“Nice rooms but the rest doesn't hold water, unless your a polar bear...”

Castle Rock Resort & Waterpark
Ranked #128 of 140 Hotels in Branson
Arkansas
“Nice rooms but the rest doesn't hold water, unless your a polar bear...”
Reviewed August 6, 2010

My family went to the hotel/ water park resort for my 6 year olds birthday week-end. The place was pretty pricey per night but it's advertisments were very compelling with it's GUARANTEED 84 DEGREE WATER YEAR AROUND. Upon arrival parking is tedious at best, I do not recommend this point of intrest for the elderly or anyone with a heart condtion, very hilly. The resort had a feeling of being very new or being very close to financial difficulties. They charged for everything that other reorts do not, for example: Refridgerator= $10 daily. There is no ice machines on the floors and no continental breakfast.
The resort and rooms although, were very nice and spacious and the beds slept well.

The water park itself was very nice and appealing upon first appearance: however; that impression quickly rapidly disappeared when my foot touched the water. The warmest any of the pools were during the weekend we spent there were approximately 78 degrees, and that was the smallest kiddie pool on our last afternoon of our 3 day stay. Previous trips to the pool areas resulted in immediate returns to our room. The water was to cold for even the kids to tolerate, their lips turned blue. The resort personel were uninformative, complacent, aloof, ineffective at best. If the situation was not covered by a set policy they refused or did not know how to respond.

Because of the resorts violation of their advertised guarantee of 84 degree water year around and that being the primary reason families would go there in the first place with small children, I would place an intrinsic value of our stay at only half of what we paid... which was $125.00 nightly.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank dlaw9737

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Clinton, Illinois
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We recently got back from Castle Rock Resort. Like another traveler on this review board, we stayed at the adjacent hotel atrium, not in the main tower building. We did have to wait until 4 p.m. to check in, which we didn't like, but that wasn't the hotel's fault that we arrived at 10:30 a.m. to Barnson. They did give us our waterpark passes at that time and suggested that we play in the park for awhile. I thought that was very nice. When we did get to our room, which was on the backside of the adjacent building away from the main building, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a very clean room and the air conditioner was very cold, which was great because it was about 100 degrees! We did not, however, have a micro/fridge in our room, which was disappointing. I called the front desk and for $10/day they brought one right to our room within15-20 minutes. I was impressed by that because there was no elevator so the poor maintenance had to carry it up those stairs!

The waterpark itself was GREAT for younger children. Our child is only 2.5 years old and he had a BLAST at the waterpark. I do agree that if you have older children, they will get bored because there are only 2 slides and then the lazy river, but I did see a lot of older kids having a good time.

The only complaint I would have is that the housekeeping staff did not clean our room one day. I am not sure why other than we were not out of the room when they came by, but we told them we were leaving, but they never came back to clean...they did, however, leave clean towels. I was also impressed with the fact that the owner came by twice to ask us how we liked our stay while we were at the pool...very nice.

I would suggest to Castle Rock that a continental breakfast should be offered at no additional charge. I missed that at this hotel and to be more competitive, I think it would be a great thing for them to offer!

Overall, I was a little leary after reading all of the negative comments, but after experiencing Castle Rock myself...I feel that we would definitely stay there again and probably will considering I just called another resort that has an indoor park and they were so rude to me on the phone that I will never stay there!

1 Thank DnzForce04
Jenks, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 25, 2010

My kids and I spent a long weekend at Castle Rock Resort this past weekend. When I called for reservations, the first call told me there was nothing available even though as I sat online it showed rooms available. I decided to call and ask again. This time, I was told that there were rooms available overlooking the waterpark with a king bed and bunk beds. Since I had promised the kids we could stay there, I jumped on it. The room at first glance was nice. But the king bed was extraordinarily hard and the bunk beds just felt like an egg carton pad on a piece of plywood. My son slept there the first night. Started out on top and ended up on the bottom bunk. The next night, he chose the chair in the room. Top off the uncomfortable beds with no a/c. To even get the fan blowing on it, I had to lay down in the floor and stick my finger in a hole in order to get it turned on. Lucky I didn't electrocute myself. Housekeeping only straightened up the bed, not the bunks and did not replenish any of the supplies. If you forgot something, they sold it in their gift shop for ridiculous amounts ($3 for a sample size toothpaste). There was not a breakfast or anything else complimentary as there are in many other hotels in the Branson area. Parking was a nightmare. The lot was small and over flow was in a dark area around to the side. The water park was fairly enjoyable for the kids. They ran up and down going to the slides, but the open slide (you go down without a tube) was dangerous. I went down once and hurt my shoulder. My daughter (15 years old) went down it and bruised her ankle badly. She said that you had no control of yourself whatsoever and she just went flying up over the edges of the slide. The lazy river was fun, but would have been much better had there not been small kids running around without tubes. It was fast moving and hard to stop. You literally had to brace your feet on the bottom to avoid hitting little kids without a tube. This was about it other than some kiddie pools and a joke of a dumping bucket (similar to the ones at the Great Wolf Lodges, but it only filled with about a foot of water and dumped). It was way overpriced and definitely not worth the money. I was strongly disappointed!

1 Thank annmarie318

Travelers are raving about these Branson hotels

Reviewed July 15, 2010

Don't be fooled by the fake bunkbeds in the picture. My son chose to sleep on the floor instead of this excuse for a bed. You can actually feel the boards just by pressing the bed with ur hand.
The doors and the beds squeak. There isn't a vent in the bathroom. We finally lowered the temp on the AC unit to 72 when it kicked in. The thermostat had to be off because we were melting.
And as far as advertising that the kids can watch tv from their own bed is crazy. They don't realize the angle is off and it's not a clear picture from the bottom bunk.
I'm not a picky person - but this was a lot of money to be such a false representation of what I'm experiencing. Paying for two rooms for two nights. Never again.

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank PNiell
Bella Vista, Arkansas
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Rooms smell of urine and beds squeak so bad, you can't sleep. Paid top $ to take grandkids to waterpark, but didn't let them use - go to hotel across the street - 1/3 of the price, beautiful, clean and FREE continental breakfast with entertainment. Castle motiff.

2 Thank arjanjoy1
Nevada
Reviewed July 11, 2010

I was very disappointed with this hotel. If you have small children under the age of 7 the waterpark would be great, for older kids they will get bored. It is not near as nice as it appears. The beds are the worst I have slept on in Branson in along time. They are out dated and as hard as a rock. Two people that I was with slept on the floor. The stool in our bathroom was broken. I do have to say the room was very clean, no issues there. There is a restaurant on site that we had breakfast at and it was very good. This is not a motel I would recommend for the price they charge. It is a $50.00 motel not a $150.00 one. I am not a particular person so for me to rate as I have it was not an enjoyable stay.

1 Thank skbkjb
benton
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Based on all the negative reviews for this Resort, I was very skeptical, but decided to try it one time and hope for the best. We just got back from a stay here with our two boys, 2 and 7. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, plenty of activities for the kids when you are at not out on the town. The rooms inside the renovated Tower building, with access to the indoor corridors/waterpark were $159, where as the Atrium building, were $109. We normally choose private balcony rooms, but since there were none, we chose a room on the extreme backside, farthest away from the waterpark and still was only about 30 seconds to walk through the parking area to access the outdoor park, which also led right to the inside park. ALL the lifeguards were very attentive, in which based on reviews, I wasn't expecting to see this. They were constantly moving around the vicinity of every slide, nook and cranny checking on every kid and thing going on. When we arrived, I went in, was greeted promptly and asked to see a room, they gave me a key card and I went on my way, when I saw the room was fine, we went and checked in. We chose the Atrium building, which were not as updated as the Tower building, but considering Branson and all the activities, as long as it was clean, we would only need it to sleep. The TV was fine, had plenty of channels and clear. The pools/park was very clean and the chlorine smell was not any different from any other water park I've ever been to, smelled CLEAN, in fact, I'm glad it did smell strong of chlorine, at least I know it was properly maintained for safety standards considering the amount of people visiting. If you want a basic room and don't mind a few second walk across their parking lot, the atrium building is fine for the money, considering what you get. I WILL definitely be bringing my family back in August, so much for the kids to do for the money! Thanks Castle Rock!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family