“Not what I expected!”

Ranked #39 of 384 Restaurants in Branson
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten there before about 8-9 years ago and didn't remember if it was good or not. So I decided to order take out- a chicken sandwich. I should have looked in the box before I paid $8.16 and left. It was soooo tiny! 2 small pieces of wheat bread, 1 lettuce leaf and a scoop of chicken salad. Served with small bag of chips. I was hungry again in an hour! The salad lacked something: salt?pecans? taste?
I doubt I ll ever go there again. Too sad.

There are newer reviews for McFarlain's Family Restaurant

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had 13 people in our group. Service was prompt and friendly. Our waitress was EXCELLENT. Food arrived quickly. Food was okay, nothing wrong with it...regular home style food. Lots of menu choices.

1  Thank Deidra M
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We felt like this was a knock off of Cracker Barrel. I ordered a 1/2 sandwich and cup of soup and the soup lacked flavor. I added salt and it still did nothing to the taste. My husband got ribs and he said they were dry and lacked flavor too. I chose this restaurant b/c there was a coupon on the back of our ticket stub for a free slice of apple pie.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Generous portions at decent prices. And their fried green tomatoes were yummy...great service too! We had dinner there twice.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We pulled into Branson after 7pm and were told by the front desk employee at our hotel that most restaurants close at 8 during the week (We later discovered this was not an across-the-board rule in town). MacFarlain's was just up the road, stayed open till 9:30 and offered a wide variety of food, so we decided to give it a try. We each ordered hot sandwiches--2 BLT's, an open-faced turkey (which came with a side of mashed potatoes and cranberry chutney) and the MacFarlain's special: an open-faced pot roast sandwich, also with a side of mashed potatoes.

Our server was polite and brought our drinks quickly. However, we were fairly certain he was new due to his hesitation regarding the "specialty cornbread" as a freebie with our food. Not a big deal. Our food arrived and the two open-faced sandwiches were lukewarm at best, though the mashed potatoes and cranberry chutney were very tasty. BLT's were also nothing to write home about, so we looked forward to the promised "homemade" desserts. We ordered chocolate cake, lemon meringue pie and cherry pie. Lemon meringue definitely had the best crust, taste and presentation, but cherry, if homemade, was disguised in a store bought crust and flavor (portion was relatively small, as well). Chocolate cake came with ice cream and was generously sized but bland.

All in all, this place would have been reasonably priced for a family of four if we hadn't ordered dessert, but at $50 (with only water to drink) we believe there are better food options for our money.

Been to McFarlain's Family Restaurant? Share your experiences!