“SDC Christmas Event - Great fun!”
Review of Silver Dollar City

Silver Dollar City
Ranked #4 of 170 things to do in Branson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Branson's #1 attraction for over 50 years, Silver Dollar City features six world-class festivals, 30 thrilling rides & attractions, 40 live shows daily, 60 unique shops, a dozen family restaurants and over 100 demonstrating craftsmen.
Pennsylvania
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 178 helpful votes
“SDC Christmas Event - Great fun!”
Reviewed November 10, 2008

We went to Silver Dollar City on Saturday, November 8th and had a great time! The weather was very cold to the point where Powder Keg and WildFire had to shut down, but we did manage to ride both of these in the morning. If planning a visit during the park's Christmas festivities, note that some of the rides will close if the temperature dips below 40 degrees. We had a buffet lunch at Molly's Mill restaurant which was very good. When it gets dark, the park looks fantastic! I've never seen such an amazing display of Christmas lights anywhere, including Dollywood, the Disney parks, HersheyPark's Christmas Candyland, etc. Many of the park guests go to Silver Dollar City for the shows, so the ride lines were not bad at all. We did see the Dickens Christmas show in the Opera House which was excellent!! This was one of the best shows I have seen in a theme park. We bought the 'Show Lover's Pass' at the front of the park for $10, where you can show up 5 minutes before the show and be seated up front. This is the park's big show, so apparently people line up an hour in advance for a seat!! Note that we saw the second to last show and it looked like there were several rows empty in the rear of the theatre so it might be worth waiting. This is a great park without the Christmas theme, and even better with it, creating a wonderful atmosphere. Highly recommended!!!

3 Thank Thrillrider

• Thai first
Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Silver Dollar City”
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Our family of 5 went to Silver Dollar City. We had an ok time, it was a bit expensive to get in for the family, but we knew that before going. The first thing we did was go to the cave. They warn you about the walk, warn you about the steps, and they are not kidding, it was quite a walk. I was not that excited, the kids were not real excited either, they just wanted to ride the roller coasters. The rides are ok, about the same as a 6 Flags park. They have a lot of little shops with crafts and country cooking, which my kids had no interst in at all. I don't think we will go back, but we are happy we went to experience it.

2 Thank cassnkait
Chicago, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Best Park for a Family”
Reviewed October 15, 2008

We just returned from using two day passes at Silver Dollar City.
The park is perfect for families. Our children had a great time.
The roller coasters, big rides, animal exhibits, and other attractions such as grandfather's mansion were very entertaining. The park ambiance is second to none. I cannot think of any place else where the beauty of the wilderness is captured. There were trees surrounding all paths of the park. The fall decorations were amazing. The craftsmen (blacksmith, glass blowing, wood working, etc.), food making exhibits (candy, southern fried giant skillet, butter churning, etc.), kids water themed playground, and train ride with a surprise added to the unique qualities and experiences that you cannot find anywhere else. Perhaps the most unusual feature is that you can access Marvel Cave from the corner of a gift shop if you can climb under the plywood cutout which simulates the tight squeeze you will experience on the one hour tour. We also had a great laugh during our lunch buffet where we were seated at a table that slowly levitated until the kids could no longer reach their plates. The staff really got us good with the trick table. The shows were also very well done and lasted 45-90 minutes. All of this is included in the price of admission. Food and drinks are much cheaper than other theme parks we have visited. Expect to pay about $2.50 for a 20 oz coke and around $6.00 for an adult sized lunch.

There is no other place that we know of that combines great diverse family entertainment for a reasonable price. None come close to SDC. Also, there are many Christian themed items in the park. Some of the shows talk about Jesus Christ. There is a church on the property where services are held. We walked by as hymns were being sung. We thought this was great since we are a bible (i.e. KJV 1611) believing family.

If you are looking for fun rides, great food, wholesome entertainment, unique exhibits, all set in the beauty of the Ozarks, SDC is for you.

2 Thank ALITD
Wichita
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Overpriced”
Reviewed October 12, 2008

Rides were not fun at all. The staff at some of the rides looked as if they had better things to do than be helpful to you. Very hilly---not for people with walking issues. The cost did not match the hype of the park.

1 Thank Branson35
Florissant
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“amazed-my first time”
Reviewed September 29, 2008

Yes, I was one of those cynics who turned my nose up at the very thought of Silver Dollar City. I was wrong.

The following advice is from an adult doing SDC with a spouse. I don't know how parents and kids do it. I defer to their knowledge.

Here's the thing-it is tree-shaded. It has water fountains. But it also has considerable hills and twisty-turny walkways. It is difficult to get anywhere fast (and I think that's the point). On a hot day I think it would be sticky and miserable. I went on a beautiful September weekend. I made no plans and just wandered around the park. I carried a refillable SDC mug filled with iced tea, and nibbled as I wished. The theme here is RELAX. Patience is a must at SDC. Everyone is really nice and helpful. But rushing around won't make the day any better.

I spent a whole weekend there and did not see it all. Not even close.

I used a 2 for 1 ticket to get 2 days of SDC. I parked where the attendants said to park (for free), waited for the tram, then got in at the gate. I took a map/event brochure, sat down with some coffee and a turn-over, and looked over the events.

The crafters are great, and friendly. They are very talented. I saw knife-forgers, basket-weavers, loomsmen, potters. I loved that I could watch what they were working on and ask. The shopping is really good. I saw things I have never seen before. The prices are reasonable.

The food is really good. I was impressed. There is less junk food than most amusement places. I had BBQ, skillet dinner, and chicken-all fresh and filling. The desserts are top-notch, and they seemed to have less sugar than most. I did buy and use the refillable mug. Be prepared to share a table during busy times, smile, and ask the others at your table where they are from.

I cannot stress this too heavily: politeness counts. Everyone says "excuse me" and asks before they plop down beside you. The salespeople are polite. Your day will be so much better if you are polite back at everyone.

The shows are very, very American. We were there during "Cowboy Fest", but there was a wonderful emphasis on our troops-and remembering them. The musicians are really talented and I was surprised at how the entertainers interacted with the audience. That was cool. I could visit with the mustang rider, the mule-skinner, the pianist. Wow! I am not a "new country" music buff, but I liked the music. The old-timey pickin' and folk music was amazing.

Cannot wait to go back!