“Clean, older property - nice stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Roark Resort

Roark Resort
Ranked #64 of 72 Specialty Lodging in Branson
East Texas
“Clean, older property - nice stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We booked a week at Roark-Branson through RCI. RCI lists this property as a Silver Crown Resort, but my experience has been that RCI hands out this distinction with little discretion. That being said, Roark is a nice property, even if it does look and feel like an "older" property. It appears to be an old motel that has been converted into condos. If so, they did a decent job.

I was a bit hesitant after reading other TA reviews (rule books, inspections, charges, credit card imprints w/ signature, etc.). But our experience was OK. Yes, they do take an old-fashioned paper imprint of your CC and they do ask you to sign it before you get your room key. Yes, they do tell you that you will be charged if you don't return the resort book, the two sets of keys and (bizarre) the remote control to the TV. No real concern, just different. We followed the checkout instructions when we left, returned the items as requested and watched the desk clerk shred the CC imprint.

Now, for the resort. First impression = pretty strong smell of cigarette smoke in the lobby when we checked in. Odd considering they have a $400 penalty for smoking in the rooms. Again, not a big deal, but a first impression is a big impression...and my first impression was the smell of an ash tray.

As for the condo, we stayed in the main building (1 BR), 4th floor. Thankfully, there was an elevator and bell carts available. I will agree with other reviewers - the rooms are dated...looks like they were furnished and decorated in the 80's (white melamine cabinets w/ oak trim). BUT, the room was clean. Carpet was clean. No smells (no smoke either). We didn't use the sofa bed, so cannot comment on it, but the king bed was fairly comfortable. The bathroom was nice with pretty tile work on the floor/walls. Our unit had a separate shower and a whirlpool tub. The shower is 3'x3'. Good water pressure, plenty of hot water, but cramped (I am a fairly big guy and I could have used another foot or two in that shower!). Didn't use the whirlpool tub, but I agree with other reviewers - the climb in/out of the tub is daunting, possibly dangerous for an older person (TALL wall and deep step down into the tub - needs a full length step on the outside of the tub). The kitchen was set up well with several appliances, full size fridge, etc. I was pleased to see one "modern" update to the room, a flat-screen TV in the LR. We didn't watch much TV, but there was a good selection of cable channels. So, the room was nice and clean and if you want to get really picky, I suppose you can complain about the 25 yr old "look" of the room. Personally, that didn't bother me - it was clean and comfortable, so we were happy.

Otherwise, the exteriors were clean. The indoor pool at the health club was nice. Hot tub and kiddie pool also inside, along with a wet and dry sauna, workout room, etc. They need to spend some $$ on maint/repairs, but it was adequate. (Insulation on ceiling of building has dry rotted and is falling apart in places)

One comment about the exteriors - the "sidewalks" in the main building felt like they were about to drop out from under my feet as I walked to the room. These are exterior corridor rooms and the concrete in the elevated walkways (2nd, 3rd and 4th floors) is coming apart. Dozens of cracks and as you walk, you can feel the concrete shifting beneath your feet. A bit unnerving.

As for the obligatory resort sales pitch, we arrived late in the evening, mid week. We were asked to step into the "sales" room after check-in to pick up our "delicious free treat". We opted out of the jar of jelly (??), avoided the confrontation and went straight to our room. I've been doing this time-share resort deal for 20+ years and have had my share of bad experiences with the resort tour sales pitches and after reading other online posts from people that took the tour, I knew better. So, I cannot personally comment on the experience, but there are plenty of people that have voiced a very strong opinion about the sales staff at Roark (and none were good).

In summary, I would recommend the resort. I love the location with easy access the the red and blue routes and the downtown shopping areas. It was quiet and clean...and there are times where that is just enough to make for a good week.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank EastTexasGMan

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Saint Joseph, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

One Bedroom Condo, Very Nice, Clean, well stocked

Excellent location for us, not on the main strip, but close to everything.

Beautiful pool and grounds, It is late in the season and the pool was cool, the outside hot tub was down that week for repair, that was disappointing.

The pool and hot tub at the fitness center was adequate, but not the same as seeing the stars and fresh air while soaking in a hot tub.

The fitness center is an actual fitness center, enough equipment for anyone from novice to muscle head. They have a dry sauna and a wet sauna, that was a nice option

The rooms were comfortable, the King bed was very comfortable

The bathroom has a whirlpool tub with plenty of hot water, the shower has Great water pressure, It is a great shower.

The kitchen had everything we needed, refrigerator, cooktop, microwave, all the utensils, pots, pans dishes etc. and dishwasher

NO OVEN,

Check-in was quick and easy, they gave us a welcome package containing Amish canned Peaches and ground coffee. They didn't try and push a presentation on you for their vacation club, They asked, I said no, and that was it.

You can buy tickets for shows and attractions there also.

We had a very nice stay and would stay here again

Room Tip: Try looking over the pool area with a 1 bedroom
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
South Haven, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We exchanged our points for this resort. It is on the East end of Branson, but close to the down town and Branson Landing. It is very quiet, has a great pool, and the resort - while older - is well runned for cleaniliness and most of the front desk is very friendly. There is a health club on site which offers a host of fitness classes and a massuese that is great. They do have a ticket outlet but not pushy in tying up your time. We would go back even though it is older resort. Assigned parking is fine, at least you know you have a parking place. Indoor and outdoor pool. Check - in was not a good experience and we got off on the wrong foot with the Management not believing us that the internet did not work. Found out later that is was off line, but Management felt it was us being "stupid".

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms right off the parking level. Otherwise you walked up 14 steps or down 14 steps.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very friendly staff and reception. Fast registration. Good location in Branson. Off busy roads,but close to all shows. Units do not have oven, washer or dryer. Coin W/D on site for use .
We knew there would be no oven,but missed it . Room clean but shows some wear and tear.
We had unit overlooking stream where people fished daily. Local tourist train passed 3 times daily, but was no problem.
Attended resort travel club talk for half priced show tickets. Presentation was 90 minutes long and interesting. Absolutely no pressure to buy, but travel club could be of interest to people who need help making travel plans.
Check out Macadoodles nearby for all your drink needs. Worth a visit even if you don't drink.

Room Tip: No screens on patio doors. Insects can be a problem if stream is not moving. If bugs, train noise a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KMHonest
Ottawa, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Roark Resort was very nice, clean, well located. We were on the second floor of a four unit condo. Loved the sky lights in the hall and main room. Had one problem that the bedroom TV was fuzzy. It was replaced the day I told them about it. Lots of activities if you want. Very friendly staff. Nice grounds. Were on an RCI exchange and the point value was excellent. Lots of help with tickets for shows and Silver dollar City. Great value for "Shepherd of the Hills" attractions. Décor was dated but nice. Full kitchen without oven. Lots of cooking utensils and place settings. Beds were clean and comfortable. chair in main room sagged but I still made use of it! Couch was fine. All in all, a good resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jpmeyers2003
Morton Grove, il
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Roark Resort. I purchased a "getaway package" from RCI timeshare and we stayed for 4 days.

We really enjoyed being able to fish on the property. Our 2 bedroom condo was right next to the dock so my daughter was able to fish every morning.

The resort is clean and well kept. The 2 bedroom unit that we stayed in was well furnished, well stocked, very spacious and clean but the microwave was really old and the living room furniture looked a little worn. The microwave was from 1983. I've never seen one that old. It worked fine but it took me a while to figure out how to use it because it was so old.

At check in I received my pool towels, TV remote, room keys and binder with resort information and rules. We also received a nice gift of coffee and a jar of peaches. I thought that the resort rules were a bit stricter than most other resorts and timeshares. For example if you get makeup on your room towels and housekeeping cannot remove the stain then you will be charged for the cost of new towels. I haven't seen that done before and I was a little annoyed. I don 't wear a lot of makeup but it was another thing for me to worry about.

The resort also does not provide a DVD player in the room. You can rent one for $2.50 a day but we just brought our own. We have small children and I need to play a video sometimes to keep them occupied.

The outdoor pool was very clean and the kid pool was really cute. There were cute little chairs around the pool and big colorful blow up balls for the kids to play with at the pool.

Overall there were quite a few things we liked about the resort. It was close to town but far enough away from the congestion and traffic of the downtown area to make it feel more relaxing. Fishing on the property was a huge bonus for us and the kids LOVED it.

I didn't like the extra rules the resort imposes on it's guests, the fact that the Continental Breakfast consists of just coffee, juice, donuts and cookies.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AriesgirlMortongrove
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We exchanged our time share to stay here. Stayed in a 1 bedroom condo. Very well decorated and very clean. The whole property is well maintained. The staff is very friendly and willing to help any way they can. A very comfortable and quiet stay by the water.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple