“McFarlain's Chicken and Dumplings Lacking”

McFarlain's Family Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 369 Restaurants in Branson
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Little Rock, AR
“McFarlain's Chicken and Dumplings Lacking”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Noon visit found a staff seemingly overwhelmed by a large conference group although the restaurant was not full. I found the response of some of the staff somewhat uncharacteristic considering the large number of bus groups they must attend to. Our waitress was calm and appeared unhurried although she was extremely efficient and welcoming. Our order was delivered accurately and surprisingly quick. I ordered chicken and dumplin's which I understood was a signature dish. What I received was a bowl of some sort of clear gelatinous liquid (I would describe this as a mess, but want to be kind.) with a couple of slivers of chicken and five flour balls about the size of a jack ball floating in it. Oh, yes, I did see a few green peas and small pieces of carrots. Needless to say, the dumplin's were disappointing, but the corn bread was to die for. As we were completing our meal, two entertainers who had set up near by with a bass and a guitar, began to yell at the diners. I thought this was untimely as there were many diners waiting to be seated and I felt the entertainers would encourage some guests to remain at their tables after completing their meal. We usually run when entertainers approach as we enter a restaurant to dine, and we completed our meal to exit and let waiting customers have our table. This experience was totally unlike previous experiences with this property, and will not keep me from returning, but I think the chicken and dumplin's will not be a choice for future meals.

Visited April 2013

Angleton, Texas
“I was disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I really hate writing bad reviews because I know sometimes people have "off" days, but our recent trip to McFarlain's was very bad. I just had to write something. First, they tried to seat us at a table with other people. When we declined, the server seemed upset. Then, the waitress was about as bad as I have ever had. She took forever getting us drinks and never refilled them. She overcharged us on our food. We've come to McFarlain's many times before and had no problems; but after the last trip, we will not be back!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Leah P
“Good Family Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

We try to eat here each time we go to Branson. We've probably eaten here 15 times. Each time, we've been pleased with the service and food. Many different choices make it easy. There's one table that will give its occupants a "little extra fun"!! Check it out.

• Visited March 2013
Sugar Land
“Country Cookin' with a Smile”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We went to Branson last September and randomly walked in here and so glad we did. This is a joint we definitely would stop at again. Aside from the food, we were COMPLETELY impressed with the customer service. They went above and beyond our expectations.

PROS

1. cornbread. BESTwe have ever had. Im not joking. Im very selective with my compliments and a total foodie. We had to order additional pieces because one was not enough. It was scrumptious and a must eat. Im considering writing Food Network about it.

2. pies: MMMMM. we had the sugar free blueberry and the boysenberry. The flavors were fresh and popped in the mouth. I love tartness and the boysenberry rocked my socks off.

3. Chicken skillet: my mom ordered a vegetable and chicken skillet and it was really tasty

4. Fried Green Tomatoes & Fried Greenbeans: the perfect batter, amount of crunch and the veggies were fresh and it was a great appetizer and unique to the area

5. ozark decor and theme, it was an old school style place that had a simple country charm. i really regret not buying their bottled jam and cornbread mix. :(

6. coffee: my parents loved the coffee and kept talking about the rich flavor the next few days of our trip.

CON & THEIR AMAZING RESPONSE TO IT:

I would NOT recommend their burgers because it tasted really bad. The meat had zero flavor and it was raw- ish. I sent it back to cook it more and it still wasnt working so I just asked for them to take it back. I had to spit out my bite. Our waiter sent the manager to check on us. She was very friendly, polite and warm like everybody else we met in the town. She gave us two pieces of pie and coffees on the house. She made up for the burger mishap.

• Visited September 2012
Andover, Kansas
“Quick meal before a show”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in to have a quick meal before our show. We shared a meatloaf plate which was ok but nothing outstanding. The cornbread and pecan pie was the highlight of the meal. Quick service got us to our show on time.

Visited April 2013

Been to McFarlain's Family Restaurant? Share your experiences!