That would have been the right thing to do. We would have solved the issues. Others visit and tell us the food is good to great. We choose top quality food items and ingredients. We get up in the morning with a goal of pleasing. When you write negatives like this, you potentially will hurt the business, resulting in job losses. Please, everyone doing reviews. Give the location an opportunity to take care of your issue without posting all this unwarranted and most of the time unjustified negative feedback. We are all human, we do sometimes make mistakes but when we are told about them at the time, we do everything we reasonably can to make it right. Our food is good, it does have great taste, perhaps it was different because you don't normally eat diner food or Ozark food or fifties food, but again, tell management at the time, printing it here is not going to help us see what the issue was at the time. Thanks, Mel

Been to Mel's Hard Luck Diner? Share your experiences!