“Enjoyable night, but once was enough”

Shepherd Of The Hills Outdoor Theatre
Ranked #56 of 153 Concerts & Shows in Branson
More attraction details
Owner description: This family-owned attraction features the famous outdoor theatre where guests are transported back to the late 1800's and into the lives of the pioneers who settled this rugged area of Southwest Missouri. Based on Harold Bell Wright's bestselling book the show is now in it's 56th season in Branson. The Shepherd of the Hills is a time tested favorite for all ages. During the day there are guided jeep-drawn tours of the historic homestead, Inspiration Tower, the Vigilante Extreme ZipRider (which launches from the TOP of Inspiration Tower!) And Round-Up on the Trail Chuckwagon Dinner Show. It's a whole day of family fun at historic proportions! In November and December Old Matt's Historic Homestead is transformed into a magical Christmas wonderland. The Trail of Lights is an animated, musical drive-thru of lights, sound and motion and is open 7 nights a week. There are millions of twinkling lights and animated displays that celebrate everything from the whimsical to beautiful displays celebrating the true meaning of Christmas. There's also Christmas on the Trail Chuckwagon Dinner Show in the Pavilion Theatre. Favorite holiday carols and a delicious cowboy dinner in a rustic, cozy setting...And your ticket includes a journey through The Trail of Lights after the show. Christmas on the homestead has become a favorite holiday tradition for families. Come enjoy the most wonderful time of the year with us!
Hamilton, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Enjoyable night, but once was enough”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I really love the book and was looking forward to the play. The first thing they did when we arrived was take our picture (which we later bought), and then they take you down to the outdoor theatre by way of open trams. The show went from 8.30pm until 10.15pm. There was an intermission at 9pm where we were invited to partake in a hoe down. I have no quibble with the show itself, it was very enjoyable. The weather, unfortunately, was VERY COLD and this put a bit of a downer on things. It was quite hard to concentrate on the show at times because of the cold and wind. I believe they were close to cancelling the show, but didn't. There were only about 20-25 people there. They did have blankets they were handing out, but were charging for them. I personally thought this was a little bit mean. They were charging $2 for each blanket hired and the blankets weren't that big. I just thought they could have handed them out for free, like I say there weren't many of us there. The theatre is of course out in the open, down in the hollow of trees. If you go on a cold night, just make sure you wrap up warm. We enjoyed it, but once was probably enough.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank BHBaby

Minnesota
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Better than I expected”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Grandson picked this to do, I was apprehensive. It was fun and some great views were seen. Nothing spectacular but well worth the money.

Visited April 2013
Avilla, Indiana
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“The old west comes alive!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

While in Branson, you might want to take in the Outdoor Theatre at the Shepherd of The Hill. The story of the Shepherd of the Hill is famous to the Branson area and an entertaining one at that. We took in the full offering while there, which included a guided tour of the grounds, cabins and theatre , a real cowboy supper while being entertained by the Sons of the Pioneers music group(our favorite part!) and of course, the outdoor production of the Shepherd of the Hills. The production was not what I would call top notch, though it was entertaining. I think if you have young children, they would get a kick out of it. They also have a shop for homemade leather goods, knives and related articles to the show. If you are so inclined, there is an observation tower nearby, where you can go up and see the countryside. There is also a zipline ride there if you are willing. All in all a good way to spend some time away from the theatres in Branson.

Visited April 2012
Rusk, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“A bit over-hyped”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was not a bad experience but it did not live up to the hype. I was expecting better production value. It is not a cheap endeavor to take your family to and it just seemed very cheaply executed. It was a bit chilly the night we attended and I was astounded that they were renting blankets for the crowd. I thought that was very much taking advantage of the consumer. I was not impressed with the production and neither were my parents. I would never go back for this.

Visited October 2012
Illinois
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“AMAZING at Christmas!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We went through the Trail of Lights and it was great! My two children loved it and were amazed the whole time! you were taken to a new magical world full of lights, animals, magical creatures, and of course Santa Clause. Worth the money, I wish we would have went through again. Make sure you go up in the tower before you leave!

Visited December 2012