“Walking tour only for us!”

Bonne Terre Mine Tours - West End Diving
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Bonne Terre Mine is an unique abandoned Mine. When the mine closed in 1962, the pumps wer turned off and it flooded. We maintain the lake level with pumps for the Boat/Walking Tours and the Scuba Dive Operation. All year long the temperature of the mine is 62 degrees. We are open 7 days per week until October 1. Tours start at 9:30 and go every hour on the half hur ie 9:30,10:30,11:30,12:30,1:30,2:30, and last tour at 3:30. Please arrive 30 mins prior to the tour you would like to take. No reservations necessary for groups smaller than 10.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stopped to take the tour of the mines and wanted to purchase both the walking and boat tour, but was told the boat tour was sold out. At the end of the walking tour it turned out there were only 3 people going on the boat tour, and on a boat that holds 22. The guide seemed a bit confused about what she had offered when we questioned why we couldn't take the boat tour. We even offered to pay for it. Very strange. The guide did provide a good history of the mine during the walking tour.

1  Thank Slb80
BTM_Staff, Manager at Bonne Terre Mine Tours - West End Diving, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

We regret your confusion before your tour with us. After interviewing the guide and manager, viewing the security cameras and listening to the audio it appears your description is not factual.
Both the guide and manager highly recommended the boat tour to you for an additional $7 each,
but instead you chose not to spend the extra money and told the guide you only wanted to do the walking tour. When your tour arrived underground at the dock 35 minutes later you told the guide you wanted to add the boat tour. All tours must be prepaid above ground. We hope you come back because our boat tour will exceed your expectations.

There are newer reviews for Bonne Terre Mine Tours - West End Diving

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just got back from diving with a group of five divers at BTM and was extremely impressed as I did when I dove with them five years ago. We did three dives Saturday and three dives Sunday. The mine, both topside and below was awe-inspiring. Will be back again most definitely! If I can offer any advice it would be to rent weights. I didn't five years ago but I did this time. It is very much worth the extra $, especially after your last dive and the rest of your gear is water logged so you won't want to carry up anything extra!!! Thanks everyone on the staff, you were all great.

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Great spot for a winter dive without a plane trip. Nate the Divemaster was terrific in every way. Fascinating place that's almost worth the trip before you even get wet, as the walk down and then seeing the mine is great all by itself.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

So, a buddy and I recently visited the mine for a 3 day trip (dove Friday and Sunday, took Saturday off to see other areas). Our experience was great and without complaint.

Being new to the diving community, I don't have anything to compare to BT, however, I'm already planning another visit...that being said, everything surrounding BT Mine impressed me.

In our group, someone lost a weight pouch on first splash. The lead diver had us stand by and retrieved the customers weight. The man descended 100+ feet, with a light in his hand and retrieved a customers weight pouch. He could have said "Here, dive with this rock in your hand for the next 40 mins", but he didn't...he solved the problem. Another in our group had a horrible mask flooding issue. The diver couldn't descend, or snorkel for that matter. One of the guides worked with him on the surface, solved the problem, and we all continued as though nothing happened. On the second dive another person lost a pouch. The lead diver again descended to retrieve the weight pouch. I know he went deep because he was down there for probably 20 mins as we swam to keep active. There were other little diver (customer) problems, those mentioned I was impressed with.

Water temperature. I dive a dive skin, 7 mil wet suit, and a hooded vest/torso hood and 5 mil gloves. For those who dive with similar gear, you know how quickly you heat up. Anyhow, once dressed I'm in the water quick and did not get even close to cold while in the water. Conversly, my buddy dove a 7 mil and was cold the entire time he was in the water...was it a fit issue? Perhaps not enough layers? I don't have the dive experience to say, however, my buddy never hesitated to splash on the subsequent dives.

I've read a few of the other reviews and, given the same situation, I would also be unhappy. I feel bad that not all were able to experience the mine. I, too, understood the NO REFUND policy. One of our divers wasn't able to return Sunday but was offered to reschedule for a later date.

Steps. Yea, the walk down and up 60+ steps with gear is a stinker. They have tanks on the dock so, to that, I was grateful I didn't have to pack an additional 30+ pounds.

Lighting - yes, I think they could use more.

Lighting - I never once felt I couldn't see where I was going.

Walk-through and boat tour. If I were just visiting the mine, I think $29 is a little pricey. Since I was diving, knowing everything about the area that I could is VERY important to me so, $29 was worth the expense. Would I take my family there for a walk-through and boat tour despite the expense....uhm, yes, I probably would.

Staff. I'm just going to say THANK YOU and hope to see you again soon.

Doug. My experience and conversations with him, which totalled many, were always professional and informative.

Complaints. I don't have a single one.

1  Thank Corey132
BTM_Staff, Owner at Bonne Terre Mine Tours - West End Diving, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

We appreciate your extensive review! We all appreciate your kind comments. We look forward to diving with you soon.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Group of 6 took the walking/boat tour. Tour guide was very friendly. 4 took the dive trip and they said three dives in one day was to much. Charge extra for weights which we have never had to pay for before on a dive trip. Walk up 65 stairs with all your gear.

1  Thank rlbritton