“A nice place to bring a date”

Mitsu Neko Fusion Cuisine and Sushi Bar
Ranked #41 of 389 Restaurants in Branson
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We would like to introduce Mitsu Neko Fusion Cuisine and Sushi Bar to the Branson Community and all sushi lovers. My husband and I have always wanted to have our own restaurant to create a unique, modern and romantic, city-like atmosphere. Roman, the owner and main sushi chef, completed a master’s degree in Japanese Studies. While living in our native country, Roman signed a two-year contract with Japanese magazine, where he wrote twenty seven (27) articles about history, geography, and culture of Japan. At the same time he worked in the Japanese studies department of the Academy of Science and taught Japanese in one of the local Middle schools. Speaking about myself, I completed a master’s degree in Spanish Studies, and am now pursuing second higher education in Market Finance. In 2008, Roman and I had an opportunity to relocate to the United States where we had to start from server’s positions, but soon after were able to become business owners. After almost three years of operating business with a partner, we decided that it was time for us to move on and have our own restaurant. Mitsu Neko is the place where we pursue our own dreams, ideas, and beliefs, and run business with our level of integrity. At Mitsu Neko, we strive to provide the best food quality, using fresh, healthy, and natural ingredients and family-like customer services. We are very thankful that we have a chance to share our passion for food with our supportive local customers and all tourists.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

While I can't join the singing chorus of awesome, I will say that it was a pleasant experience. I realize that is damning with faint praise and I really really want to like Mitsu Neko. The restaurant is obviously a labor of love. What it isn't is what you are expecting of Japanese cuisine. Remove any preconceived notion of what Asian or sushi is and just go for the food. I do intend to go back and give them another try. You have to like them for their friendliness, attentive service, and quality of food.

Mitsu Neko is located in an unlovely strip mall anchored by a store that caters to rednecks. It doesn't look terribly promising from the outside. Step inside and you are transported to a chic dark place that really isn't Branson. It's got a very urban vibe that would make it a great place to take a date.

You'll be greeted by the server, who is also one of the owners. She's a wonderfully bubbly lady who is obviously chuffed that you are there. They take great pride in presenting fresh ingredients with flourish. Presentation is simple, clean, and very elegant. Your awesome date cred just got bumped up a notch.

I ordered hot tea to give myself time to peruse the menu. I was expecting your usual generic green tea, but was served Stash tea. Smiles, not a thing wrong with that. Excellent choice, but it was my first indication that we weren't going to be following a traditional Asian path.

I glanced over the appetizers and was very pleased to see the care they took in noting that their miso soup was MSG free. What a thoughtful choice. The main courses seemed very ambitious and were unfortunately out of my price range. I do look forward to trying them, but I must confess to a bit of sticker shock. I like to be prepared to encounter 30 dollar entrees, rather than having them bushwhack me.

I moved on to the sushi list, the restaurant consensus was one of bliss. Yet I must say I was disappointed at the very limited selection. I have no doubt that what was offered was of the finest quality, however, not having unagi seemed a bit of a misstep. I kept looking and thinking about what was missing rather than what was there.

The sushi menu concentrated on their Asian fusion sushi. I must confess to being a sushi wimp. I like vegetable sushi and unagi. There wasn't a lot of choice for a sushi wimp. The Western half of the fusion seemed to be concerned with an overwhelming desire to put cream cheese in the sushi. I never have made peace with this, it seems sacrilege.

I ordered the edamame, which was served with the usual sea salt and a surprising splash of sesame oil. This dish perfectly sums up my mixed feeling about Mitsu Neko. They took a plebeian standard and gave it a fresh twist. On the one hand, the sesame oil added a depth of smokiness that elevated them to out of the ordinary. On the other literal hand, the oil made it a bit like wrasslin with bbq ribs. Attentive waitress to the rescue. No sooner had I thought "This is going to be an unholy mess", despairing as to the imminent destruction of the one lovely plum paper napkin that accompanied my place setting, then a stack of paper napkins was placed thoughtfully on the table. The edamame were delicious and my hands are rather soft, if sesamey.

I ordered the vegetable sushi and the Pink Sting sushi, as it was the only eel offered on the menu. Pink Sting is...odd. Salmon and eel rub along well, a bit of avocado. And pineapple. With a deft stroke of a strawberry sauce on top. No, I don't know either. People were raving about the restaurant's bold choice to mix fruit and fish. Me, I'm not convinced. I'm going all grumpy cat here: how about no? It was very disconcerting to have this soprano note of sweet buzz sawing through the rich flavors. It wasn't bad. It wasn't awful. It was just...no.

Normally, I like to switch back and forth between my sushi orders. I plowed through Pink Sting like a runner going over hurdles, just to get to the vegetable sushi. Again, kinda sorta vaugely. Not bad. Not awful. Just..sighs. I have no qualm about the quality of their ingredients. Lovely fresh firm vegetables. And asparagus. Imagine the asparagus as the horns on the helmet of a Valkyrie. It dominated the roll. It beat the other hapless vegetables into squeaks of submissive flavor. I was dearly hoping for a hint of Asian exoticism. A bit of preserved gourd or pickled radish to go with the usual cucumber and avocado. I got caps lock asparagus.

I am going to go back. I want this place to succeed. The owners have such a enthusiastic "Gee whiz, let's put on a show kids!" attitude. Don't go with any preconceived notions. Do bring a date. This is about as posh as Branson gets.

4  Thank disgruntled_ewok

Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

This place is the best sushi bar I've ever been too. It's a small corner in the wall that you would miss if u didn't look twice. You walk in to find very generous service and unique interior for being in the middle of branson. The food though is what really puts this place in the number one stop. Never been frozen fish and a unique twist to sushi by adding fresh strawberrys. I recommend the head and tails roll and tuna paradise roll. The best sushi outside of the coast.

1  Thank Kawigreen1909
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were extremely pleased with the restaurant both for the delicious food and the wonderful service from the owners who served as chef and waiter. We started with the miso soup, which was the most tasty, full-bodied we've had in any Japanese restaurant. The sushi was fresh, tasty, and beautifully presented. The chef went out of his way to prepare a very special mackerel sushi and served it on plates shaped like stars. One of us had the tiramisu for dessert and it was outstanding.

We can't end this review without a special word of thanks to the owners for being such a delightful couple. When we walked in, Kate greeted us with a warm friendly smile and we began a conversation which continued throughout the evening as the food was being prepared and enjoyed. Roman came over to the table to bring the special mackerel sushi, which one of us had for "dessert" and he explained how he had prepared such eye-candy. We ended up visiting with them after the meal and felt we had met two new friends.

We have both eaten at many Japanese restaurants over the years, and this is one of the best. We can understand well how it has been rated as the best restaurant in Branson. It was certainly by far the best meal we had during our stay. We definitely will eat here again when we visit Branson again. Outstanding is the best way to describe our experience.

1  Thank Mike T
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This unique restaurant offers a special ambience, delicious food, and exceptional service. We especially enjoyed the tuna paradise and strawberry delight. And the tiramisu was light, fluffy and sensational! Thank you also to Danielle for adding such a personal touch to the evening!

1  Thank RRHoney
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family and i just moved to the area, and a co-worker suggested Mitsu Neko (he earned himself a beer) for my wife's b-day dinner. It has a great relaxed yet professional atmosphere, and a hip modern decor. the sushi was the best we've ever had. We absolutely LOVED the Strwawberry Delight Roll, which came as a pleasant surprise to me (as i'm a pretty picky eater). We were completely enthralled by the presentation and execution of the cocktails. Best Yellow Tail i've ever had, and...all at a reasonable price. The service was amazing, especially considering we had a VERY unruly 18 m/o with us. Will definitely be making this our new sushi place. They even gave us free ice cream to go for my wife. Большое спасибо

1  Thank Buddy H