Meramec Farm
Budget Lodging(Saint Clair)
$89
$87
$74
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Since my first visit over five years ago, I have become a frequent visitor to Meramec Farm. I've had the opportunity to ride each one of the guest horses, most of them several times, and I've found them all to be well-trained, gaited, goin' horses. One of the best things about Meramec Farm is that guests get to RIDE the horses--no nose-to-tail here!

The owner is always happy to offer riding tips and friendly advice. She is also very generous with her vast knowledge of flora and fauna as well as entertaining in her stories and songs. I have seen lots of wildlife on the trails--deer, bald eagles, wild turkey, great blue herons, and coyotes are only a few examples. I've seen the spring flowers arrive, and I've hunted for fall mushrooms. There is plenty to do other than ride--lots of swimming and hiking nearby, as well as local sights ranging from caves to wineries.

Prices are reasonable, and the memories you'll make are bound to be ones that make you smile. I'll be visiting the farm again soon.

Room Tip: Two guest cabins--both are great.
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2010

My husband and I took a trail ride with the owner. We had my horse and we quickly found out the horse she rented to us had a habit of kicking horses it did not know. Why would she rent a horse like that to us knowing my horse is also going on the trail ride?

My girlfriends were coming down with their horses. We all paid money to keep our horses at the farm overnight. Before my friends showed up, the owner told my husband and I we needed to setup pens for the horses. I tried to explain that I've never done that before and she said something like well, that is why I'm telling you how. Her friend told us to just figure it out. I could not believe that she wasn't going to help us at the very least. It took us over two hours to setup the pens. I've stayed overnight with my horse at several very nice places that I would go back to again. Meramec Farm is a place I would not go back to and would not recommend.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends