“We brought a conference group...”

Lodge of the Ozarks
Ranked #90 of 140 Hotels in Branson
“We brought a conference group...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

At the outset, you have to know that half the hotel has been remodeled. It is my understanding that the second half will be remodeled soon. As of this review, floors 1 and 2 were done. They were beautiful rooms! We brought a special needs parent group for a conference and had a wonderful time. The pool was very nice for families. The hotel was centrally located on the strip so that those without vehicles could easily walk to entertainment, food, etc. The staff was very nice and accommodating. Some of the carpets were older and stained, as noted in a few reviews, but those were cleaned prior to our arrival, and the conference room was beautiful. The hotel staff was very friendly and easy to work with. One of the gentlemen in maintenance saw me unloading tons of conference stuff in the rain and came out and helped me. Our families were treated very nice and we got great reviews of the hotel on our conference reviews. One thing people kept noting was that the hotel was more family oriented. With bigger conferences, sometimes the hotel is so pristine and cold that you don't feel comfortable with families. The rooms at this hotel were very nice (we got updated ones) but were not so formal that our families could not relax. They all voted to come back next year. I was very pleased with how well everything turned out.

Room Tip: For now, ask for a room on the first or second floor. Once the 3rd and 4th floor are remodelled, ju...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Lawyermom27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We booked two rooms at this hotel one king and one with two queen beds. The single king room was much nicer and seemed more updated than the queen room but both were clean. They do seem to have a challenge cleaning the lobby and other public areas. We found the staff to very friendly and accommodating. There were a few things that were on the tacky side such as requiring guests to go to the front desk for pool towels and displaying signs soliciting tips but I didn't find that sort of thing that unusual in a small town resort area. The complimentary breakfast was quite good with a higher quality of food than other hotels I have stayed in that offer breakfast to their guests. The hotel does seems to have a bit of an identity crisis when you consider all of the lodge theme decor and and the Las Vegas style lights on the outside of the building. Overall we were happy with our stay.

Room Tip: You should definitely asked for one of the more updated rooms and I would avoid booking one of the r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LD1463
Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We just got home from a 4 day stay at this Motel. The Lobby is nice and spacious, but that is where it stopped. The pool water was cloudy and had some sort of white film on top of it. There seemed to be plenty of chlorine, based on the smell. Our room was on the 3rd floor, overlooking the indoor pool. The pool stays open till midnight, and every night there were a host of children playing and squeeling past the midnight cutoff time. There were also noises of other people walking up and down the hallways and slamming their doors until the wee hours of the morning.
The maid staff had to be asked to service our room after the third day, (ignoring the "service please" sign) and the staff told us they usually don't service rooms that are staying over. She did service the room, make up the bed and bring fresh towels after being asked to do so. The room was comfortable and seemed to be clean enough. Our room was a king size bed and had an iron, hair dryer, microwave, coffee pot, and refrigerator. It also had a jacuzzi bath tub/shower. The interesting thing is there was an envelope asking for a tip for the maid staff when we arrived in the room.
Check in time is 3pm, and they adhere to this pretty strictly. Find something else to do until 3pm if you arrive into town earlier. Check out time is 11am, which is early since you have been kept up by screaming kids in the pool till after midnight.
The breakfast we ate at the attached diner was adequate and filling, but the one supper meal we ate there left a good deal to desired. The steak was greasy, thin, and tough and the pre-breaded shrimp were the frozen kind that you find at the grocery store.
The motel is next door to Mickey Gilley's theatre and restaurant, which had good food and a pretty good show called "SIX."

Room Tip: Take a room that is away from the pool area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ken H

Travelers are raving about these Branson hotels

Eagle Rock, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We read some other reviews that if you book through a other site you get a bad room. When we arrived the reviews were right we got a older non renovated room. The desk people came off rood. The room we did get was ok but no great. The hotel is convient to shows but I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: When you make a reservation ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Patrick D
St. Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed at this property on business for 7 nights.

The hotel is located on the strip with the Hughes Brothers Show on one side and Six's Show on the other. Both shows were great and just one minute walk from the hotel's front door. The noise from the show attendees in the parking lot is annoying when they let out.

The hotel was very comfortable but under staffed. The room was furnished with a microwave, small fridge and bar sink. The room always felt dark regardless of how many lights you turned on or how far you opened the curtains. The room was a little dated and they tried to give it the 'Lodge' feeling. There was a whirlpool tub in the bath however I never use them when I travel.

The food in the restaurant was very reasonable and good. For the price of a burger on the strip you can get a nice dinner at the hotel. I ate at the hotel 95% of the time even though there were plenty of restaurants within walking distance. The free breakfast buffet was excellent!

All in all it was a nice stay and the staff was courteous and helpful even though the hotel was under staffed.

Room Tip: Pick up groceries before you hit the strip, the tornado wiped out their grocery store.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank DGregory1
Omaha, Nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

I am not a picky person and most definitely not a vengeful one. The only reason I am writing this review is to save my fellow travelers the pain and frustration of a ruined vacation. I will try my best to be objective and state some of the concerns I have:

We went to the Lodge of the Ozarks because we had purchased a Groupon. When we went there it seemed like we were treated like second grade citizens because we did not pay the full price, They did not honor the groupon cash they gave us (we lost about $50 worth as they did not ho nor the Groupons).

Their toilets would leak creating moist floors in the bath. It was smelly. They did not change the towels or vacuum the floors. We had to ask twice in our five night stay for them to come back and redo (the janitors were very nice).

The breakfast was also very low quality. The eggs were made of something with preservatives. They tasted very bad. Their restaurants did not have any set times. They closed at random hours. When we asked about the closing times, three different waiters gave us three different times. We were told the restaurant closes at 4 on Sunday, we went to eat at 2 and were told that they were closed.The groupon cash that we used was not honored by the hotel staff.

All in all, it was such a frustrating experience. We vacation once a year and were really looking forward to some time off. But, the callousness and unprofessionallism of the hotel staff along with unclean rooms really ruined it for us. I hope that you will be saved of the trouble. I do not wish any one ill, but I truly hope they understand that we spend our hard earned money on our vacations and we deserve a good hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Triparna d
Leawood, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Booked a last minute trip on Expedia and as earlier comments have said, you are shunned for using travel websites to book a room here. We were put in one of the older rooms that has not been updated. Apparently there are some newer rooms and some older rooms. We asked about being moved to a newer room and were told to check back later. Checked back later and were then told to check back in the morning. Basically it seemed like we were being pushed off as a problem from one shift to the next because they didn't want to deal with the issue. I saw plenty of people checking out the next morning, yet none of the newer rooms were available. I feel like they could have accomodated us and let someone who checked in late take the older room, however we had booked through Expedia so I think they save the nicer rooms for people who book direct through the hotel website.
The hallways have not seen a vacuum in weeks. In the photos, there is a toothpick and other debris on the floor that was there from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning. It wasn't an isolated problem either because we parked at a few different entrances and walked many sections of hallway. I could have attached dozens of photos of debris in the hallways. The elevator was even worse. For goodness sake people, run a vacuum down the hall! Have you ever heard of steam cleaning carpets? Also, the bannister on the stairs was covered in dust from top to bottom, even at the ground floor. I could understand the very top landing, but failing to clean down at the lobby is awful. The toiletries they provide and very low quality, low end products. Be aware, your room is not cleaned on a daily basis, only when you check out is it cleaned for the next guest (you hope). I saw the housekeeping manager in the hallway one morning staring into a dirty room trying to figure out how it did not get cleaned the day before.
Breakfast buffet was nice except there is one lady to service 100's of guests for 3 hours. As a result, on our first morning they ran out of plates and knives. There was one pitcher of water and that didn't last very long with a few hundred people. They also ran out of clean tables due to a large group, but also because there was only one attendant servicing the whole thing. On day 2 they still did not have any knives plus they ran out of orange juice and pastries. When someone from the kitchen brought out more orange juice, they poured it from a large bucket into the serving unit. It was apparently from a concentrated mix because as he poured, a giant solid clump came out of the bottom. So it wasn't mixed correctly and tasted watered down for me. Whoever got the clumpy part got some surprise.
We returned to the hotel late on Saturday night and had to park in back. All doors were locked and there is no card access system. I had to drive back to the front, go inside, and ask to have a door unlocked. Then drove back around to a parking space and came into the building. Had I not done this, I would have to walk from around the back of the building to the front door which might be as much as 1/4 mile. No big deal for me (although I was tired), however I could see some having a big problem with this.
In our dated room, the shower handle have several pieces of plastic broken off of it. The furniture was beat up and the beds not very comfortable. I attached a picture of the ice machine, however you can't see it because it is blocked by a door so there was not way to get ice. There are fire doors at the end of the hallway and they are locked open and can only be released and closed by employees. Thus, when the door is open, which is most of the time, you can't reach the ice machine because it is strategically placed directly behing the open door. I attached a picture.
This is clearly a hotel on the decline and not worth the cost of $100+ per night. Its more like a $60-70 room. Either they can't find people to work here which is possible, or they are pulling every penny out of the property in profits. They need far more housekeeping help, far more restaurant/buffet help, and a working vacuum. The employees we spoke with were nice, its just not a well run operation. I agree with earlier reviews which suspect employees of writing the favorable reviews. I saw nothing favorable here. I would replace the head of housekeeping immediately if I had any say in it. Its a shame because it could really be a nice place. I will definitely not return and will try someplace else next time. Words can't express the disappointment.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family