“Skip this one”

Ranked #124 of 140 Hotels in Branson
Arkansas
“Skip this one”
Reviewed August 9, 2009

We had 3 rooms in the "extra" building at this resort. When reserving we opted to save a little money by not staying in the hotel connected to the waterpark. Our assumption was that the walk across the parking lot would be the only difference for the savings. Now, we certainly HOPE that the hotel rooms are in better shape. We had a dead phone line in one room, a dead lamp in another. Even though there were lots of empty rooms, we were placed as far from the parking lot as possible. The room keys had to be "re-keyed" for two of the rooms, even though one key had been laying on the bedside table all day. We were told that the keys were very sensitive to being in pockets and purses-- but laying on a table?
And don't start looking for ice. The only ice machine was in yet a third building -- another walk across yet another parking lot. Totally unacceptible.
The high-speed internet connect was definitely NOT high-speed. There was barely a wireless connection -- so slow that many websites couldn't make it.
The kids loved the waterpark -- the only true bright spot of this visit.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
CastleSplash, Manager at Castle Rock Resort & Waterpark, responded to this review, November 23, 2009
On behalf of Castle Rock Resort & Waterpark, please accept my apologies for the difficulties which you experienced during your stay at Castle Rock. As a valued guest, we appreciate your business! I can assure you that the problems to which you have indicated have been addressed. I am sorry that the hospitality you received was not typical of our high standards. Castle Rock Resort & Waterpark hopes that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a wonderful stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
oklahoma
Reviewed August 1, 2009

My famliy and I come to Branson, MO every year at the end of the summer. This time we wanted to stay somewhere new. We choose the Castlerock because of the splash park. We arrived and almost instantly i had a bad feeling. The line at the counter was at least 12 people long, the woman at the front of the line was complaining that the price of her room was different than the price she was quoted. The girl behind the counter was not sympathetic at all and told her that she was welcome to find another hotel if the price was not ok with her. We were ready to be checked in and we were told that we owed 140.00 in addition to the price of the room for the splash park in the hotel. We were told when we made our reservations that the splash park was included in the price, we paid anyway because that was why we stayed there. We were disappointed in the fact that there is NO breakfast offered in the morning, but there is a semi-acceptable resturant in the hotel where you can buy your breakfast. I think for 130.00 a night i should at least get a contenential breakfast, we were told they offered breakfast but the front desk did not mention that it was not part of the hotel price. The staff was rude when we asked for additional towels. This hotel is not worth the money. The water in the pools had way toooo much chemicals added and it made my youngest daughter sick. The general manager did not ssem to care when i told her about it and when i asked her for her bosses number she replied that it was her dad. Apparently the hotel is owned by her parents, if i wanted a snotty hotel heiress to be rude to me then i would have stayed at the HILTON. At least i would of gotten a hot breakfast, clean towels, and a nice staff.

2 Thank cmbair131
Bryan, tx
Reviewed August 1, 2009

First of all, they charge extra for the water park, which is located on the property.....but no one even checks for the wrist bands once in the waterpark.... so you pay $30 more per night than if booked with waterpark access and you could still get in free. The restaurant there is not really a restaurant, more like a snack/ fast food place. Beds were tooooo soft, couldn't sleep well. And they do have fridges and microwave for an additional fee, unless you have a disability- then you get them free. Clean room, but will stay elsewhere next time we travel to Branson.

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Our first impression of this hotel was very good at first. We stayed in the new main building with the waterpark. My two boys, 5 & 7 loved their bunk bed with their own TV. I was impressed that the rooms were newer and clean. We went to the waterpark which the boys loved. The lazy river looked dirty - kinda like river water - I got in and got splashed and it felt like my eyes were disenegrating - the chlorine was so strong!!!! I immediatley had to get out and find a towel. I don't know how my boys were able to stand it - they did the waterslides for a couple of hours. I just sat and watched with my eyes burning still. That night my poor 5yr olds eyes were all bloodshot and looked like he got punched in both eyes. They had dark circles underthem and were all puffy. Then we went back to our room and I seen these weird bugs crawling on the wall in the boys bunk den. I've never seen bugs like this before-freaked me out when I went to kill them and they moved REAL fast. I killed 3 of them - then in the morning when I was taking a shower I seen 3 more!! Also, other reviews stated there was free breakfast-fruit, bagels, yogurt, etc. The night before I had asked someone where that was, and they said the continental breakfast was in the restaurant. My husband got up early and went down to get something to eat. He asked someone again and they also told him it was in the restaurant. When he went to check it out, they were hateful with him and said they quit that a week ago - It would be nice if they would update the other workers so they are not telling guests there is breakfast. The workers attitude about it really pissed off my husband - in the meantime I was freaking out about the bugs because I seen MORE. We decided then, after seeing my 5 yr olds eyes still red that we would not be staying another night. When I went to tell the front desk I spoke to a manager and told her about the bug situation. She said they spray everyday because of the waterpark and it was probably just waterbugs. Acted like it was no big deal. She did immediatly send mainteneace up, and I showed him the bugs (I noticed even more hiding up in the corners and creases of the walls) He said he would be right back to spray - I told him to just wait until we were gone because we were leaving right away. Also, the waterpark does have a lot of lifeguards on duty -which are all teenagers. I wasn't impressed that they blew the wistle on my 5yr old for running (kids get excited), but then they can goof off and flirt with each other by throwing cups of water at each other and one even ran up to the girl he was changing shifts with and knocked her in the water!!! - don't blow the wistle on my kid, then do something that would have gotten anyone else in trouble!!!

1 Thank calebnconnorsmom
Wichita
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Rooms were very clean. Staff was helpful when it was needed. Our daughter had more fun at the water park than she had at the other area attractions, because they have slides and pools that are age appropriate for younger kids. She isn't old or big enough to ride any of the rides at the local attractions. This was a perfect fit for our vacation. Will visit again

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Fort Smith, AR
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I read some of the reviews on here and to be honest, I was a little skeptical about booking our stay at Castle Rock. But I got the impression the bad reviews were from people who stayed in the old Atrium building. So I thought what the heck, we will give it a try. We stayed July 3-5th in the new Tower building. The room was clean. It is your typical motel room so don't expect anyting too fancy. The kids bunkbed room was very handy and my kids enjoyed having their own TV. The only downside to the room was that I requested a fridge for the kids drinks but they did not have one available. Luckily I planned for that and brought a cooler and just kept filling it up with ice from the ice machine that was on our floor (3rd floor has the ice machine). The other issue we had was our room had no wash cloths, only large towels. I called the front desk around 9 pm to ask for some. At 10 pm I still did not have any, so I went down to the front desk and there was a young girl working and she said she still had it written down but she was the only one working so she could not leave the desk. She was waiting for the maintenence man to come back from the other building to run them up to me. So I just took them myself. No big deal but a little frustrating. They were understaffed for a holiday weekend. The water park was great. It is good for young kids. Older kids and adults won't get much out of it. My kids are 6 and 3 and they had a blast. There were a lot of lifeguards on duty, all teenagers of course. All the pools and rides were working and it was clean. They do have some strict rules, like no outside floateys or pool toys, etc that seemed a bit strange. But all and all, it was much better than I expected and we would go there again. Just make sure you stay in the Tower Bldg. Also, the restuarant opened the day we checked in. We did not eat at it but it looked clean and nice. With some time to get an experienced staff, I think it will be a good place to stay with the kids.

Fort Smith
Reviewed July 5, 2009

WaterPark was great Kids cried wanting to swim more. Waterpark has lots of Lifeguards that wat nice.
Toured May 2009, Made reservations May 2009 for July 1 - July 5.
July 1 got room and waterpark bands (did not get our tickets for package until next day late).
July 2 Housekeeping cleaned room, July 3 Housekeeping emptied trash and fresh towels, next 2 days housekeeping didn't touch our room. (had to empty our own trash & get our own towels).
Talked to 4 different managers to try to get our 3 different invoices with 3 different amounts corrected. (we'll have to wait and see what comes in on our credit card)
Manager told us I will see what I can do about bill and get you some stay vouchers to give them a second chance, (well bill was not changed from the last one and now vouchers)..... Not a good experience for us.