“Bonne Terre Mine - back for more - Great Diving Experience”

Bonne Terre Mine Tours - West End Diving
Chicago, Illinois
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Bonne Terre Mine - back for more - Great Diving Experience”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Bonne Terre Mine is among the best in local diving. Just went back during the winter to get my gills wet again.

One of the great things about diving "The Mine" is that the weather is never an issue. No matter how bad it is outside, it'll always be 65 degree air, 58 degree water inside. The water is always calm and very clear, since you are diving in spring water. It's a great winter destination for much of the US.

For those of you who have been before, my main advice is stick with it! It gets more and more interesting every time. The trails get more challenging and there is a lot to see. Even in the parts that you have been to before, you'll notice things that you didn't see before.

On my most recent trip, our group visited "the city," an underwater time capsule of mining history. The city has multiple buildings including shops, offices, mule stables, and various furniture, such as desks that you can play with the drawers and contents.

The staff is really great and very professional, and very concerned about diver safety. Based on other reviews, some may consider this excessive, but it is reassuring when you are deep in overhead environments. As I've dove there more, the routines are very familiar, and I'm able to just relax and dive.

I have found that the mine has really grown on me. The main advice I can give is to keep coming back! The experience keeps getting better. Additional advice, like with any dive, is to be prepared. Plan for this like you would a boat dive. If you're on a boat and you have equipment problems, you'll miss the dive. It's similar in the mine. Use equipment you're familiar with. This is not a place you want to be trying out new gear.

The Mine is a truly unique dive site and worthy of adding to your bucket list.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Charles B

Tucson, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Unique Experience”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Just returned from two days of diving at Bonne Terre. Simply put it was a once in a life time experience that I would recommend to all my friends. Not only was the experience unique, the staff (Bear and Dick) were extremely professional and technically proficient; they also created an atmosphere like you are going on an adventure with some old friends. I would definitely do it again.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Lance H
Missouri
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Bonne Terre Mines Billion Gallon Lake”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The underground lake is one of National Geographic's 10 top places to see! Every year many scuba divers from all over the world come to our small town to dive in the crystal clear waters and look at all of the artifacts that were left behind when the lead mines closed. Everything from pick axes still stuck in the walls to the cargo cars still on their tracks. They also have walking tours as well as boat tours. The temperature stays at 60 degrees year round.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Susan R
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A most spectacular dive experience with some true professionals!!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My brother and I went on the underground tour at Bonne Terre Mines with our families and this introduction led us to query the folks there about doing a couple days of diving since we were certified divers: What an awesome experience!! Not only were the mines something to behold, but the folks from West End Diving/Bonne Terre made every effort to insure our underwater dive experience was a memory we would treasure forever.
This is one adventure that you do not want to miss. We enjoyed the diving, the education, and the personnel at both facilities who made this venture possible!!

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Jerry H
“By far the most amazing underground tour!!”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Highly recommend the mine!! Some of the most amazing views, crystal clear underground lake! Great guides! Very friendly! If you're lucky you will get to see some scuba divers!

Visited November 2013